What's new

Turkey wants to become an ASEAN member

You could have used Turkey in your example seeing that standards of living in Romania are about as same as in Turkey with the minor difference being that Romania was ruled for 45 years by loonatics who starved their people and f-ed up the economy while Turkey was alligned with the Western block.

Anyway,this thread is a joke,Turkey benefits enormously from the trade agreements with the EU,agreements that will cease immediately if it decides to join another economic block.
Who is building all of your buildings, toilets, and infrastructure in Romania? I like Romanian people. I didn't meant it in a bad way.
That makes sense, to get concessions from the EU.

Although being a member of EAS, APEC, ADMM+ also has important political perks. Once Turkey become chairman of those groups (position gets rotated), Turkey will be in a position to put things on agenda the way Turkey wanted it to be. As I said, Turkey would basically gain instant political influence in Asia. In fact, Turkey would actually overtake countries like India in gaining political influence in the region.
At the moment Turkey can get the most from EU but currently they are not treating Turkey fair. It is very hard for Turkish businessmen to come to Europe while Europeans can easily come to Turkey. This is one example of the inequality. This has to change.

Who is building all of your buildings, toilets, and infrastructure in Romania? I like Romanian people. I didn't meant it in a bad way.

At the moment Turkey can get the most from EU but currently they are not treating Turkey fair. It is very hard for Turkish businessmen to come to Europe while Europeans can easily come to Turkey. This is one example of the inequality. This has to change.

A mixture of Romanian,European,maybe Turkish firms to.

i welcome our turkish friends to Join ASEAN. every time i'm on the phone with my family in Indonesia, they always talk about the famous Turkish Drama series that aired everyday.

and lots of them (i can't remember the names)

come and live in Bali, guys!!

ASEAN economic, political and diplomatic engine should be reformed to be able to accommodate this plan. In the current state, such broad unification will be quite odd, and put ASEAN in awkward position.

Ofcourse,unless the EU has a special trade agreement with ASEAN.One member can't be the odd one out.

Provided if Turkey was part of the EU , however, the EU is composed of 28 member states, wherein Turkey is not part of. Turkey is a trade partner of the EU and has made its application for accession, but , that has not be realized. I think that it would benefit Turkey to remain neutral to the EU, yet at the same time milk the economic trade potential. Turkey can join the ASEAN + 5 (or 6) framework.

Provided the Turkish side would look to maintain extra-hemispherical trade and political goals in the future. The latter seems realistic since Turkey's trade partners, her 2 major trade partners include the EU and Asia (East Asia, Southeast Asia, Southwest and Central Asia).

ASEAN economic, political and diplomatic engine should be reformed to be able to accommodate this plan. In the current state, such broad unification will be quite odd, and put ASEAN in awkward position.

Only in relativistic terms, however. If ASEAN plans to rise above mere provincial relegation such as just mere economics, then accession of Turkey and other relevant partners should be considered. Security and strategic measures should be taken into deep consideration. Turkey , as an economy of over $822 Billion is perfect. Her economy is already larger than most of the ASEAN member states COMBINED.

I mean, the economy of Laos and Cambodia is not even equal to the economy of Greater Istanbul Region, lol.

Only in relativistic terms, however. If ASEAN plans to rise above mere provincial relegation such as just mere economics, then accession of Turkey and other relevant partners should be considered. Security and strategic measures should be taken into deep consideration. Turkey , as an economy of over $822 Billion is perfect. Her economy is already larger than most of the ASEAN member states COMBINED. I mean, the economy of Laos and Cambodia is not even equal to the economy of Greater Istanbul Region, lol.

In a long term, yes. That should become goal of ASEAN grouping, to broadening the ASEAN network and strengthening its position by opening up membership to selective heavyweight countries that can push forward ASEAN economic, political and security agenda in the future.

And with this set of goal in mind, Indonesia and Turkey should intensify their diplomatic machine to gather required support from other ASEAN members, if they really serious about the plan. As for Indonesia position, i believe it is in our interest to bring Turkey inside as they are our potential economic, political and development partner.

Adding more G20 members into the group would be good for ASEAN.

