What's new

Google Nexus 5 and Android 4.4 KitKat rumors: here's everything............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nexus 5 appears in Google Play store for $349

As if the cacophony of leaks around the Nexus 5 weren't enough, here's the most official yet: Google's latest flagship phone has appeared on the Play store. The listing appears to have been made in error, as the phone cannot be bought and no details are available but the most important — a starting price of $349 for the 16GB version. While that's a higher barrier to entry than we saw with the Nexus 4, which also cost $349 at 16GB but had a $299 8GB model, it's still an attractively low price for what appears to be a more than capable device. Google's tagline for the LG-made phone is "Capture the everyday and the epic in fresh new ways."

The image of the Nexus 5 on the Play store is small, but a Verge commenter has provided a high-resolution version; it displays some of the same Android UI tweaks found on press shots that leaked earlier today. The next version of Android, 4.4 KitKat, looks to employ translucency effects on elements such as the app drawer and on-screen buttons, and the blue accents used in earlier versions of the software appear to have been replaced with white. Some apps have received new icons, too, including the camera and phone, and the wallpaper features an abstract "5" design in much the same style as the new Nexus 7's.

Google is yet to announce anything official about the Nexus 5, but it can't be far off now.

Nexus-5-Google-Play-Store-Early-Leak.jpg

Nexus 5 memory options and battery info leaks
18 October, 2013

The upcoming Nexus 5 announcement is drawing near (just 10 days left to go) and the rumors are intensifying. Today we saw it briefly in the Google Play store and now information has surfaced detailing the memory and battery capacity of the upcoming pureblood Android.

According to unofficial sources the Nexus 5 will come with either 16 GB or 32 GB of built-in, non-expandable, storage. The addition of the bigger 32 GB variant is great news and seems to confirm Google (and LG) won't be opting for an 8 GB model this year.

Then there's the battery, which doesn't ring as high on the hype meter as the memory options. The next Nexus smartphone is said to bring a 2,300 mAh battery, which given the rumors of a 5" display and latest Snapdragon 800 processor doesn't really sound too exciting. Previous rumors of the 32GB version packing a larger 3,000 mAh juice pack have unfortunately turned out to be unfounded.

Finally said sources point to a release before the end of October, however they don't specify if that refers to a global release or just to select markets in a first wave.

Nexus 5 appears in white and 3000 mAh battery appears a no-go
18 October, 2013

This latest takes us back to in-the-wild style and the reason for these being special is due to the color. The image is showing what is said to be the Nexus 5 retail packaging — with the phone on the box being white. The images first appeared on Underkg.com, but have since been removed. The packaging appears to be similar to what we have been seeing from Google. But the important thing to remember, these images have yet to be proven real. And in fact, we are more than a bit skeptical.

Nonetheless, they are fun to see and suggest the Nexus 5 could be available in at least two colors — the often-leaked black and white. Anyway, looking at the images we can see what appears to be a white Nexus 5, with the back being white and the front and sides retaining the darker shade. Anyway, check out the three-image gallery below and begin debating the authenticity. Or, the lack thereof.

13-2.png

13-1.png

1390627_599747473420998_1015783506_n.jpg

Since the rumor of a 3000 mAH battery has been put to rest, I wonder how the Nexus 5 would perform with the 2300 mAH battery taking in to consideration its upgraded specifications.

My iPhone 5 doesn't really have a good battery life. It can last the whole day with ease if I am not using cellular data, but with 3G services enabled; which is usually the case, I need to recharge it twice a day at least. I only use LTE when I require high Internet speeds because the battery drains way too fast to keep it enabled for extended periods of time.

[MENTION=22222]PWFI[/MENTION]

How is Nexus 4's battery life with moderate to slightly heavy usage? It will give me an idea of what to expect from the slight increase in battery capacity in the Nexus 5. I hope they have optimized the software to make the best possible use of the battery.

Since the rumor of a 3000 mAH battery has been put to rest, I wonder how the Nexus 5 would perform with the 2300 mAH battery taking in to consideration its upgraded specifications.

My iPhone 5 doesn't really have a good battery life. It can last the whole day with ease if I am not using cellular data, but with 3G services enabled; which is usually the case, I need to recharge it twice a day at least. I only use LTE when I require high Internet speeds because the battery drains way too fast to keep it enabled for extended periods of time.

[MENTION=22222]PWFI[/MENTION]

How is Nexus 4's battery life with moderate to slightly heavy usage? It will give me an idea of what to expect from the slight increase in battery capacity in the Nexus 5. I hope they have optimized the software to make the best possible use of the battery.

Bro, it depend upon you, personnely, i don't use 3g but 2g, i turn off all those things that i don't need, (wifi,mobile data,GPS localisation...) i turn them on when i need otherwise i turn them off , plus i have install easy battery defender, wich help me to extend my battery life by *1.6, oh and since android update 4.3 the battery life has been improved, and with 4.4 it will be even better, don't forget nexus 5 will have 3000 mAh baterry ;)

So i can use my nexus 4 for more than 24H heavy/moderate use :)

Bro, it depend upon you, personnely, i don't use 3g but 2g, i turn off all those things that i don't need, (wifi,mobile data,GPS localisation...) i turn them on when i need otherwise i turn them off , plus i have install easy battery defender, wich help me to extend my battery life by *1.6, oh and since android update 4.3 the battery life has been improved, and with 4.4 it will be even better, don't forget nexus 5 will have 3000 mAh baterry ;)

So i can use my nexus 4 for more than 24H heavy/moderate use :)

Thanks for the info bro. I want to purchase the Nexus 5, but I also want the experience to be as close to the iPhone as possible. By this I mean good software optimization, timely updates, etc.

