What's new

Turkey limits defense sales to India to appease Pakistan

Turkey followed a policy of restricting arms sales to India in order to not irk close ally Pakistan, a senior lawmaker from the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) recently revealed.

Speaking to the members of the Defense Commission in the Turkish Parliament in December, the commission chairman, Faruk Özlü, said the government directive on the sale of defense products to India was restricted to non-lethal items only when he was involved in talks as the deputy head of the Undersecretariat for the Defense Industry (SSM), the government's top arms procurement agency.

“I wanted to finish my speech with an anecdote,” Özlü said, while moderating the debate in the Defense Commission on Dec. 9 meeting where he volunteered the information to lawmakers. He said he went to India for a defense industry fair and was accompanied by officials from ASELSAN, a state-owned defense giant in electronics and weapons systems in Turkey. He said ASELSAN officials told him about the possibility of marketing military-grade handheld radios to India in large quantities.

Özlü said the Turkish Foreign Ministry's view, as relayed by the Turkish Embassy in New Delhi, was “If it is not an explosive, guns or deadlier arms such as missiles, then items like radios and vehicles can be sold.”
“I mean [to do so] without alienating or offending Pakistan,” he added.
The policy of restricting the sale of defense products to just non-lethal items for India was never announced publicly by Turkey.

The chairman of the Defense Commission did not disclose the date of the visit to India but said Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu was foreign minister at the time. Davutoğlu served as foreign minister between 2009 and 2014.
He noted that the policy on defense product sales was decided jointly by the Ministries of Defense and Foreign Affairs, as well as by the office of the Chief of General Staff.

Turkey has friendly bilateral relations with both Pakistan and India, but leans towards Pakistan due to their long historical and cultural ties. Turkey and Pakistan support each other on all international platforms, and Pakistan has adopted a highly supportive approach on international matters that are of special interest to Turkey.
Turkey has also started displaying more interest in cultivating better ties with India as part of its policy of opening up further to Asia and Southeast Asia.

In 2010 Turkey organized an international conference on Afghanistan, the İstanbul Summit on Friendship and Cooperation in the “Heart of Asia.” India was not invited to the summit as Pakistan objected to its participation, prompting New Delhi to express its disappointment to Ankara.

Turkey limits defense sales to India to appease Pakistan
This decision will not change any equation .its just a brotherly gesture to Pakistan . neither turkey produce any thing that India cannot get from USA Israel Russia France nor turkey have any major defence relation with India .

you're going to lick the behind of your current "Ummah" brotherly nation
Why is it that you start insulting when people dont agree with you,is that the way to be respected?
How does your behavier reflect on your people?
Sometimes,its better to be quiet or admit(like i did) when your opponent is ''stronk''.
Just relax,lets drink some tea,it will calm your nerves.

Stop commenting nonsense. This is your buthurt talking.

Turkey cannot even make a midget submarine, short ranged ballistic missile, a surface to air missile heck they cant even a make a diesel engine for their ships. The vast majority of the hardware is fully imported. You're comparing that to a nation with ICBM capability? Even in the non military sector, such space sector, India is atleast half a century ahead of the torks.
Your comments and past-posts reflects off who is really "butthurt" ; your constant attempts to troll Turkish threads and undermine them in every corner shows me who is "butthurt" - I hope your envy isnt in the heart of all Iranians. Possessing ICBM capability does not mean you are ahead of the world - Turkey's activity in this field is restricted due to multiple treaties and the fact it has no need for one.

Turkey's defence products are popular, reliable and advanced and are being used by countries in the EU and NATO countries who possess more advanced technology than India can ever come close to within a century - I'm pretty sure, they'd be using India's crappy Insas rifle which cant even function in the cold or India's Dhruv attack helicopters which were grounded by Ecuador after a dozen crashes within a month, if India was ahead of Turkey in technology.

India's defence industry has been plagued with failures and humiliation, i'm not being biased here; just honesty. Its the reason why they are the largest Defence IMPORTERS, meanwhile Turkey is set to be among the top ten EXPORTERS. Turkey is equivalent to South Korea, Germany or the UK in terms of defense industry; while India can be compared with Iran or Vietnam.

I am still waiting for you to show me this wonderful defence industry of torkey?
A country that cannot even make a submarine talking about the capability of others in this regards :lol:
Show me some turkish submarines.

Are you seriously suggesting the torks are importing? :o:
I thought these people had an advanced indigenous industry that was exporting to India? :rofl:

What are you blabbing about?
You people always resort to the most insane excuses to run away from addressing facts. I am merely saying torks, whom cannot even make a submarine, should not comment on such matter. And this is only one example. It is not trolling to say you people import such an extraordinary amount of hardware.
Indeed Yes and I don't know what they can export us,but they they are good in Optics,Most of our military procurement is from US,Russia and Israel ..... Rest being indigenous.

From 8000 Ton destroyers,Nuclear Subs,,air craft carriers to whole range of Radars Including AESA.

According to @BlueBeret Turkish National Police also possess some Indian-made body armors,Helmets,ceramic plates etc

IJ1k1MU.jpg

6FTHRpU.jpg

Export of Defence Equipment
World-Class Body Armour Made in India. But Our Cops Do Without.

Of course the embarrassing fact is you can neither produce submarine nor frigate and import those from China. You probably can't even produce a fishing boat.

We produce frigs,subs etc... But surely can't produce anything like 1000 tom jamran "destroyers" and 6th gen fighters.. We poor you know.. :(

No fukin oil either.
You can laugh, but when your kind can't even make a pistol on its own, it's hard to take you serious.

Yeah.. We just export a billion dollar worth stuff though... Including your country that bought Trainer/recon planes from Pak in the past..:(

Those "ninjas" are still more fearsome than your soldiers, whom look like starving african children :lol:

Yup.. Mighty Persian cats arrested;

Iranian troops arrested inside Pakistan - Telegraph

Last edited:
Possessing ICBM capability does not mean you are ahead of the world - Turkey's activity in this field is restricted due to multiple treaties and the fact it has no need for one
Possessing ICBMs equates to global strategic striking capability.

India's crappy Insas rifle which cant even function in the cold or
Insas rifles are used by Indian troops at Siachen where temperatures are close to -53 C

India's Dhruv attack helicopters which were grounded by Ecuador after a dozen crashes within a month,
India has only supplied 7 Dhruvs to Ecuador, so how can a dozen crash?

PS: the word dozen quantifies as 12

India's defence industry has been plagued with failures and humiliation, i'm not being biased here; just honesty. Its the reason why they are the largest Defence IMPORTERS, meanwhile Turkey is set to be among the top ten EXPORTERS. Turkey is equivalent to South Korea, Germany or the UK in terms of defense industry; while India can be compared with Iran or Vietnam.

You seriously need to check British defence industry.

Last edited:
What a load of nonsense. You did not in anyway back how torks are more advanced than India or Iran. All you said is that they import from NATO etc. This is what we are saying, that these jokers are living off the charity of NATO. Without whom they would not be able to make even a midget submarine.

You other excuses are laughable desperate. Everything strategic India has which torks dont, you just claim tork are not allowed to make it. Explain to me why these people cannot eve make a diesel engine nor assault rifle. Stop embarrassing yourself kid. torey is just an assembly, import state, and nothing more. Comparing them to nation like India and Iran is beyond foolish because Iran and India are much more advanced and can produce strategic system indigenously.
God damn it :/

here goes my toy soldiers

Z0036482.jpg

Why you did this to me turkey :undecided:

How dare you?:pissed::pissed::pissed:
Never question Irans defence industry,Iran is far far ahead of Turkiye.:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:
Yes, theyre so called "5th Generation" Qaher-103 can shoot down 50 Zionist F-35s, despite having a civilian plane's cockpit. It just shows how honest and reliable they can be.

Even the qaher mockup is still more indigenous than anything your state can produce. The fact that you people try and make mockery out of Iran is frankly too hilarious. Were it not for China, there probably would not even be any Pakistan right now. Indian could have swollen you whole. Be thankful for those Chinese nukes and missiles you have.

Ammm... No, I think qaher is hard to beat on the "indigenous" factor

Kahir313_Kokpit1_zps7a187389.jpg

How about they don't sell India any weapons? Better yet, try to get NATO countries to at least limit weapons being supplied to India.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom