What's new

The Great Asian Showdown: India’s Kolkata Class v/s China’s Type-52D Destroyer

When India managed to develop a domestic MK41 style universal VLS system or managed to import it from US. Then we come back to compare with Type052D,ok?

INS Kollkata is not in the league with Type052D without a universal VLS system.

Missile in video is very slow compared to Brahmos.
A super-sonic missile is not as slow as ur thought, the official showed a slow video to launch China YJ-18 super-sonic anti-ship missile from VLS cell & attack target.

Nice Comparison, but i differ a bit on Weapon comparison. Firstly both Barak-8 and Brahmos is more advanced than what is present on 052D. Thus, mere comparison of number of VLS cell is a little out of place considering when probability of Barak-8 defending Ashm coming from adversary will be higher than that of HQ 9 and when the target to intercept is Brahmos, probability will fall further (though I don't doubt HQ 9 capability just that I give Barak 8 a little higher point), though I agree that against fighter HQ 9 provides bigger range of engagement but it should be noted that engaging a fighter at even 100km range is a tough call, let alone 200km and fighters can engage ships from far greater range.

Secondly, 8 Brahmos can be lauched in a minute time but that is not the case with YJ-12.

Thirdly, when Shivalik class frigate has 64 fixed VLS cell( 32 Barak1, 24 Shtil & 8 Brahmos) , there is no reason to disagree that Kolkata Class has less than 80 VLS cell. Shivalik class displaces 6200 ton at full load and Kolkata Class looks much bigger than that, thus must be having enough space

As I see it, Kolkata is just an starter ship, it doesn't have the full complement of VLS cells and missiles. India is waiting for Nirbhay Land Attack Cruise missile and Barak 8 ER, once those are available, they will be fitted into Kolkata and then we'll have the full Kolkata and at that point it will be clear that is vastly superior to type 52D.

What shoots from those VLS cells is far more important that how many VLS cells a ship has or how sophisticated the VLS system is.

There is no comparison of indian and chinese navy .Simple fact.

The chinese navy is at its best when operating near the chinese coastline. If it has to venture far out into the Indian ocean everything changes and India's air force is enough to take care of any chinese fleet.

In the duel between the anti ship missile and the ship air defense systems, the anti ship missiles win hands down. Its very easy to saturate the air defense shield of any ship or fleet, including AEGIS Burke ships.

I think the pertinent point is that China will build 3-4 times as many ships as India.

The chinese navy is at its best when operating near the chinese coastline. If it has to venture far out into the Indian ocean everything changes and India's air force is enough to take care of any chinese fleet.

In the duel between the anti ship missile and the ship air defense systems, the anti ship missiles win hands down. Its very easy to saturate the air defense shield of any ship or fleet, including AEGIS Burke ships.
Well let me guess either you are some indian living abroad or you have some serious hate for china .You can ignorant as well. Because what you said does not make any sense.And what about the mighty chinese airforce which is far more Superior,high tech advanced and well financed ?Even if the indians got one ship it doesnt make any difference in the overall war scenario.

Well let me guess either you are some indian living abroad or you have some serious hate for china .You can ignorant as well. Because what you said does not make any sense.And what about the mighty chinese airforce which is far more Superior,high tech advanced and well financed ?Even if the indians got one ship it doesnt make any difference in the overall war scenario.

Bad guess, I'm Spanish, I guess you are not smart enough to read the flags.

Obviously your brain is not developed enough to figure out that I was talking about naval warfare in the Indian Ocean as I clearly wrote. Care to tell me how is the chinese air force going to make it to the Indian Ocean? Flying carpets maybe? Its a bit of a distance you know? while India is just right there.

Last edited:
China would be quite difficult to enter IOR in time of war, no point talking about peacetime cuz everyone is happy.

To enter IOR from China, they either have to transit thru Malacca straits which mean going around vietnam, thailand and Philippine s, then have to pass thru a choke point out of indian territories in Andaman.

Another route is keep doing south and round thru indonesia and Western Australia and enter IOR that way, then you wont get choke in andaman but you go a lot further....

1. Indian Navy doesn't get Israel Barak-8 missile yet (if im wrong, pic pls !) ... but Chinese has HQ-9B on 052D-class.

2. Indian has BrahMos VLS on Kolkata-class, Chinese has YJ-18 super-sonic missile VLS on 052D-class.

YJ-18 VLS launch.gif
View attachment 200653

3. Right now PLAN has 6x 052C-class, 2x 052D-class, and new 3x 052D launched in the shipyard & sea trial.

Chinese r building more 052D-class DDGs, number to 20+ in different shipyards.
View attachment 200645

When 2nd Indian Kolkata-class out ... u will find out Chinese 1st 055-class DDG launch in 2015~2016 ... then let's continue to compare Kolkata-class vs China 055-class (10,000+ ton, 100+ VLS cells) ... :pop:
View attachment 200652

As I see it, Kolkata is just an starter ship, it doesn't have the full complement of VLS cells and missiles. India is waiting for Nirbhay Land Attack Cruise missile and Barak 8 ER, once those are available, they will be fitted into Kolkata and then we'll have the full Kolkata and at that point it will be clear that is vastly superior to type 52D.

What shoots from those VLS cells is far more important that how many VLS cells a ship has or how sophisticated the VLS system is.

I just read the news that Barak-8 is ready for Kolkata, Kochi, Chennai
@cnleio

When India managed to develop a domestic MK41 style universal VLS system or managed to import it from US. Then we come back to compare with Type052D,ok?

INS Kollkata is not in the league with Type052D without a universal VLS system.

You put the US specs as top standard ?

Last edited:
I just read the news that Barak-8 is ready for Kolkata, Kochi, Chennai
@cnleio
When Indian Navy really install Barak-8 on the ship. Pls inform me and post pic, ths !
In my opinion, many years later ...

Bad guess, I'm Spanish, I guess you are not smart enough to read the flags.

Obviously your brain is not developed enough to figure out that I was talking about naval warfare in the Indian Ocean as I clearly wrote. Care to tell me how is the chinese air force going to make it to the Indian Ocean? Flying carpets maybe? Its a bit of a distance you know? while India is just right there.
The quality of your posts are enough to prove how much your brain is developed.The chinese airforce can easily reach the indian ocean .They have long range fighter jets and bombers.You are assuming everything from the indian side like their air force will attack but the chinese air force will just sit and watch.It,s like thinking one way but not the other .And by the way a internet troll can easily fake it,s flags that,s not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom