What's new

Stealth frigate INS Sahyadri enters Da Nang port in Vietnam

32 VLS HQ-16 missile(50km-76km). The VLS system can handle mutiple load of missile depend on requirement.

Type054A firing HQ-16 SAM
View attachment 261954

or
loaded with ASROC

Picture comfirmed by janes defence

View attachment 261955

Noticed the tip of the missile is flat. Meaning most likely a ASROC. Anti-submarine rocket that will triumphed traditional ship launched short range torpedo for anti submarine.

I expect PLAN to configure Type054A to be 24 HQ-16 and 8 ASROC for a typical mission.

IN VLS system is foreign imported and the system is inflexible. It cannot handle different type of weapon payload. Barak VLS can only fire air defence missile and no others. While the one on CHinese frigate can handle many different type of missile. Making it very flexible and lethal. Just like MK 41 VLS.

Why do you think there is no need? Do IN warship sailed out alone for a mission?
Pretty comparable loads for Shivalik and Type 054A. That 50% extra tonnage seems like a waste of iron. But 50-76km doesn't count as fleet defence either in today's world.
Israeli missiles are really small (Barak is 98 kg {I can bench more than that}], so a separate VLS might make some sense. BrahMos/Klub do get a Russian UVLM, so that's not half bad but yeah a Mk. 41 VLS is preferable.

The IN frigates and destroyers are okay for the sub-continent but both needs a one level higher punch if they gotta venture beyond the Indian ocean realms like persian gulf /SCS or Australian waters..

if the FFG gets to carry around 32 Barak2 in place of 24 shtils and alongwith the 32 VLS barak1s, the platforms can hover around independently without any navy in South Asia thinking of challenging it for a good 10 years into the future.

tau-ins-sahyadri-tham-da-nang-nam-trong-chinh-sach-hanh-dong-phia-dong.jpg

can-canh-chien-ham-tang-hinh-an-do-tham-da-nang.jpg

anh1-1443772752630.jpg

20151002164421-1.jpg

can-canh-chien-ham-tang-hinh-an-do-tham-da-nang-hinh-3.jpg

Last edited:
By claiming another as copy and then then make unknown claimed of the IN shtil with advanced version is not a washed down of others then is what?

HQ-16 is not direct copy of shtil. We have stop importing any Russian missile long ago. All Chinese missile is domestically produced. Not becos it's cheaper to make domestically but simply the imported one cannot meet our requirement and sophistication.

If our HQ-16 is just simply a 1:1 copy of russian shtil, how can it be fitted into the new multi load Chinese VLS onboard type054A frigate? Has Russian demonstrated a multi payload VLS? No.
Well not a direct copy(as you say 1:1) but even you will agree that its copied anyway. Also as a whole Shivalik incorporate 32 Barak-1s too addition to Shtil-1....Both combined pack a better defence. Not to forget 8 Brahmos, Considering all these I won't say its underpowered.

a terribly under powered frigate so to say w.r.t. tonnage !
32 knot capable, twin Pielstick power plant + 2 GELM2500 in CODOG giving it 32 knots i s pretty repectable.
Shivalik Class Frigates are known to have huge punch with a 2 units of 4x4 Cell VLS Barak1 (32)+ 6x4 Shtil 32 cell VLS for AD
In addition these guys have the 8 cell Brahmos UVLM capable of supporting - Both KLUB N and Brahmos and most likely will be able to support the Ship launched variant of the Niribhay CM.
Two 533 mm Torp tubes support both SS-N-15 'Starfish' or possibly SS-N-16 'Stallion just like the Delhi class destroyers.

The IN frigates and destroyers are okay for the sub-continent but both needs a one level higher punch if they gotta venture beyond the Indian ocean realms like persian gulf /SCS or Australian waters..

if the FFG gets to carry around 32 Barak2 in place of 24 shtils and alongwith the 32 VLS barak1s, the platforms can hover around independently without any navy in South Asia thinking of challenging it for a good 10 years into the future.
Barak-2 wasn't ready when this warship entered in service. Expect them during MLU upgrades as @Abingdonboy said.

Well not a direct copy(as you say 1:1) but even you will agree that its copied anyway. Also as a whole Shivalik incorporate 32 Barak-1s too addition to Shtil-1....Both combined pack a better defence. Not to forget 8 Brahmos, Considering all these I won't say its underpowered.
True, the 8 SSM indeed score a big point for these frigate over the the type054A in terms of anti- ship mission. But I will not go further explained.

I am sure, no navy in South Asia can challenge her at this moment too. I guess you mean Asia.

No the FFG will still be challenged in south Asia currently as well. If the SAM department is handled, no enemy can even dare to pull off a fast one by trying to "sneak in & fire" in a manner of speaking..

32 knot capable, twin Pielstick power plant + 2 GELM2500 in CODOG giving it 32 knots i s pretty repectable.
Shivalik Class Frigates are known to have huge punch with a 2 units of 4x4 Cell VLS Barak1 (32)+ 6x4 Shtil 32 cell VLS for AD
In addition these guys have the 8 cell Brahmos UVLM capable of supporting - Both KLUB N and Brahmos and most likely will be able to support the Ship launched variant of the Niribhay CM.
Two 533 mm Torp tubes support both SS-N-15 'Starfish' or possibly SS-N-16 'Stallion just like the Delhi class destroyers.

I am not an analyst in naval design but i see lots of empty space there. And Shtil-1s are they VLS launched or Angled/oriented launch ?

Insecurity at it best .

Type 054A frigate vs INS Sahyadri REALITY

hq-16-a-vertical-launch-system-vls-type054a-png.261954

20131010021856.jpg

Displacement: 4,053 tonnes vs 6,200 tonnes

Length: 134.1 m (440 ft)(CCTV report)
Beam: 16 m (52 ft) vs

Length:142.5 m (468 ft)[2]
Beam: 16.9 m (55 ft)
Draught:4.5 m (15 ft)

Propulsion:

CODAD, 4 x Shaanxi 16 PA6 STC diesels, 5700 kW (7600+ hp @ 1084 rpm) each
Speed: 27 kn estimated

vs

Installed power: 2 × Pielstick 16 PA6 STC Diesel engines
15,200 shp (11,300 kW)
2 × GE LM2500+
33,600 shp (25,100 kW)
Propulsion: boost turbines in CODOG configuration.
Speed: 32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph
22 knots (41 km/h; 25 mph) (diesel engines)

Range: 8025 nautical miles estimated vs
Range: In excess of 5,000 nautical miles (9,000 km) at 18 kn (33 km/h)

Armament:

1 x 32-cell VLS HQ-16 SAM / anti submarine rocket launcher[inshort its too less when compare with our frigate]

2 x 4 C-803 anti-ship / land attack cruise missiles[just 8 cruise missiles]Tat too Operational
range
180 km and Speed Subsonic, Mach 0.8-0.9. Aganst our 8 bramose with 300 km range at super sonic. your type 54 wont survive againt our shiwalik class]

vs

32-cell VLS launched Barak 1 missiles
24× Shtil-1 medium range missiles

8 × VLS launched BrahMos, anti-ship and land-attack cruise missiles

Anti-submarine warfare:
2 × 2 DTA-53-956 torpedo launchers

2 × RBU-6000 (RPK-8.The RPK-8 system is an upgrade of the RBU-6000 system, firing the 90R rocket, which is actively guided in the water. This allows it to home in on targets at depths of up to 1,000 meters. The warhead is a 19.5 kg shaped charge, which enables it to punch through the hulls of submarines. It can also be used against divers and torpedoes. System response time is reported to be 15 seconds and a single-salvo has a kill probability of 0.8. fires RGB-60 unguided depth charges. The rockets are normally fired in salvos of 1, 2, 4, 8 or 12 rounds. Reloading is automatic, with individual rounds being fed into the launcher by the 60UP loading system from a below deck magazine. Typical magazine capacity is either 72 or 96 rounds per launcher. It can also be used as a shore bombardment system.) rocket launchers.

so dont bluff if you dont know about RPK-8...

s0 basically shiwalik class frigates is far more superior to type 54.With More speed , More 2000 tone stronger ,Range is less than yours but 9000km is more than enough for us for frigate operation.With more SAM missile .Which is for your surprise has Operationalrange 0.5-12 km Flight altitude 5.5 km at Speed Mach 2.1 (720 m/s) against yor Mach 0.8-0.9 main Armament .That too you have to 180 km to get a lock . which is 120 km short of our main Armament. one dont have to be genius to conclude our frigates are far more superior to ours .I dint even taken shitl MRSAM and massive Sensors and
processing systems: 1 × MR-760 Fregat M2EM 3-D radar
4 × MR-90 Orekh radar
1 × Elta EL/M-2238 STAR
2 × Elta EL/M-2221 STGR
1 × BEL APARNA
HUMSA (hull-mounted sonar array)
ATAS/Thales Sintra towed array systems AND TWO HELICOPTERS OUR STEALTH FRIGATES CAN CARRY.

That too at what cost? 350 million usd against 500 million usd for type54 A [Thailand is to negotiate a Chinese proposal of 3 Type 054A class frigates for the Royal Thai Navy, which has budgeted 30 billion Thai Baht or roughly $1 billion for 2 frigates.

so don't blabber just to feel safe .

Just one thing buddy. the MRSAMs aren't vertically launched. Are they ?

I am not an analyst in naval design but i see lots of empty space there. And Shtil-1s are they VLS launched or Angled/oriented launch ?
I know exactly what you are referring to, the draft is not large enough to do so on these ships. One thing we need to realize is Indian defence establishment has not done a very good job at an indigenous Naval Sam, so right now...
My theory behind the empty space is to keep the modularity option open to refit the ships with available VLS when needed, like the KH35 VLS on Delhi class destroyers being replaced with Brahmos UVLM. There is enough space on the ship to add another dedicated 8 cell Nirbhay UVLM to added to shivalik class imo.
There is a Next gen Missile boat in the pipeline, youmight see some of that materialize in that. IN is also keeping a close eye on Astra VLM option being designed as it small short range SAM capability freeing up some space from the Barak1.
Replaced module go onto older ships and next smaller ships.

I am not sure if people have followed the development of BM's being launched from OPV's in IN, being a testing platform, there is good backing to the theory that K15 Sagarika (Naval cousin of Shaurya) might see ship borne application soon.

relax dude, @Providence has a keen eye, he is not trying to demean IN Platforms. His inputs are very welcome to keep this discussion alive and invigorated.

Since you got your eagle landed on moon you cant desort facts . Our The The contract was signed with the two shipyards in February 2015. Construction is expected to commence in early 2017 after a preparatory period of 24 months and the first ship is expected to be commissioned by 2023. is a follow-on of the Project 17 The construction of the first ship is expected to start by early 2017 and is expected to be launched by 2020.,The contract was signed with the two shipyards in February 2015. Construction is expected to commence in early 2017 after a preparatory period of 24 months and the first ship is expected to be commissioned by 2023.

Moreover Our current project 17 frigate is superior to our enemy's frigates in many aspects

Project_17A_class_CGI.png

Since you got your eagle landed on moon you cant desort facts . Our The The contract was signed with the two shipyards in February 2015. Construction is expected to commence in early 2017 after a preparatory period of 24 months and the first ship is expected to be commissioned by 2023. is a follow-on of the Project 17 The construction of the first ship is expected to start by early 2017 and is expected to be launched by 2020.,The contract was signed with the two shipyards in February 2015. Construction is expected to commence in early 2017 after a preparatory period of 24 months and the first ship is expected to be commissioned by 2023.

Moreover Our current project 17 frigate is superior to our enemy's frigates in many aspects

Project_17A_class_CGI.png

You sure you typed what you wanted ? I don't see any point in you quoting me !

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom