What's new

Turkey wants to become an ASEAN member

It is not even on same continent!!

That's why.. to avoid awkward positioning, ASEAN should be transformed into ASEANCO, ASEAN Cooperation Organization. So we have more flexible room to expand this organization.

Just like SCO.

It is not even on same continent!!

turkey_map.gif

Whole of Europe, geographically, is a subcontinent of Eurasia. Europe is an arbitrary continent and since Turkey is considered European because of its European holdings which include Constantinople ,a city which Europeans wanted back from muslims less than 100 Years ago, it is a European country.

That's why.. to avoid awkward positioning, ASEAN should be transformed into ASEANCO, ASEAN Cooperation Organization. So we have more flexible room to expand this organization.

Just like SCO.

Turkey wants to be in ASEAN let them in ASEAN.

The way I see it, the future is on the enlargement of these so called political blocs. We've seen the growth of the African Union, European Union, BRICS, USAN (Union of South American Nations), and now ASEAN.
Membership shouldn't just be limited to or constrained to geographical location, but should be based on ideological pursuits. Most of the countries in ASEAN are democracies (republics: Indonesia, Philippines; constitutional monarchies: Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia; absolute monarchy: Brunei; military government: Myanmar). Overall, the majority of ASEAN nations are democracies with a lively citizen participatory representative government. This aspect makes Turkey, a democracy, an ideal partner and an ideal member. Besides, Turkey is a large nation (80+ million) , with a relatively healthy growth rate and a healthy gdp per capita. Secondarily, Turkey is an advanced military power with a healthy indigenous military industry.

Imagine the possibilities in including Turkey into ASEAN.

But the thing is that ASEAN is a regional association.

The last time there was a trans-national group in Southeast Asia that includes countries outside the region is SEATO and despite the name, it didn't include many SEA countries - it only has the Philippines and Thailand as the members that belong to SEA while Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia are the target of SEATO for containment.

Needless to say, it ended up as a failure.

Rather it should be Turkey-Indonesia economic cooperation first. Turkey is a huge market ( with their European market door ) and Indonesia is also a huge market. Better make it between two of us first, and see whether it is really benefiting before opening up into a broaden cooperation. About 3-4 years from now, Indonesia and Turkey in combined are expected to be 2 trillion USD in nominal GDP, and these nations are both developing ones. In the old time Ottoman Empire has also had special relation with so many kingdom in Indonesia, especially Samudra Pasai in Aceh, so we can try to restart this one.

Win Win.

Last edited:
I think Indonesia would definitely benefit from R&D partnerships with Turkey.

Exactly, we would be really happy with it:

FNSS/Indonesian Government/Undersecretariat of Turkish defence industry signed an agreement to develop a light tank concept based on Kaplan-20 to be Indonesian main light tank/IFV vehicles.
kaplan-20.jpg

Last edited:
Whole of Europe, geographically, is a subcontinent of Eurasia. Europe is an arbitrary continent and since Turkey is considered European because of its European holdings which include Constantinople ,a city which Europeans wanted back from muslims less than 100 Years ago, it is a European country.

Turkey is part of both Europe and Asia. Culturally, the Turks are Middle Easter, Linguistically speaking they are Central Asian, ethnically they are a beautiful mixture of Central Asian and Middle Eastern with a tad bit of European.

But I consider my Turkish brothers as Asian.

@xenon54 @Sinan @atatwolf @Lure @Hakan

Nah it just a smooth talking and little chit-chat, nothing can be serious about this issue

I think it wont go any further than a free trade agreement, theres just a too big geographical distance for a close relationship in EU style.

The cooperation with Indonesia is already on a high level where booth countries develop defence platforms for Indonesian needs.
It should also be mentioned that the cooperation with Malaysia and Thailand also has a lot potential.

I think Turkey and Japan can recreate the silk road again. Europe's economy is stagnating. Turkey has the luxery to choose for both. Why just choose one union?

I think Turkey and Japan can recreate the silk road again. Europe's economy is stagnating. Turkey has the luxery to choose for both. Why just choose one union?

Precisely, my brother. I believe Turkey and Japan can be engines of growth for an Asian Maritime Silk Road. From Turkey to the West, and Japan to the East, and the rest of Asia in between.

I also hope to one day see more joint Turkish-Japanese naval exercises in the Black Sea and in the Sea of Japan.

Merhaba! Ottoman-Japan ! :)

Exactly, we would be really happy with it:

View attachment 242914

Such a beautiful piece of military machinery, brother. Japan should purchase these to augment our own ground forces.

I love the sleek design....

More of this, my brother !

10659160_918514698210249_4254010796283456969_n.jpg

10427993_918514691543583_1758245762037833378_n.jpg

10245345_918514664876919_7670756966132878569_n.jpg

is it supposed to be a joke? if not, turkey has long sought membership to the european union. will she give up the goal? I can´t imagine how turkey will fit into asean organisation.

Back
Top Bottom