What's new

Turkey wants to become an ASEAN member

Somebody should show them a map.

Somebody should show them the economic & political benefit that we will have if this deal break through.
17kdjxvdqvygyjpg.jpg

The only "real" argument against this is that Turkey are too far away or that Turkey is a Muslim country. Despite the group enlargement also included countries from the Pacific & South Asia & nobody seems to raise any question over it.

Last edited:
you had to be an Ungrateful prick for that? you have no shame at all?
To cite a million dollars of aid 7 years ago as a reason to be 'grateful' is quite ridiculous.

Considering you guys been under a brutal dictatorship I guess some easing must have been a welcome sight, but the rest of the world still considers Burma to be a military dominated government. A simple google search can do wonder. Do you even have google where you come from? :)

75% of both our upper and lower house are democratically elected.

Now let's look at our neighbourhood.

Thailand - military junta
Laos - one party communist state
Vietnam - one party communist state
Indonesia - nascent democracy only a few years out from dictatorship
China - one party communist state
Bangladesh - a hair's breadth away from islamic revolution
Brunei - absolute monarchy

I think we're doing OK enough not to be known as a military regime.

But you can always google it if you're unsure:
Google

Probably an observer status.

Turkey not going to gain anything becoming part of ASEAN

Yes, at least an observer status. I'm sure there is no reason why Turkey cannot join the ASEAN + (n) framework.

Afterall we already have seen the creation of the:

• ASEAN + Japan
  • ASEAN + South Korea
  • ASEAN + China
  • ASEAN + USA
  • ASEAN + India
  • ASEAN +5

Somebody should show them the economic & political benefit that we will have if this deal break through.

Precisely, think of also the trade benefits and potential. Including Turkey into this ASEAN + (n) framework would open doors to ASEAN member states to trade with Central Asian countries in higher levels than currently seen now. Why? The fact that Turkey is embedded in economic and cultural ties with countries such as Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan etc , means that an an integration of Turkey into the ASEAN platform will mean a gradual exposure of the Central Asian Republics to ASEAN.

Secondarily, these countries are rich in rare earth metals, natural gas, petroleum; including such energy rich land locked countries in direct trade, cultural trade, socio-cultural bilateralism with ASEAN would bring in the perks of increased tourism, trade and investment. We're talking about from the grassroots level to the national polity level.

Third, I am looking at this in the lens of the mature development of ASEAN from merely just a regional organization, to one that will have a global reach, and one that will thus attract more investments and confidence from international partners.

That's the angle I'm coming from.

17kdjxvdqvygyjpg.jpg

The only "real" argument against this is that Turkey are too far away or that Turkey is a Muslim country. Despite the group enlargement also included countries from the Pacific & South Asia & nobody seems to raise any question over it.

In other words, some people can only see the rice farm. I , however, see the whole Rice Farming Valley and the fishing port to boot. We have to think of the 'bigger picture'.

To apply it to practical sense; If a man sees a beautiful woman, he sees her body, but a wise man sees the woman not just as the physical satisfaction for his basilar needs, he sees the woman and equates that as wife, mother of his 4 children, and partner for life. We have to think of the 'larger' picture. The dialectics of 'Potential' , if you may.

Regards,

4 children,

Regards,
Whoa that's a bit too much, how about three :partay:

I'm sure what Erdogan say is just a lip service, no need to be serious about it. Based on geographical, i think it's make more sense for Bangladesh to join ASEAN.

@alaungphaya No need to be serious about my buddies @Reashot Xigwin Indonesia herself has managed to pass what Myanmar face today. I'm sure if Myanmar will improve a lot after its conversion to democracy, although it's still a long way to go.

is it supposed to be a joke? if not, turkey has long sought membership to the european union. will she give up the goal? I can´t imagine how turkey will fit into asean organisation.
I think its to play a more active role in countering China

Whole of Europe, geographically, is a subcontinent of Eurasia. Europe is an arbitrary continent and since Turkey is considered European because of its European holdings which include Constantinople ,a city which Europeans wanted back from muslims less than 100 Years ago, it is a European country.
Turkey is transcontinental nation

Yes, at least an observer status. I'm sure there is no reason why Turkey cannot join the ASEAN + (n) framework.

Afterall we already have seen the creation of the:

• ASEAN + Japan
  • ASEAN + South Korea
  • ASEAN + China
  • ASEAN + USA
  • ASEAN + India
  • ASEAN +5

Precisely, think of also the trade benefits and potential. Including Turkey into this ASEAN + (n) framework would open doors to ASEAN member states to trade with Central Asian countries in higher levels than currently seen now. Why? The fact that Turkey is embedded in economic and cultural ties with countries such as Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan etc , means that an an integration of Turkey into the ASEAN platform will mean a gradual exposure of the Central Asian Republics to ASEAN.

Secondarily, these countries are rich in rare earth metals, natural gas, petroleum; including such energy rich land locked countries in direct trade, cultural trade, socio-cultural bilateralism with ASEAN would bring in the perks of increased tourism, trade and investment. We're talking about from the grassroots level to the national polity level.

Third, I am looking at this in the lens of the mature development of ASEAN from merely just a regional organization, to one that will have a global reach, and one that will thus attract more investments and confidence from international partners.

That's the angle I'm coming from.

In other words, some people can only see the rice farm. I , however, see the whole Rice Farming Valley and the fishing port to boot. We have to think of the 'bigger picture'.

To apply it to practical sense; If a man sees a beautiful woman, he sees her body, but a wise man sees the woman not just as the physical satisfaction for his basilar needs, he sees the woman and equates that as wife, mother of his 4 children, and partner for life. We have to think of the 'larger' picture. The dialectics of 'Potential' , if you may.

Regards,

seconded.

even USA which is FAAAAAAR away from Asia is joining ASEAN. this should pushes other G20 Members like Russia or Saudi Arabia to join as well

To cite a million dollars of aid 7 years ago as a reason to be 'grateful' is quite ridiculous.

but they DID help, right? that means they do care for Myanmar. hence my point.

you're lucky it's not Tony Abbot who gives the aid. he'll ask to REPAY them back even if it's 11 years ago.

I'm sure what Erdogan say is just a lip service, no need to be serious about it. Based on geographical, i think it's make more sense for Bangladesh to join ASEAN.

@alaungphaya No need to be serious about my buddies @Reashot Xigwin Indonesia herself has managed to pass what Myanmar face today. I'm sure if Myanmar will improve a lot after its conversion to democracy, although it's still a long way to go.

I'm not taking it seriously. It was in case anyone else was taking it seriously.

Myanmar would absolutely block BD from joining. Do you know what would happen if BDshis had freedom of movement into Myanmar? Or to places like SG or Msia? Infact, that probably prevents them from joining.

75% of both our upper and lower house are democratically elected.

Now let's look at our neighbourhood.

Thailand - military junta
Laos - one party communist state
Vietnam - one party communist state
Indonesia - nascent democracy only a few years out from dictatorship
China - one party communist state
Bangladesh - a hair's breadth away from islamic revolution
Brunei - absolute monarchy

I think we're doing OK enough not to be known as a military regime.

But you can always google it if you're unsure:
Google

Why 75% that's almost 80%!!! Much advancement, so democracy. Even though that some ministerial positions are still controlled by the Junta & let's not forget that the Junta still owns a large part of the Burmese Economy. That means the Junta not only have you by the ball, they have you by the cock & you guys called it a Democracy?

Only a retard or a government shill actually believes whatever the Junta said which one are you?

Google it!

I'm not taking it seriously. It was in case anyone else was taking it seriously.

Myanmar would absolutely block BD from joining. Do you know what would happen if BDshis had freedom of movement into Myanmar? Or to places like SG or Msia? Infact, that probably prevents them from joining.

Fear mongering. Is that your only defense? Whether or not Turkey or BD joins is up to the government involved.

alaungphayaNo need to be serious about my buddies Reashot Xigwin Indonesia herself has managed to pass what Myanmar face today. I'm sure if Myanmar will improve a lot after its conversion to democracy, although it's still a long way to go.

Different types of animal. We take our freedom by our own hands & their freedom were given to them on the Junta's own term. As long as the burmese never questions the status quo nothing will changes. Even a move to changes the constitution were blocked recently.
reformasi.jpg

http://thediplomat.com/2015/06/myanmar-fails-to-curb-its-militarys-power-ahead-
of-elections/

The failure of the constitutional amendments is no surprise since it would curb the power of the country’s powerful military, which has a stranglehold on parliament.

Last edited:

I wonder why that person from Myanmar doesnt try to explain Singapore democracy status which is actually much much less in quality than what is in Indonesia, despite Singapore just only has around 5 million people, small land, and most of the population are educated ones.

Just stating my opinion. Its called free speech. That's something that Vietnam never have. :D
FYI my opinion have no bearing to my government views of ASEAN. Just saying it needs to drop its ineffective "Non- Interference policy." Which means a stronger authority of which I believes that Indonesia should fulfill.

I think there is interference going on in Indonesian side to push democracy in Myanmar. Previous visit from former Indonesian foreign minister, Marty Natalegawa, to Aung San Suu Kyi place is part of it

20120223BertemuSuuKyi-291211-1x.jpg

129458_menlu-marty-natalegawa-dan-daw-aung-san-suu-kyi_663_382.jpg

Back
Top Bottom