The Pakistan Navy's Frigate Options

western ships are costly
not option left is chinese

or try to access to Russian ships

4 F22P (Plus) , with Pakistani Navy's enhancements
3 Older ships (UK/USA) , OHP or retiring destroyer
3 Leased Chinese Type 054A, with option to purchase

More then enough for Pakistan navy if it happens

This is exactly how it is going to end up looking like. Pakistan doesn't have the cash to get new state of the art European or US frigates. They are very costly. I don't think we even have the cash for used ones which would also be quite expensive. We don't have any money to get other fighters apart from US sponsored F-16s let alone frigates. The Chinese will be offering on soft loan/lease. The frigates and ships you have summed up are adequate and meet our requirements.

Last edited:
Our Naval architects have been trained abroad and have worked on major modification programs on the Gearing class, Type 21's and finally the F22P.
This should be joint project between Pakistan, China & Turkey or any 2.
The chinese hull designs are pretty good and we will install all the other systems of our choice.
This will take time, sure, but it will be worth it. It's time the Navy starts it's own Thunder like project.

Dear Sir,
Do we have such plans in near future or not pls reply?

@Quwa @Blue Marlin - Its me speculating again.

Type-.jpg

In any case, I do think the S20 SSKs we're getting from China are a big deal. They're evidently not the standard non-AIP type, otherwise they wouldn't cost $4-5bn. The more I think about it, it is becoming apparent that the AIP the PN is getting for the SSKs is imported from Europe. The cost is a clear sign, but also think about the fact that it took 4 years of discussions with China (et. al) before we even got to the financial aspects (which was dealt with in 2015). If you're single-sourcing from China, then it shouldn't necessarily take 4 years to work out technical issues.

@Blue Marlin, your suggestion about the Saab Stirling AIP is valid. Saab has a history of selling the AIP independently of its own submarines, e.g. Japan and Shoryu-class. But given the issue of technology IP, I wonder if the submarines being built will include the AIP, or if the AIP will be retrofitted in Pakistan with the third-party vendor present.

In terms of the frigate, in addition to using CSOC's High Performance Frigate design, the PN ought to consider using an AESA radar and - essentially - 'mini-Aegis' system. Imagine pairing that up with DK-10 and/or HHQ-16 (whichever is available), FL-3000 and one day, extended-range SAMs (Chinese or South African equivalent of Barak-8).

Last edited:
In any case, I do think the S20 SSKs we're getting from China are a big deal. They're evidently not the standard non-AIP type, otherwise they wouldn't cost $4-5bn. The more I think about it, it is becoming apparent that the AIP the PN is getting for the SSKs is imported from Europe. The cost is a clear sign, but also think about the fact that it took 4 years of discussions with China (et. al) before we even got to the financial aspects (which was dealt with in 2015). If you're single-sourcing from China, then it shouldn't necessarily take 4 years to work out technical issues.

@Blue Marlin, your suggestion about the Saab Stirling AIP is valid. Saab has a history of selling the AIP independently of its own submarines, e.g. Japan and Shoryu-class. But given the issue of technology IP, I wonder if the submarines being built will include the AIP, or if the AIP will be retrofitted in Pakistan with the third-party vendor present.

In terms of the frigate, in addition to using CSOC's High Performance Frigate design, the PN ought to consider using an AESA radar and - essentially - 'mini-Aegis' system. Imagine pairing that up with DK-10 and/or HHQ-16 (whichever is available), FL-3000 and one day, extended-range SAMs (Chinese or South African equivalent of Barak-8).
A friend claims Pakistan is in talks with China for two nuclear submarines and nuclear plant for those submarines is developed by Pakistan

That friend has turned out to be right on most occasions
For example.... yaar bhai bas ker dey....
Most of the time you posted Pakistan going to buy this and that but never proved...Pls don't become PDF's Nostradamus.

10 years ho gey abhi tak J-10 nahien aya na hi SU-34..

@Penguin The CSOC 'High Performance Frigate' (outlined in the first post) equipped with a 32-cell VLS for HHQ-16 and CY-5, what would be your per unit cost-estimate? I don't think it would cross $350 million U.S. a unit (i.e. nearly double that of the F-22P). I genuinely believe this (like the S20 SSK in the PN submarine deal) is going to be the platform the PN will adopt for its future frigate requirements. New Western frigates (including Turkish) are going to be very unlikely.
The HPF proposed by CSoc is actualy very similar in dimensions to Type 054/054A (135x15,3 versus 134x16m) and I suspect the 3500tns displacement is standard rather than full load displacement. I.e. IMHO it is a ' light' export version of 054A, with a slightly smaller superstructure (i.e. hangar) but more smooth deck area forward of the bridge. Recall, in Feb 2013, China offered to sell Thailand 3 customized 054A frigates ("054T") for 30 billion Thai baht ($1 billion USD) total. Or, about $333 million per ship.

corvette.jpg

chinese-frigate.jpg

For example.... yaar bhai bas ker dey....
Most of the time you posted Pakistan going to buy this and that but never proved...Pls don't become PDF's Nostradamus.

10 years ho gey abhi tak J-10 nahien aya na hi SU-34..
Something is coming many friends are giving indications of that

Something is coming many friends are giving indications of that
Yes and the friends from Facebook only...Next confirmed near confirm you can say only 10 more F-16 block 52+ thats all.

Bet me no EF and SU34 or 35....

After the delivery of 8 jets Pakistan will get 10 more and it is confirmed....
I am telling you they are coming more chances are of EF because both NATO and USA had money due on us which they don't want to give in form of cash and instead are offering us weapons including EF

Back
Top Bottom