What's new

Turkey to upgrade PAF F-16s

these things take time to upgrade.

I would rather they take long time, but they ensure that the procedures are done correctly.

This isn't installing an exhaust system and subwoofers in a Corolla. This is a serious job involving high tech aircrafts. Removing of old parts, replacing with new ones. Working on air-frames to ensure they are updated. Testings and trial.....etc. And it is 46 aircrafts in total if i am not mistaken

p.s. I know the Turk mentality. They are like perfectionistst. They will make sure that everything is 100% up to specifications. Upgrading an older F16 to be compatible with block 50/52 takes a lot of time, a lot of parts replacements, and a lot of testing and more testing to ensure quality.

We should be happy that we will basically be getting brand new F16s once the MLU is complete.

Turkish Aerospace Industries was given contract by Lockheed Martin USA to upgrade PAF's fleet of older F16s (the F16 A/B block 15 aircrafts which we acquired in 1980s)

they will be upgraded; airframes will be renewed, avionics and radar improved. Also I believe we will get the Sniper targetting pods

All F-16s at the PAF inventory will have the same standard of operation, meaning compatibility and usage.

PAF will get 18 new F-16s which will be 52 or 52 + by 2010 hopefully
This means old upgraded F-16s will also have the same configuration as new F16s --and with new AEW&C aircrafts establishment of data-link will be possible
It is believed that 2 F-16s will be upgraded at TAI facilities and the rest in Pakistan probably Kamra or Sarghoda

A total of 14 block 30 F-16s were delivered to Pakistan by US, as aid and all have arrived as of August 2008. I am assuming those are included in the TAI services tender

Special kits mean, the upgrade kits, these upgrade kits will be integrated with the assistance of TAI, Pakistan does not have the knowledge, expertise and integration permission on there own by the US, that is why the work has been tendered to TAI after competition --since TAI is licensed by Lockheed Martin to assemble and upgrade F16 airframe/engine/etc.

It is 46 aircrafts in total (if i am not mistaken) that will be upgraded and delivered to Air Force of Pakistan

hope that helps

why cant this be posted in the F-16 discussions stickey???

that would have been a more preferrable outcome...maybe mods can merge it

the US MLU and the turkish upgrade programme are different projects! yes some of the MLU may be carried by the turkish assistance once we get the MLU kits but apart from that the turkish also have an upgradation pack for our F16 and that is what this thread is about!

let us not mix them up freinds!

regards!

TAI TO MODERNIZE PAKISTAN F-16's

In addition to modernization of Turkish and Jordanian F-16s, TAI will modernize the F-16s that are in the inventory of Pakistan Air Force (PAF) and thus become an important, reliable and preferential center of F-16 modernization.

Ankara, June 29, 2009 –Turkish Aerospace Industries, Inc. (TAI), which is Turkey’s center of aerospace, has acquired an international success by signing a contract regarding the modernization of PAF F-16s.

Under the program, the financial dimension of which is around 75 million US Dollars, a total of 42 F-16s will be upgraded at TAI’s facilities in 46 months starting from October 2010.

A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), regarding the start of proposal process of PAF F-16 Modernization Program, was signed between TAI and PAF during IDEAS Defense Exhibition in September 2006 in Karachi, Pakistan.

Being invited to the international bid for PAF F-16 Modernization Program, TAI, among other European competitors, was announced as the main contractor of the program following the final evaluation of Pakistan authorities in July 2008.

Following the negotiations, which started in 2009 between TAI and Pakistan authorities, and the mutual agreement, the contract was signed between TAI and Pakistan Ministry of Defense Production on June 29, 2009 at a ceremony held in Rawalpindi-Pakistan.

In 2006, as a result of another bidding process, TAI, which had signed an agreement with the Royal Jordanian Air Force (RJAF) for the modernization of RJAF F-16s, has successfully completed the program with the delivery of the last aircraft in April 2009.

Being among the best companies in the world in the field of F-16 modernization, there is no doubt that TAI will successfully realize PAF F-16 Modernization Program.

In recent years, filled with intense competition in the field of defense and aerospace, TAI, which has not only been on the move with its successful programs and effective management, but also become well known in export programs, will continue rising with new programs.

TURKISH AEROSPACE INDUSTRIES INC.

This isn't installing an exhaust system and subwoofers in a Corolla. This is a serious job involving high tech aircrafts. Removing of old parts, replacing with new ones. Working on air-frames to ensure they are updated. Testings and trial.....etc.

Sir,
all things will be upgraded, what about the Main thing--Engine- heart will be upgraded or not ?

Sir,
all things will be upgraded, what about the Main thing--Engine- heart will be upgraded or not ?

yes of course. The older F16s will use newer F100-PW-229s

(could be F100-PW-129s, I'm not sure). The difference between the 2 is only about 400 lbs of thrust......

but this will be over 5,000 lbs of thrust improvement over the old Block 15 engines

=)

now that engine upgrade comes in the US MLU programme and not the turkish STAR upgrade programme, the star upgrad will include incerased serviceability of air frame along with modrenization of some components of avionics while the US MLU will give engine upgrade, sniper pod, AIM120 firing ability and avionics upgrade to carry out these equipment!
i hope this makes the difference between the US offered MLU and turkish offered STAR upgrade programme! for further detail go through the post of
mean-bird in the thread

that will be helpfull!
http://www.defence.pk/forums/military-aviation/15226-pakistan-f-16-discussions-2-a.html
regards!

Back
Top Bottom