What's new

Exclusive: Tata to unveil India's first indigenous 155 mm howitzer

Certainly a very smart move by Denal and TATA to get around the Black-lisiting. I do hope this sets a precedent for others that have been blacklisted ie to JV with Indian compaines and provide full ToT so that that the products can be built in India by Indians. The entire blacklisting idea is flawed and it only seeks to set back Indian military modernisation efforts but if these groups tie up with Indian compaines they are going to lose a certain profit margin which is probobly punishment enough for these compaines found guilty of wrong-doing.

IA's arty acqustion plan is going all out, this time all the guns required should be purchased. It's looking good right now anyway.

]A minor detail, but I'd really prefer if the IA/TATA used a simple matt green paint job on their trucks. There's no need for this 3/4 tone pattern.

Like this:

8x8%2BLPTA%2B3138%2BWEW%2BPurification%2BSystem.jpg

Tata-Motors-Defense-600x450.jpg

Certainly a very smart move by Denal and TATA to get around the Black-lisiting. I do hope this sets a precedent for others that have been blacklisted ie to JV with Indian compaines and provide full ToT so that that the products can be built in India by Indians. The entire blacklisting idea is flawed and it only seeks to set back Indian military modernisation efforts but if these groups tie up with Indian compaines they are going to lose a certain profit margin which is probobly punishment enough for these compaines found guilty of wrong-doing.

IA's arty acqustion plan is going all out, this time all the guns required should be purchased. It's looking good right now anyway.

I guess its IA's way of getting full ToT, though after seeing this I am a little disappointed with the state run OFB, they had the full design and everything yet they didn't do jack for all these years. And TATA with only 2 years came up with this with the ToT.

6 round in 3 minute.. I think this is slow fire rate..

but what is good thing. they build with in 2 year. They can do a lot of improvement.. And i personally like TATA. At least they are not like reliance .

Yes. But its not surprising since its JV.

Hope TATA, in coming years, builds gun in partnership with OFB; OFB is trying to build indeginous 155 MM howitzer.

It would be better TATA joins them in designing gun.(I know chances of happening so are near zero)

AS for rate of fire, it can be increased in upgraded models.

Hope IA orders this gun in large numbers.

I have a feeling that Tata Trucks are bigger in size compared to their equivalent Tatra counterparts

Even if they have tied up with Denel, I think it is a good first attempt and a smart way to acquire tech for further weapons building. Even the Americans and Russians could progress heavily in weapons only after they captured Nazi scientists who were the real source of Hitler's military 20-years ahead of the Allies.

I guess its IA's way of getting full ToT, though after seeing this I am a little disappointed with the state run OFB, they had the full design and everything yet they didn't do jack for all these years. And TATA with only 2 years came up with this with the ToT.

Buddy, all that TATA did here, was fitting the howitzer of Denel on one of their vehicles. They have no involvement in the development of the gun and the fact that OFB needed so long to use the available ToT of the Bofors guns, tells us really where we stand in certain fields. That's why government now is insisting on JVs with foreign partners, but this is not an indigenous development like the author claimed, it is a JV with an Indian company.

Are you talking about American or Chinese or Somali workmanship?
And what's blowin' you up about this matter? Workmanship? If you have nothing to do, then go troll else where.

Indian workmanship is known to be poor. The Tata cheap quality will just burn you up. Tata Nano buyer's first car becomes flaming nightmare

Go ahead. Buy from Tata. It's always entertaining to watch another video of Tata junk blowing up and burning down.

Buddy, all that TATA did here, was fitting the howitzer of Denel on one of their vehicles. They have no involvement in the development of the gun and the fact that OFB needed so long to use the available ToT of the Bofors guns, tells us really where we stand in certain fields. That's why government now is insisting on JVs with foreign partners, but this is not an indigenous development like the author claimed, it is a JV with an Indian company.

Sancho ji some good news for you...

Okie guys did some asking around and it seems like this gun was made in India( yes you read that right) the molds and other forging equipment was brought over from SA and was forged here at home under the guidance of DENEL engineers as well as the local SED TATA team. the barrel and much of the other metal bits can be made in bulk here now, what is still being imported is the fire control mechanism . though much of that has already been indigenised by TATA SED.
more as and when i can ferret stuff out.

Courtesy bengalraider

I agree we had no role in development of the gun..but when we are getting ToT and the equipments to manufacture that inhouse, then I think that itself is a good development. Perhaps the 'ban' on Denel had served its purpose. ;)

Maybe because that say nothing about the performance of the gun? Come on guys, wake up! This is about national security and not a popularity contest. The best SPH, suitable to our requirements (of IA and Indian industry) must win, not the one that looks best, or has the most popular Indian partner company.

buddy..nowhere I mentioned we must go for an inferior gun. My post was only to stress that a company like Tata is more reliable and I would personally prefer it....but ofcourse, only if it performs.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom