What's new

The Kohinoor diamond was obtained by the British Empire. Some argue it should be returned to India.

It should be returned to Pakistan since Ranjeet Singh ruled Lahore & that was his

I think a war would break out between Pakistan India Bangladesh over Kohi Noor so might aswell let the British keep it.

It opens up a can of worms; how far back will people want to go?

Honestly, war booty is a right of the winning side. England rightfully won that treasure.

Other nations should not have wasted time and money on useless architecture like the Taj Mahal, etc., and made an excellent standing army to fend off foreign attacks. They should have invested in research and development of arms and education. South Asians wasted away on poems and songs and useless dances that brought no value to nation-building.

It's shameful they lost their land to a freaking business that had a privately funded army before the monarchy laid claim. These people aren't even worthy of being free now. Instead, they should all have been killed off.

Muhammad Ali Jinnah mentioned the biggest threat to India is corruption and corruption is done by our own people. They sold themselves to a British company and then the British crown for some money and power. I agree, India Pakistan Bangladesh should unite and say it was the British who made us corrupt, made us fight and we will from now on live in peace and concentrate on development. Instead we all hate each other and fight among ourselves but then request the British to give back our diamonds.

I agree with giving back national treasures looted during the colonial era, however realistically looking at this the brits were the victors so normally the Victor's take the spoils of war which this was. This has happened throughout human history. Look at all that German tech handed over to the allies after WW2, I'd say that was worth more than these crown jewels.

So basically saying it's pointless asking for it now there are more pressing things in sure for people to worry about.

Honestly, if the diamond was to be repatriated it is India’s right.

The diamond was mined in present day India, and in history Mughals probably mined it.

Coming to right of repatriation, I think it was a war booty, and the British have every right to it. If India manages to invade and subdue Britain then they can lay claim to it.

I support Indians on this issue.

Any wealth plundered in the colonial era should be returned and compensated.
It belongs to Pakistan don’t let Indians fool you .

The Koh-e-Noor saga has taken another interesting turn on Monday as Indian-born British politician said the coveted diamond actually belonged to Pakistan.

“If Koh-e-noor belongs to anybody, it belongs to Pakistan,” Lord Meghnad Desai said while speaking to India Today.

Referring to the 19th-century Sikh king Ranjit Singh, who had given the stone to the British, Lord Desai reasoned that since Singh’s seat was in Lahore, the diamond should go to Pakistan.

“Because his territory was mainly in, what is now Pakistan - in Lahore there is a Ranjit Singh museum - it will go back to wherever the Punjab kingdom had its seat and his seat was in Lahore. So I think if it belongs to anybody, it belongs to Pakistan,” he said.

After the death of Queen Elizabeth II last week, online users are calling for the British government to surrender artifacts obtained by the British Empire, including the Kohinoor diamond — one of the most famous diamonds in the world.

Conversations about the diamond — also spelled Koh-i-noor — which is part of the British crown jewels, have been trending on social media amid coverage of the queen’s death, with users posting their opinions about the empire — and memes about stealing the diamond back.

The online jokes aside, many point to the serious colonial history behind Britain’s possession of the diamond.

The Kohinoor, which means “Mountain of Light,” was originally about 186 carats, and while its exact origins are unknown, it was most likely discovered in South India in the 13th century.

Danielle Kinsey, an assistant professor of history with a focus on the history of 19th century Britain and empire at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario, said its impressive size often shrouds its less appealing history.

"More importantly, it has a history of being part of war booty or trophies taken as the result of war in South Asia. So in a lot of ways, it is a symbol of plunder and represents the long history of plunder imperialism,” she said.

Kinsey said one of the ways the British government and scholars rationalized British imperialism in India and other places around the world was to say that their brand of imperialism wasn’t about plunder but about uplifting and civilizing colonized populations.

“The actual histories of British imperialism tell a much different story, one of horrific violence, dispossession, prejudice and significant economic exploitation,” she said. “I think people are outraged by how the Kohinoor continues to function as a trophy of empire as long as it remains in the crown’s possession.”

The diamond found its way through the hands of several dynasties, beginning with the Mughals in the 16th century, then the Persians and then the Afghans, before the Sikh Maharaja Ranjit Singh obtained it in 1813.

Maharaja Duleep Singh, the son and successor of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, held on to the diamond until the British annexed Punjab in 1849. Duleep, only 11 years old, signed the Treaty of Lahore, which also stipulated that Duleep would give the diamond to the queen of England.

Lord Dalhousie, a Scottish statesman and governor-general of India, coerced Singh into “gifting” the diamond to Queen Victoria, Dalhousie wrote in a letter in August 1849 to his friend Sir George Couper.

“He had visions of it becoming the centerpiece of the British imperial crown and had visions of himself becoming famous for facilitating the crown’s appropriation of the stone,” she said.

The diamond was sent to England, and after an inspection, it was unveiled to the public at the Great Exhibition of 1851, where many were unimpressed with it, she said.

Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-...ohinoor-diamond-s-know-turbulent-hi-rcna47284

I often think when United Kingdom - Territory Britain & England has their own Diamond , Carved by Britishers or English or Scottish or Celtic ??? How many Carats and in which Year ???

Lahore is Pakistan now. Did you read my post and you see that? @Bua . Read it again

Sarkar e Punjab Khalsa is Union of India - Establishment Authority Central Power.

1560146351_20181013205550_img_4845.jpg

It should be returned to Pakistan since Ranjeet Singh ruled Lahore & that was his

Indian Armed Forces - Northern Command Headquarters - Lieutenant General Commander Upendra Dwivedi Sahab can bring many things including Kohinoor Diamond !!!

IMO let the diamond be there where it is currently, in British museum.I think it is highly overesimated piece if stone, not even 99% Indo-Pak ppl could easily recognize it by its look if displayed together with 10 diferent similar family of stones..i had a big disappointment when i saw it, forget it.

Indian Armed Forces - Northern Command Headquarters - Lieutenant General Commander Upendra Dwivedi Sahab can bring many things including Kohinoor Diamond !!!
@Hindustani78

Does the Indian Northern Command know that Pakistan Armed Forces captured Azad Kashmir and Gilgit Baltistan? 😎

@Hindustani78

Does the Indian Northern Command know that Pakistan Armed Forces captured Azad Kashmir and Gilgit Baltistan? 😎

Commander in Chief General Sir Lord Frank Walter led Forces did Occupied Region North West Agency - Sarkar e Hindustan - Punjab Khalsa Pind and the war is about this only .

Safavid Byzan Yazd Forces and Kingdom of Manchuria Forces are even part of Great Game War !!!

Back
Top Bottom