Hopefully, the 32 GB version of the Nexus 5 won't take too long to arrive here after release. By the way bro, the 3000 mAH battery rumors turned out to be false yesterday, the phone will only have a 2300 mAH battery.

Thanks for the info bro. I want to purchase the Nexus 5, but I also want the experience to be as close to the iPhone as possible. By this I mean good software optimization, timely updates, etc.

Hopefully, the 32 GB version of the Nexus 5 won't take too long to arrive here after release. By the way bro, the 3000 mAH battery rumors turned out to be false yesterday, the phone will only have a 2300 mAH battery.

Don't worry about the bold part :)
About 3000 mAh, i have heard that 32GB version will have 3000mAH, and 16GB version will have 2300 mAH battery

About 3000 mAh, i have heard that 32GB version will have 3000mAH, and 16GB version will have 2300 mAH battery

No boht 16 and 32 GB would have 2300mAh which is big let down especially when its not removable battery. If it was iOS then even 1600mAh was enough as apple optimize software in such way that it take less juice than android

Those who had Nexus 4 loved everything about the phone except battery and memory . Battery of nexus 4 hardly give 4 to 5 hour screen on time when you surf 3g internet or video/voice calling over the internet

so now my option is to go for LG g2 and make it nexus 5 with AOSP ROM lol

How much is Nexus 5 gonna be unlocked?

Nexus%205%20Google%20Play%20Store-900-80.jpg

its unlocked when you buy directly from google play

It would not be much higher than the launch price of nexus 4

The Nexus 5 is not much of a difference from the Nexus 4.

Should I buy the Nexus 4 as its only 199 or wait for the Nexus 5 and buy that?

The Nexus 5 is not much of a difference from the Nexus 4.

Should I buy the Nexus 4 as its only 199 or wait for the Nexus 5 and buy that?

Nexus 5 has got more powerful chipset, Faster CPU/GPU available right now and also got better screen resolution FULL HD(441 ppi pixel density)) compare to Nexus 4(318 ppi pixel density). RAM is same and battery of N5 is only 200 mah extra which will not make any difference because of more bright/sharp screen and faster processor. Nexus 4 available in 8/11 GB interna memory while nexus 5 will be with 16/32 GB memory. Everything else is same

I would ask you to wait for nexus 5 which will release at the end of this month and have price comparison between 4 and 5 . If price is not much different then go for nexus 5. Nexus 5 will probbaly cost 20 or 30 pounds extra as was the case with NEXUS 7 old and new tablet

Nexus 5 has got more powerful chipset, Faster CPU/GPU available right now and also got better screen resolution FULL HD(441 ppi pixel density)) compare to Nexus 4(318 ppi pixel density). RAM is same and battery of N5 is only 200 mah extra which will not make any difference because of more bright/sharp screen and faster processor. Nexus 4 available in 8/11 GB interna memory while nexus 5 will be with 16/32 GB memory. Everything else is same

I would ask you to wait for nexus 5 which will release at the end of this month and have price comparison between 4 and 5 . If price is not much different then go for nexus 5. Nexus 5 will probbaly cost 20 or 30 pounds extra as was the case with NEXUS 7 old and new tablet

Chipset? I dont care about that...

Nexus 4 CPU is pretty good too... its top of the line...

Both are 1080p screens... I dont know why google is being dumb and changing screen pixels when you cant tell much of a difference from 1080p +

only 200 mah extra? this will be less battery life it means...

I think this just means Nexus 4 is more bang for the buck... Except it doesnt have LTE

OH & BTW if Nexus 5 comes out can i still buy the older Nexus 4?

Chipset? I dont care about that...

Nexus 4 CPU is pretty good too... its top of the line...

Both are 1080p screens... I dont know why google is being dumb and changing screen pixels when you cant tell much of a difference from 1080p +

only 200 mah extra? this will be less battery life it means...

I think this just means Nexus 4 is more bang for the buck... Except it doesnt have LTE

OH & BTW if Nexus 5 comes out can i still buy the older Nexus 4?

N4 CPU was at the top during its release but not any more. N4 has 4.7 inch 768 x 1280 pixels sacreen while N5 got 1080 x 1920 pixels 5.0 inches

Snapdragon 800 which is present in latest note 3/xperia z1/N5/Lg G2 top in benchmarks result and leave all others devices including s4/note 2/htc one way too behind

You may not notice much difference in real life when doing normal tasks of surfing web or watching video but it make difference when playing 3D games and multitasking then more is always better and welcome. You can buy nexus 4 from shops other than play store but play store will stop selling old one once they release N5 and as i said new nexus 7 replaced with old one and price difference was only 20/30 pounds extra with better specification. N5 will be still much cheaper than its competitor even with all this premium body and latest specifications

N4 is also available in LTE but LTE is useless if you dont have 4g connection in your country. Pakistan dont have even 3g.

Thanks for the info bro.

Yeah, I had read the same thing myself, but as per this article, that rumor turned out to be false.

Hopefully, Google would have made enough optimizations to get the best possible performance from the battery. If not, I have left the Note 3 as an option.

Right now, the battery life isn't as much of a concern for me as hoping the 32 GB model shows up here (Saudi Arabia). I am not sure who to blame here, whether it's the importers or the companies, but for some reason when it comes to Android phones, particularly Samsung devices, it's impossible to find greater storage options.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 is only available in the 16 GB option, the Note 3 is available with 32 GB storage, but that's probably because it was the base storage size available initially. I think the 16 GB variant is available here too. Apple is probably the only company that ensures every variant of their products is available in this country.

iPhone 5S all the way! Boo Android!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom