What's new

Thousands of Christians Pray for Democracy in China

Banana

BANNED
Reaction score
Over a thousand Christians met in Hong Kong last week to pray for democracy in China before attending a candlelight vigil to commemorate the Tiananmen Square massacre in 1989.

The prayer meeting was organised by the Catholic Justice and Peace Commission at Victoria Park, where the candlelight vigil was held later. The vigil attracted over 180,000 participants
this year.

At the prayer meeting, Franciscan friar Yeung Yim said that although the Beijing crackdown took place more than two decades ago, Chinese people should not forget the tragedy. He said that God was love, and one of the best ways to respond to God’s calling was to attend the vigil and pray for the victims.

The celebrant of the prayer meeting, Fr Simon Li Chi-yuen, encouraged the faithful to struggle for democracy and freedom.

He also reminded Christians that Tiananmen was not a past event as some of those involved continue to experience political oppression today.

Christian groups in Hong Kong used the anniversary to urge Beijing to investigate the death of Li Wangyang.

Li was a veteran democracy activist who was jailed for 21 years for his involvement in the Tiananmen protests. He died in a hospital in Hunan on 6 June in suspicious circumstances.

1,000 Christians pray for democracy in China | Christian News on Christian Today

I don't know about elsewhere, but most Christians in Hong Kong have one big problem, they seem to think whatever they believe are right and are the final truth. They are very stubborn on their views and refuse to accept or even consider other views. They also view other religions are inferior to theirs.

I don't know about elsewhere, but most Christians in Hong Kong have one big problem, they seem to think whatever they believe are right and are the final truth. They are very stubborn on their views and refuse to accept or even consider other views. They also view other religions are inferior to theirs.
I think most beliver of organized religion do that, worldwide.

I think most beliver of organized religion do that, worldwide.

Perhaps you're right, but I find this bunch have superior complexes on other issues other than religion and is not easy to change their views once they are determined what's right and what's wrong. On a whole they're more educated than other religious group though.

Yes, Chrsitianity is really bad for China.
It's a good choice banned christianity in China.

I hope never my country become a christian state.
I prefer the traditions : Buddhist, Taoist, confucianism.

you are free to follow your faith but u r wrong if u say any particular religion is bad.

I would say to them look at India that has "democracy". I think it is the grass is greener on the other side effect.

No big deal. We Catholics just hold candles, pray and go home. One thousand people gathering is nothing in Hong Kong.

Don't get wrong Bro, I believe in religious freedom and I myself believe in Buddhism. The march was peaceful enough. It's just that there are so many anti China demonstrations these days in Hong Kong and is very unlike HK because the people here are usually apolitical and most of us don't want HK to be the hot beds of political movements. I wonder, as many here as well, any outsiders are behind these activities.

you are free to follow your faith but u r wrong if u say any particular religion is bad.

Yes, maybe all is free follow their faith.
But when you know Christian history and when we have already had a huge problem with christian religion " Taiping Rebellion".

more, look on youtube the number of American who preaches the Bible and I even feel that defense of Israel for reasons of religion, since the behavior of Americans leads me to think this.
And look South Korea , Christians attack buddhists/burn temple buddhist ( In true I don't care but it's just an example I don't want see in China).

I don't like say me , my cultural is a servitude.
I hate when a christian say me , "a day china will become the cradle of Christianity "," all Chinese say one day Amen " or with their stupid objective ! Sorry it's so arrogant for me.
it's don't even asked our opinion, is that we will become yes or no.

I hate the Christians took advantage of the weakness and ignorance of a person to convert him.
In China many american christian association go to the countryside to the convertirs.
I hate their hypocritical humanist hide their true desire to convert .

and sometimes it's a numbers war between Muslim and Christians ( american mainly ) in China.
Sorry, but my country is not a playground between two religions which ignores local culture.

But it's true I'm tolerant towards Islam for historical reasons and it involved no problem for the time being. ( but I also do not trust).
But with Christianism I'm not tolerant , because of what I have quoted or problem with Vatican and american.

there are other reason but too long to explain
there's limits to our/my tolerence. ( this is only my experience and my point of view )

I do nothing against Indian religions I specify ( for the time being )

HK had been a British colony for a long time and had a big influence on the locals afterall. Perhaps it's not only the Christians there who are anti China after what happened in Tiananmen Square. If there are so many demonstration in HK these days, i would like to know what are they criticizing China for? Is it mostly about freedom?

What i don't like about Christianity is that they are trying to convert people. Also Christianity/Catholics can also be hypocrites. There are enough cases of priests sexually abusing children, that is so sick (many examples can be found in USA and Europe). Some religion are trying to brainwash their followers because of a certain political view. People should have the freedom to choose whether or not to have a religion as long they don't become extremist.

HK had been a British colony for a long time and had a big influence on the locals afterall. Perhaps it's not only the Christians there who are anti China after what happened in Tiananmen Square. If there are so many demonstration in HK these days, i would like to know what are they criticizing China for? Is it mostly about freedom?

Most involved democracy opinions in China and some local issues like pregnant mothers and infighting between 2 people. We are not anti China at all thought we, as well as the people in the mainland, would like to see some form of political changes in the government.

The thing is because HK has the freedom to demonstrate it would not be farfetched to think foreign elements instigate more such activities in the future for their own agendas. Situations can intensify and get out of hand in what's to be a peaceful enclave.

Most of the time the demonstrations in HK are peaceful so it probably won't get out of hand because it's a well developed city. Looking at the Middle East or countries where people are living in poor conditions who have enough of their government will result in violent demonstrations. I wouldn't be surprised if foreign elements were involved in these countries just to start a revolution.

Back
Top Bottom