Last edited:
Of course China can join the EU, provided that China satisfies the requirements for admission:

The accession criteria, or Copenhagen criteria (after the European Council in Copenhagen in 1993 which defined them), are the essential conditions all candidate countries must satisfy to become a member state. These are:

• political criteria: stability of institutions guaranteeing democracy, the rule of law, human rights and respect for and protection of minorities;
  • economic criteria: a functioning market economy and the capacity to cope with competition and market forces;
  • administrative and institutional capacity to effectively implement the acquis* and ability to take on the obligations of membership.
The Union's capacity to absorb new members, while maintaining the momentum of European integration, is also an important consideration.

The EU reserves the right to decide when a candidate country* has met these criteria and when the EU is ready to accept the new member.

Please read more if you would like,
EU - Enlargement - Accession criteria - European Commission

May China's aspirations live 10,000 years...!
:)
If having enough money and power, they will remove this shit term themselves and invite us in. And if we have more money and power than EU, what's wrong with us to join this failed union.
We have no this stupid interest like "departing from Asia for Europe", we just like being ourselves.

Last edited:
Hey @Nihonjin1051, that's a good topic.

If we are talking about genetic composition of Turkish people in Anatolia there are quite a few well established works that definitely claims gene pool of people of Turkey are originating in Anatolia and resembles it's surroundings, there is some mixture -albeit very little- of central Asian genes.

If you ask the regions that is most influential for Turkis people's gene pool, the regions are :

Mediterranean region : 25% of Anatolian people carries the same hablogroups with South Italy, Greece and other Mediterranean shores.

Western Europe/North West Asia : 15% of Anatolian people carries same hablogroups with Western Europeans (i.e. Britain, France and Northwestern Asia i.e. Slavic people)

Causcus : 11% of Anatolian people carries same hablogroups of people from Causcus.

North Africa : 11% of Anatolian people carries same hablogroups with people from North Africa -mainly Egypt- .

Middle East : 9% of Anatolian people carries same hablogroups with Arabic people in Middle East. This genetic composition is predominant in Eastern and Southeastern parts of Turkey where large groups of Kurds and Arabs living.

The list goes on. If you have time you can read the entire wikipedia article.

Genetic history of the Turkish people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course if we are talking cultural resemblance Turkish people took their language from Central Asia and took their religion from Middle East. Both language and religion are extremely important for culture. The political environment and system definitely resonates with European values more than they do with Middle Eastern or Central Asian countries. Women has the right to be elected (and we had a women president) and to vote since 1934, Turkey conducts multiple party elections since 1946. Neither Middle East nor Central Asia has the history of making elections like that or providing political rights to women.

Turks from Turkey are just that, from Anatolia. The Central Asian influence is purely linguistic and religious. Nothing else. But that doesn't matter. What matters is how people feel and act. I mean let's be real. If Turkey and Japan want to join hands, for example, that should only be based on mutual interest and economic interest etc, not because some 'khan' a couple zillion years ago 'bonds the two'. This isn't a high school dating class, it's hardcore business. Turkey wants jobs and a strong economy, Japan wants jobs and a strong economy. Even if the Japanese were aliens and came from Mars yesterday, if Turkey has mututal interest, go for it.

Turkey wants to be a part of ASEAN? Next Japan wants to join the EU and Britain wants to be part of SCO.

Why not? If China wants to joint SAARC, why can't Turkey joint ASEAN? Extrapolate a bit.

Because China has border with SAARC, unlike Turkey which is miles away, as a Southeast Asian, I have a lot more knowledge of this rather than a Japanese.

Hopefully no negative rating this time, seems like you resort to abusing your powers if you cannot answer properly.

The less you make personal attacks, the less you will be rated negatively. By all means, go ahead.

Turkiye in ASEAN - I didn't know that was possible ? :undecided:

I thought one has to have some sort of geographical continuity with an ASEAN member state as a prerequisite for membership !

Turkiye in ASEAN - I didn't know that was possible ? :undecided:

I thought one has to have some sort of geographical continuity with an ASEAN member state as a prerequisite for membership !
I know right, I'm with expanding to at least some eastern asian nations and pacific island nations, but turkey that's beyong my imagination.

Back
Top Bottom