What's new

The UAE is the first partner and customer of the fifth generation Checkmate aircraft

lol UAE cannt take own decisions without their master USA approvals.

lol UAE cannt take own decisions without their master USA approvals.
Actually the UAE is a very independent country.. it is part of the GCC and have weight in region and beyond.. It has interests with the US of course.. but that doesn't go as far as you might think..It took the lesson from its financing of its F-16 block 60 development in the US that has become the F-16 block 70-72 that the US is selling left and right with no benefits to the UAE who has financed the developments in the US.. this time it is different.. any sales of the Checkmate will benefit the UAE too..Simple..isn't it?

My sense to the debate here is that the UAE, GCC, and majority MENA countries will be non-aligned in the new cold war. They are better off this way. Much of the debate here is on the past. USA has shifted its strategic priorities away from the gulf, GCC will adapt in response.
Actually the UAE is a very independent country.. it is part of the GCC and have weight in region and beyond.. It has interests with the US of course.. but that doesn't go as far as you might think..It took the lesson from its financing of its F-16 block 60 development in the US that has become the F-16 block 70-72 that the US is selling left and right with no benefits to the UAE who has financed the developments in the US.. this time it is different.. any sales of the Checkmate will benefit the UAE too..Simple..isn't it?
True. GCC countries also paid for the F-15EX development....with no IP for themselves. Only caution is that the Russians aren't the best with tech transfer. UAE is better off working on something jointly in the MENA region.

Last edited:
I would completely baffled if the US allows UAE to operate this system alongside the F-35 and THAAD. But stranger things have happened
I hear you, but UAE isnt a NATO member, like Turkey.

Yes, but CAATSA is different it was never applied severely against Turkey.
Just like US threatened INdia with CAATSA right b4 INdia made a large weapons purchase from Russia....but after it didnt work US asked INdia to be "partners" in securing the INdo-Pacific. smfh. all bs...CAATSA is another business bully deterrence against other countries.

I would completely baffled if the US allows UAE to operate this system alongside the F-35 and THAAD. But stranger things have happened

Exactly,
UAE maybe a partner,
UAE isn't going to be a customer as far as I can see.

lol you cannt take own decisions without your master China approvals
Yes we asked China when we refused to kill innocent Yemenis or butt F the Indian airforce on Feb 27. Or made sure America and nato lost in Afghanistan

UAE might be on the verge of literally doing the thing I was dreaming of: pairing new South African-origin technology (e.g., Tawazun AGMs, SOWs, etc) to a next-gen ITAR-free fighter. If UAE reveals a 7-8-ton ITAR-free attack helicopter next, that will make my day.

I hear you, but UAE isnt a NATO member, like Turkey.
No - but at the same time the dangers of sensitive tech being compromised still exist
UAE might be on the verge of literally doing the thing I was dreaming of: pairing new South African-origin technology (e.g., Tawazun AGMs, SOWs, etc) to a next-gen ITAR-free fighter. If UAE reveals a 7-8-ton ITAR-free attack helicopter next, that will make my day.
They should have gone with a less sensitive partner than the United States in that case for other equipment. Although I am guessing if they do go for this jet it will be to supplant and replace their block-60s?

No - but at the same time the dangers of sensitive tech being compromised still exist

They should have gone with a less sensitive partner than the United States in that case for other equipment. Although I am guessing if they do go for this jet it will be to supplant and replace their block-60s?
It may sound a little stereotypical, but UAE may just be thinking about business. They oriented their defence industry for a strong export focus; basically sell ITAR-free to anyone willing to pay (but at a relatively competitive price point). They want a share of the global market and I suspect they funded the Checkmate for that purpose. They may not produce a single component of the jet or buy a single plane for themselves (except for their DACT firm), but they may get a % in the program and a cut of the profit for every plane built.

It may sound a little stereotypical, but UAE may just be thinking about business. They oriented their defence industry for a strong export focus; basically sell ITAR-free to anyone willing to pay (but at a relatively competitive price point). They want a share of the global market and I suspect they funded the Checkmate for that purpose. They may not produce a single component of the jet or buy a single plane for themselves (except for their DACT firm), but they may get a % in the program and a cut of the profit for every plane built.
Then the major market for this will probably be limited to SEA or Algeria unless India really goes into this(and abandones their MCA again)

Then the major market for this will probably be limited to SEA or Algeria unless India really goes into this(and abandones their MCA again)
Yep. I expect Latin America, Algeria, Egypt, and Southeast Asia (incl. Bangladesh). I don't think India is a target market as India itself wants to be a big supplier. I think UAE would want to sell its weapons and services with the Checkmate, but India will ask for local sourcing, offsets, etc. Moreover, anyone the Russians are selling to would be a market for this as well, so the likes of Central Asia and Belarus could also be game.

I wouldn't entirely discount Pakistan. If the Checkmate isn't inherently expensive, then our biggest blockers are CAATSA and FATF. The UAE could alleviate both in one swoop. One of the issues the PAF had with the Su-35 and MiG-35 was that Russia's tech stack was baked in and there was no feasible way to customize (even TDLs!). If the UAE has a say in the Checkmate, the fighter may be relatively more open or configurable.

I know DGDP is in contact with this conglomerate. They're to make a big splash at IDEAS 2022.

Plus, ironically, India can't be a blocker in this case because UAE has all the leverage (expatriate workers, investment, etc). This is entirely up to what the UAE wants and what Pakistan can give. If our leaders were smart, they'd know they have a little leverage here too (for the UAE, a 'God forbid' scenario is if we smarten up and crack down on laundering).

UAE Major General Pilot Rashid Mohammed Al Shamsi in the Checkmate

2D1A8DBE-A281-44B7-A59B-698C0B15D004.jpeg

38718F82-513C-48C4-8556-0A21A464CD5F.jpeg

Last edited:
An agreement between Russia and the UAE for the joint production of light helicopters

The head of the state body "Rostec" Sergey Chemezov spoke about cooperation between Russia and the UAE in the field of joint production of a light helicopter..

https://arabic.rt.com/business/1253995-اتفاقية-بين-روسيا-والإمارات-لإنتاج-مشتركلمروحيات-خفيفة/

Back
Top Bottom