What's new

Turkey limits defense sales to India to appease Pakistan

If you are giving it for free , please provide fuel to run those systems and some amount to maintain them. :p:
Bloody hell we get superior systems from US & Russia , turkey cant hold a candle to them.

Most of the Russian products are essentially junks compared to NATO standards, and US won't be as liberal as Turkey when it comes to arms sale, not even gonna mention their cost. But whatever you say bud.

Both Turkey and S. Korea are good partners to co-operate with in defence, but for India, Turkey is just unfeasible. S. Korea on the other hand is gain a foot hold with recent K9 Thunder deal.

I disagree. India is an immense potential market for Turkey.

Most of the Russian products are essentially junks compared to NATO standards, and US won't be as liberal as Turkey when it comes to arms sale, not even gonna mention their cost. But whatever you say bud.

For general trade yes, for defense, no.

But this is Govt of Turkey needlessly creating animosity where none exists presently.

Govt of India will in all likelihood now carry this over and it will reflect negatively on any/all bilateral or multilateral interactions where Turkey is involved. This is Turkish Govt pointlessly(because it creates no corresponding value to Turkey) creating yet more countries who do not look favourably on Turkey.

What defence products does India import from Turkey?

For general trade yes, for defense, no.

But this is Govt of Turkey needlessly creating animosity where none exists presently.

Govt of India will in all likelihood now carry this over and it will reflect negatively on any/all bilateral or multilateral interactions where Turkey is involved. This is Turkish Govt pointlessly(because it creates no corresponding value to Turkey) creating yet more countries who do not look favourably on Turkey.

I doubt it will have any impact on India's perception of Turkey.

As for defense trade, again, I disagree. Unless India isn't interested in high quality products with relatively low prices I'm sure there will be some kind of arms deal between the two in the upcoming years as Turkey has just started to gain pace in its defence exports.

@TurAr

1. ALTAY= Our present fleet of upgraded T72s and new T90s are enough for now. We are interested in T14 and our own Arjun MBT program is going on very well. This simply means that the market for MBTs is simply closed.

2. MILGEM?
Please have a look at Indian shipbuilding programmes, we are building better ones at home. Why would we import?

3. Cruise Missiles? That's a very difficult one.Our needs are more or less fulfilled by the present production and on going development programs.
And with mini BrahMos in development, no chance again .

4.UAVs / UCAVs => In short term Israel has offered better solutions. And Indian Armed forces are quite satisfied with them. You may yourself search about Israeli UAVs in Indian service.

5.ATAK helicopter?

We have our own LCH and are procuring Apache for heavy role. If at all we are interested in it, then why would we not buy it from its original manufacturer? Like we procured K9 from South Korea?

Any thing else?

I doubt it will have any impact on India's perception of Turkey.
It will definitely have negative impact. see this thread only. you will see India turkey turning enemies eventually. :)
on topic: It would be great to stop all relations with turkey. they are acting like enemies over nothing. if they want to be our enemies let it be. :cheers:

Its clear Turkey will not sell to us because of the relationship they have with pakistan. Since we know that they so not feature in our procurement plan.

Its a loss for both countries I guess. But this is Turkeys choice @TurAr

It will definitely have negative impact. see this thread only. you will see India turkey turning enemies eventually. :)
on topic: It would be great to stop all relations with turkey. they are acting like enemies over nothing. if they want to be our enemies let it be. :cheers:

Enemies? Heck no. Many countries have refused to sell sensitive material to many other countries. India has too, for various reasons. There is nothing as drastic as enmity in Turkeys actions. It is their prerogative. Hostility will come into picture only if they interfere in our matters.

Last edited:

Ok for a change I will agree, Why not sell a nuclear submarine prove turkeys technical prowess ?

@TurAr

1. ALTAY= Our present fleet of upgraded T72s and new T90s are enough for now. We are interested in T14 and our own Arjun MBT program is going on very well. This simply means that the market for MBTs is simply closed.

2. MILGEM?
Please have a look at Indian shipbuilding programmes, we are building better ones at home. Why would we import?

3. Cruise Missiles? That's a very difficult one.Our needs are more or less fulfilled by the present production and on going development programs.
And with mini BrahMos in development, no chance again .

4.UAVs / UCAVs => In short term Israel has offered better solutions. And Indian Armed forces are quite satisfied with them. You may yourself search about Israeli UAVs in Indian service.

5.ATAK helicopter?

We have our own LCH and are procuring Apache for heavy role. If at all we are interested in it, then why would we not buy it from its original manufacturer? Like we procured K9 from South Korea?

Any thing else?

Dude, what I'm saying is Turkey has an ambitious and growing defense industry offering many high quality combat proven platforms for relatively cheap prices compared to their counterparts from other big exporters. There are literally thousands of things Turkish arms industry can offer to India from basic communication equipments to flight simulators, from electronic warfare systems to radars. Since India is the second biggest arms importer after Saudi Arabia it is far from being self-sufficient, is it? So don't get cocky with me.

Dude, what I'm saying is Turkey has an ambitious and growing defense industry offering many high quality combat proven platforms for relatively cheap prices compared to their counterparts from other big exporters. There are literally thousands of things Turkish arms industry can offer to India from basic communication equipments to flight simulators, from electronic warfare systems to radars. Since India is the second biggest arms importer after Saudi Arabia it is far from being self-sufficient, is it? So don't get cocky with me.

The two points

1. We ( Indians ) do not question the capabilities of Turkey . We have simply nothing to do with it. Simple as that. As a nation which has bilateral relations with India, we are happy for your progress. Nothing more, nothing less.

2. The important point we are trying to make is that the above decision is quite pointless.

This does not harm India for a single penny .
You are simply combing a bald head here.

I hope you understand this that at present and in quite forseen near short term India is not going to engage with Turkey in defence . And in this situation a statement like this comes. Its just unwanted .

Brothers don't "appease" each other, they do things for different reason. With all the chaos around there is a strategic relationship between the two brothers to safeguard our interests in the emerging order. It's beyond mere sale/purchase.

This does not harm India for a single penny .
You are simply combing a bald head here.

Because the intention was not to harm India but to show a gesture to Pakistan. If we wanted to harm India we would have supplied Pakistan with those systems with considerable discount so that their economy can handle purchasing them.

I hope you understand this that at present and in quite forseen near short term India is not going to engage with Turkey in defence . And in this situation a statement like this comes. Its just unwanted .

Given the amount of arms import by India and the rapid expansion of the Turkish defense industry, there is a high chance of possible future deals. I don't know why it bothers you so much.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom