What's new

Smart phones | Selection advice, New releases, Concepts

i have been user of both android and ios and it is strange to see people treat IOS superior despite the fact nothing much is changed in IOS in years...IOS was the best software until early 2011... IOS recently tried to copy android by introducing notification bar that really does nothing...

in android i have meta trader 4 like software for forex with tons of features.. in iphone you have that crap software as an alternative although i admit there is another software that somewhat competes with android version but still not up to that standard... in android i have flash support.. live widgets.. keyboard as good as IOS... and browsing a lot more faster and easy to use... most of the android mobile companies have external memory card slot, bluetooth to connect every device unlike iphone version, copy paste songs or download from mobile unlike iphone, new games are almost similar to iphone version... try asphalt 6 in your android device... watch live cricket matches in your mobile from streaming website or live tv channels... anything that works in your computer works in android devices

what iphone offers is easy to use software but with access denied in everything.... awesome gaming result but no flash supprt, no live straming from internet unless they have a dedicated software in app store, useless bluetooth, small screen with no laptop kind of experience unlike android devices that u can use as laptop alternative if your need is to do basic stuff

feel the difference between free open market and limited paid app store... in the end it all depends upon your personal choice whether you want to stick with easy to use IOS with limited features or slightly difficult to use android with more features

Flash for mobile is dead, browsing at gingerbread is real pain in a@@.

i think android in old devices wasnt up to the mark... but if you use galaxy s2 for a month you will forget iphone 4...

i bought galaxy s2 on contract in may 2011... gifted to my brother in law after 1 month to switch back to old love of iphone but i realized i was missing galaxy s2 so much that i bought again after couple of months of torture on iphone 4... bought 4s in october for SIRI but didnt like it as my galaxy s2 had better voice command system... i think devices like galaxy s2 or galaxy note or htc one x are very different to old versions of android... so try these devices for a change if you like

screen resolutions in iphone 4 and 4s is the best one but then IOS does not not have every feature of Android unlike Android that offers every feature of IOS...

i still like iphone very much but if iphone can be 80% of my laptop replacement... android is 98%

ok ok i am out of this thread as i am making off topic posts

hope iphone 5 comes with larger screen but at the same time proper notification center and complete overhaul of ios... there are so many features IOS can add in future... and make it better software

Since many of the Android fans here keep bringing up the Samsung Galaxy S II, I thought I should be the first one to introduce you to the Samsung Galaxy S III. Yeah I know that it's an off topic post, but never mind, I am going to try & respond to some members's posts later on & add some more information about the iPhone 5 when I get the time.

**********​

The beast released: Samsung Galaxy S III is official

Samsung has just unveiled its new flagship smartphone - the Android-running Galaxy S III. The ICS-running device has some big shoes to fill, but judging by that specs sheet, it might just be up to it.

Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III at a glance:

General: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, UMTS 850/900/1900/2100 MHz, HSDPA 21 Mbps, HSUPA 5.76 Mbps; 4G (regional)
Form factor: Touchscreen bar phone
Dimensions: 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm, 133 g
Display: 4.8" 16M-color HD (720 x 1280 pixels) Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, Gorilla Glass
CPU: Quad-core 32nm ARM Cortex A9 1.4 GHz processor, Exynos 4212 Quad chipset
GPU: Mali-400MP
RAM: 1GB
Memory: 16/32/64GB storage, microSD card slot
Camera: 8 megapixel auto-focus camera with face detection, touch focus and image
stabilization; Full HD (1080p) video recording at 30fps, LED flash, 1.9MP front facing camera, video-calls
Connectivity: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0+HS, standard microUSB port,
GPS receiver with A-GPS, 3.5mm audio jack, FM radio, TV-out, USB-on-the-go, NFC
Battery: 2100 mAh
Misc: TouchWiz 4.0 UI, DivX/XviD codec support, built-in accelerometer, multi-touch input, proximity sensor, gyroscope sensor, Swype text input, RGB light

The international version of the Samsung Galaxy S III (packing just HSPA+ connectivity) will be released on May 29 and Europe will be the first market to get it. The LTE-enabled version will begin its rollout from the US in June.

**********​

This article will be updated based on what it says on the webpage itself, so feel free to visit it anytime.

Here are some pics:

gsmarena_001.jpg

gsmarena_003.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_004.jpg

Here is an article comparing the specifications of Samsung Galaxy S III to the Apple iPhone 4S.

Samsung Galaxy S III vs. Apple iPhone 4S – Spec Shootout

If someone wants my opinion on this phone, feel free to ask me.

i am disappointed with Galaxy S3 model so far... seems like I am going to stick with Galaxy note for the time being.. I was expecting better screen and design... screen size in my opinion is perfect for users like myself... but who knows it feels much better in hands since I saw picture and videos only so far

I hope iPhone 5 also comes with similar screen size

i am disappointed with Galaxy S3 model so far... seems like I am going to stick with Galaxy note for the time being.. I was expecting better screen and design... screen size in my opinion is perfect for users like myself... but who knows it feels much better in hands since I saw picture and videos only so far

I hope iPhone 5 also comes with similar screen size

Look at hardware inside :tup:

Here is some interesting development; I posted a rumor about the concept iPhone 5 in post #45 of this thread on page 3. An interesting article regarding the reasons this rumor should be taken seriously has just been released.

**********​

iphone4inch_story.jpg

The 4-Inch iPhone: Why You Should Take This Rumor Seriously

On Thursday morning, iLounge released mockups of what it says the next iPhone is going to look like, according to the site’s own unnamed sources. The main differences in appearance between the next iPhone and the current iPhone 4S? A metal back, a smaller dock connector, a 20 percent decrease in thickness, and a longer 4-inch display.

Concept designs for future iPhones are a dime a dozen and usually look like something Syd Mead might have slapped together after a glue-induced aneurysm. But iLounge’s concept looks pretty good. It may not prove to be an accurate prediction in the end, but it’s a sensible proposal.

The most obvious change in iLounge’s mockup is the 4-inch screen. That’s a big bump, as the iPhone’s display has stayed at 3.5 inches with a 3:2 aspect ratio since 2007. Why in the world would Apple change it now?

It all comes down to LTE. LTE radios take up more room in a smartphone than 3G radios and use more power. To put LTE capabilities in the next iPhone, you need to make room not just for the radio, but find enough juice to power it without significantly decreasing battery life.

The problem is there’s just not a lot of room inside an iPhone for anything more than is already there. An iPhone is a densely packed sandwich of silicon, radios, flash storage, motors and cameras. Over the past five generations, Apple has packed in everything that makes up an iPhone about as densely as possible, and the battery still makes up the bulk of every device.

If it’s going to fit anything else, Apple needs to make more room.

That’s one reason why iLounge is saying Apple will be ditching its current dock connector for a micro-sized version: Space saved in this area is space Apple can stuff with a larger battery or make for a bigger LTE chipset. But it’s also a reason why Apple would make the display bigger.

There’s been a lot of talk over the last couple of years that with the iPhone 5, Apple would bump the display up to a larger four inches, but the rumor’s always had a lot of problems. Increasing the iPhone’s display while maintaining its current 3:2 aspect ratio would make the device wider in the hand and harder to operate one-handed. It would also either decrease the pixel density of the iPhone’s Retina display, making it less “retina-ey” and more jaggy to the eyes, or require more pixels per inch to compensate, causing iPhone developers to design their apps for multiple resolutions (the exact same kind of fragmentation problem that’s bitten Android on its ***). No good.

That’s why conventional wisdom (until a couple months ago) was that Apple would keep a 3.5-inch display and eschew LTE until the radios were sufficiently small and power-efficient to fit into the current iPhone’s form factor. But with the new iPad’s WiFi + 4G release, Apple has made it abundantly clear that it is finally ready to embrace LTE. And the way the company is going to do it is by making the iPhone’s display longer, but not wider.

This theory was first floated over on The Verge, then gained traction when Daring Fireball’s John Gruber hinted that the person who had initially suggested it might just work for Apple, and know what direction the next iPhone would go. It’s got a lot to recommend it.

By ditching a 3:2 aspect ratio in favor of a 9:5 display, the new iPhone would feel about the same in the hand as the iPhone 4S, retain its current 326ppi resolution, and allow Apple room for an LTE chip and more battery. Apps could either be easily updated to support the new iPhone’s 4-inch display without breaking compatibility with 3.5-inch devices, or run in a letterbox without modification at their existing resolution.

There are other perks. Lengthening the display allows the iPhone in landscape view to show 16:9 videos without the ugly bars on either side. It gives game developers more room for on-screen controls, like virtual buttons and thumbsticks, without a gamer’s fingers obscuring what’s on the display. And so on.

Only Apple knows for sure what the next iPhone will look like, but iLounge’s concept isn’t necessarily all wet. Putting the display on a stretching rack might be the key to getting an LTE iPhone this year. And if you think Cupertino would never mess around with an iDevice’s aspect ratio like this, might I introduce you to our good schizophrenic friend, the iPod nano?

Problem with Android is the platform is fragmented. Fragmented devices, OS, apps, incompatibility issues. You also have a lot of unsecured apps in android. One example is one app that is available for one version of Android may not be available for another version of Android, this not only frustrates developers but also users.

Though people like to argue Apple's OS is "closed" or "limited" is a bit misleading, in fact a better description would be Apple's OS platform is secured and more regulated this ensures compatibility with all iOS devices, there is also a streamlined process. For those wanting a more free market experience you can always jailbreak the iPhone.

i think android in old devices wasnt up to the mark... but if you use galaxy s2 for a month you will forget iphone 4...

i bought galaxy s2 on contract in may 2011... gifted to my brother in law after 1 month to switch back to old love of iphone but i realized i was missing galaxy s2 so much that i bought again after couple of months of torture on iphone 4... bought 4s in october for SIRI but didnt like it as my galaxy s2 had better voice command system... i think devices like galaxy s2 or galaxy note or htc one x are very different to old versions of android... so try these devices for a change if you like

screen resolutions in iphone 4 and 4s is the best one but then IOS does not not have every feature of Android unlike Android that offers every feature of IOS...

i still like iphone very much but if iphone can be 80% of my laptop replacement... android is 98%

ok ok i am out of this thread as i am making off topic posts

hope iphone 5 comes with larger screen but at the same time proper notification center and complete overhaul of ios... there are so many features IOS can add in future... and make it better software

What is the guaranty that if Google releases a new OS later in this year then that will be available to S2?

I mean I bought S just a year earlier by spending 25k INR, that is 500 $ and it's obsolete now.

Yes if you are ready spend 500$ every year for a phone, then go for Samsung.

Symbian OS is by the far the most horrible mobile OS that ever came in to existence, Nokia's obsession with Symbian hampered their progress & caused a massive drop in their popularity & market share.

I can't even count how many times the browser crashed while surfing regular sites like Google on my old Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. Keep in mind this was with the latest firmware, Symbian is definitely not bug free. I never used the old Windows mobile OS so I can't comment on that.

Apple's iOS may have some bugs such as the issues regarding battery life, but compared to WP7 & Android, I am certain that iOS is a lot more stable & refined.
Those bugs are easy to fix, or atleast possible. There some bugs i've encountered that are many years old and appear for no reason and have no fix and dont even make sense why they happen, in the latest iOS. Also this applies to bada and android.

i have been user of both android and ios and it is strange to see people treat IOS superior despite the fact nothing much is changed in IOS in years...IOS was the best software until early 2011... IOS recently tried to copy android by introducing notification bar that really does nothing...

It's true that the notification bar in iOS mimics Android's but if you take a look at my earlier posts you would have read that Android basically today is what it is because of iOS. Steve Job's himself considered it a stolen product. I will disagree with you on another note, that just because nothing has changed doesn't mean that Android is better. Apple set the base of iOS with the release of the first iPhone, after that it has slowly built upon its platform by introducing features when they are refined enough to the extent that they function in an elegant manner. An example of elegance could be all the icons having the same size resulting in uniformity & an equal for a user to press the icon for every application. You may have noticed in the Galaxy S III you are able to watch a video in a tiny box as if it was a popup while doing other activities. Frankly that feature hasn't even been implemented decently & is just there for showing off.

in android i have meta trader 4 like software for forex with tons of features.. in iphone you have that crap software as an alternative although i admit there is another software that somewhat competes with android version but still not up to that standard... in android i have flash support.. live widgets.. keyboard as good as IOS... and browsing a lot more faster and easy to use... most of the android mobile companies have external memory card slot, bluetooth to connect every device unlike iphone version, copy paste songs or download from mobile unlike iphone, new games are almost similar to iphone version... try asphalt 6 in your android device... watch live cricket matches in your mobile from streaming website or live tv channels... anything that works in your computer works in android devices

Well flash is missing on iOS, the only way to get it at the moment is via jailbreak, but HTML5 being an emerging platform will hopefully change that. As for the quality of software, I even added articles stating that Google itself isn't happy with the quality of software on the Android market place. In my own experience almost every application on iOS is of superior quality to Android. I can even post YouTube videos of people demonstrating some awesome on their iPads & iPhones. I don't know if this helps, but is the kind of Forex software you require:

App Store - FOREXTrader by FOREX.com

The other points you mention are personal preference for example having live widgets, or any external memory card. Some people even want removable batteries, I hardly find any benefit in having a removable battery. I never came across a situation in my iPhone that would require me to remove my battery. It all comes down to this I guess, people should use what's best for them.

what iphone offers is easy to use software but with access denied in everything.... awesome gaming result but no flash supprt, no live straming from internet unless they have a dedicated software in app store, useless bluetooth, small screen with no laptop kind of experience unlike android devices that u can use as laptop alternative if your need is to do basic stuff

feel the difference between free open market and limited paid app store... in the end it all depends upon your personal choice whether you want to stick with easy to use IOS with limited features or slightly difficult to use android with more features

Apple's iOS has loads of software to do day to day tasks, you can use "Pages" for word processing. Also I am quite certain not all Android phones can be used as a laptop replacement, especially not the ones with smaller screens. The iPhone gives people a standard experience & is meant for those that like, Android's variation might be considered a strength by few, but it's also its biggest weakness.

Those bugs are easy to fix, or atleast possible. There some bugs i've encountered that are many years old and appear for no reason and have no fix and dont even make sense why they happen, in the latest iOS. Also this applies to bada and android.

What kind of bugs have you experienced with iOS? Can you tell us the iPhone model & iOS version? I have only experienced one annoying bug with safari & of course the battery life bug that accompanied iOS 5 initially.

Not just Punjabi. That's what they call brick in all the Indo-Aryan languages.

OMG! I might have just opened another never-ending debate. :D

I got confused because of the spelling in the transliteration. I will admit it's my fault as well that I didn't make the connection between the picture of the brick with the word "ITT" lol. If it was written in Urdu I would have understood it.

I will never buy a Samsung phone(and possibly android phone) again, since they refuse to roll out ICS update for Galaxy S and made it a big bloatware.

What's the point of spending 20+k INR on a phone that becomes obsolete in a year. F**king Aholes.

i am having galaxy gio and its running on ICS ROM its awesome why you didnt tried ICS ROMS on your galaxy S even its way power ful device then the galaxy gio may be you dont know the capabilities of android phone you better buy iphone toys those are good for you people :D

Flash for mobile is dead, browsing at gingerbread is real pain in a@@.

which browser you used for your android phone dear ?? galaxy S is a good phone and we can compare hardware of galaxt s with iphone 4 i am using medium android device its awesome and about browsing thingy there are a lot of forums which are linked up with android apps may be you didnt tried those apps too :rolleyes:

Problem with Android is the platform is fragmented. Fragmented devices, OS, apps, incompatibility issues. You also have a lot of unsecured apps in android. One example is one app that is available for one version of Android may not be available for another version of Android, this not only frustrates developers but also users.

Though people like to argue Apple's OS is "closed" or "limited" is a bit misleading, in fact a better description would be Apple's OS platform is secured and more regulated this ensures compatibility with all iOS devices, there is also a streamlined process. For those wanting a more free market experience you can always jailbreak the iPhone.

dear its not fault of android its up on the hardware of the devices it supports the components or not simple example is i have got samsung galaxy gio its doesnt play the HD games cz this phone is not made for playing n running many heavy apps which high end devices like galaxy s and S2 can play n run .. my brother owns S2 nd i have used it and done alot of pangaz with it i can say S2 is the best phone every came in market if you want to go for looks surely apple wins but if you talk about the hardware its samsung all the way with androids .

Back
Top Bottom