What's new

Tata Reveals 155mm Howitzer Gun

This is a joint effort project with Denel, which is banned!

Great news !

Okie guys did some asking around and it seems like this gun was made in India( yes you read that right) the molds and other forging equipment was brought over from SA and was forged here at home under the guidance of DENEL engineers as well as the local SED TATA team. the barrel and much of the other metal bits can be made in bulk here now, what is still being imported is the fire control mechanism . though much of that has already been indigenised by TATA SED.
more as and when i can ferret stuff out.

Courtesy bengalraider . :)

This gun is from denel not tata. See the Denel website. Only the manufacturer is tata. I dont think they have developed it independently.

I was attacked for saying the samething

Well yes the gun is from Denel no doubt about that. But not sure if tata has manufactured if completely in India or imported for testing.
If tata wins the contract then definitely this will be manufactured in India.

This gun is from denel not tata. See the Denel website. Only the manufacturer is tata. I dont think they have developed it independently.

Please read post 20.

The gun is ofcourse from Denel. But since they have been blacklisted from Indian defence procurement, they have found a loophole by transferring the ToT to Tata (ofcourse at a price) and presenting this as a Gun made by Tata. The forgings and moldings (very important) process were all done in India by TATA SED engineers under guidance from Denel engineers. Only the FCS is imported as such from SA and even that is in the process of indigenisation.

Another good news is L&T, Mahindra, Ashok Leyland are all in the same process with various international players.

Please read post 20.

The gun is ofcourse from Denel. But since they have been blacklisted from Indian defence procurement, they have found a loophole by transferring the ToT to Tata (ofcourse at a price) and presenting this as a Gun made by Tata. The forgings and moldings (very important) process were all done in India by TATA SED engineers under guidance from Denel engineers. Only the FCS is imported as such from SA and even that is in the process of indigenisation.

Another good news is L&T, Mahindra, Ashok Leyland are all in the same process with various international players.

Its like 10 months ago we didn't know where to look for an artillery gun. Now we have 10 different systems in India. DRDO is coming out it with its artillry gun in 2013. OFB's gun has been tested and army has ordered over 100. Tata, L&T, mahindra, Bharat forginigs all lining up their systems. Hopefully in next defence expo we will see them.

Its like 10 months ago we didn't know where to look for an artillery gun. Now we have 10 different systems in India. DRDO is coming out it with its artillry gun in 2013. OFB's gun has been tested and army has ordered over 100. Tata, L&T, mahindra, Bharat forginigs all lining up their systems. Hopefully in next defence expo we will see them.

Actually not all of them are lining up guns in the same category afaik. There are a number of concurrent acquisition process for various types of guns going on.

qFeOn.jpg

I believe this TATA product is for the mounted gun system while the DRDO ones and the ones OFB tested were towed versions.

I believe this TATA product is for the mounted gun system while the DRDO ones and the ones OFB tested were towed versions.

Thats right:tup:

This Tata truck also plays the platform for Prahaar SSM, SpyDer SR-SAM & BM-21 MBRL as well.

Actually if this project is sucessful, perhaps it would see a revival of the BHIM tracked SPG which had the same gun from DENEL.

I for one do not know why the BHIM SPG project was shelved.

Actually if this project is sucessful, perhaps it would see a revival of the BHIM tracked SPG which had the same gun from DENEL.

I for one do not know why the BHIM SPG project was shelved.

Bhim was stopped because Denel was black listed and to be honest, using an heavy weight MBT chassis as the plattform is not a good choice as well, since it offers many limitations in terms of mobility and transportability.
By the way, to you have a source for the gun mounted system RFI? Because I don't think that's correct. There is a requirement for smaller, mobile gun (not howitzer) systems, but most of the bidders that you listed are self-propelled howitzers, that are part of the SPH competitions.

Back
Top Bottom