What's new

Single Engine Gripen NG may win MMRCA

Storm Force

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
With 272 su30mki by 2015-2016 + 69 mig29smt india will have over 50% of its air force as expensive to maintain twin engined fighters.

The original mmrca top contender was a single engined mirage2000 dash 5... multi role fighter.

If IAF awards this mmrca to F18SH/RAFAEL OR TYPHOON IAF will be too top heavey with twin engines fighters by 2020 ie 80% of a 640 fleet will be 2 engines and far too expensive to operate maintain etc.

272 su30mki
60 mig29smt
126mmrca

versis
100tejasmk1/2
51 mirage2000 dash5 single engines

The fact that the GE414 HAS WON the LCA MK2 ENGINE RACE AND THE GIPEN NG has same engine plus the gipen can use both American & european weapons this fighter must be a red hot option.

The gripen is offering a new AESA or even accomadating a indo israeli aesa the elta520 hybrid
it can use USA amraam & the new meteore BVR and came out tops in the very cold high altitude trials at LEH. where alot of the other contenders failed.

Would this air force not be better for economy

272 su30mki & mig29smt similar weapons and engines
126gripenng & 100 tejas mk2 same engine and same elta radars

also reduces the single engined/twin engines to 50/50 ratio...by 2020.

Don,t forget post 2020 another twin engined fighter joins the IAF IN THE PAK FA...

Also i believe the GRIPEN NG is also the cheapest to buy.

To go the other side and seriously debate

Capability wise is the Gripenng a multi role fighter and can it live with the F18SH OR TYPHOON

Should india not go with the most powerful fighter. which i believe is the Typhoon or F18S/H

JESUS WAT A PROBLEM to have

Yes...I was and am in favor of this...the only thing with Gripen-NG is that this comes very close to the specs of LCA Mk-II (although in my opinion it will be very good for LCA Mk-II program and can help it bring earlier ) which is not entirely true if we consider its range and payload..
Plus with FGFA coming next decade we will need some fighter with reasonably good performance and easy to maintain..
Another advantage is that we can fire almost any available missile ( Meteor,AIM-120D,R-77 ...) from this.

But i dont think so Indian authorities are going for Gripen NG anyways.coz its a light medium role plane ......and cannt be compared to F18 or typhoon ......

Gripen was also finalized by PAF but later dropped in favor of JFT.

because we operate F-16s. This doesn't let the "mindset" settle for F-16in. 2cents.

I wouldnt mind F-16IN S.V. in Indian colors..

varghese-albums-pics-picture3736-f-16-super-viper.jpg

:cheers::cheers:

because we operate F-16s. This doesn't let the "mindset" settle for F-16in. 2cents.

Not sure about the mindset but the F-16 does not fit into the Indian doctrine. For one it is a legacy platform which is going to be discontinued within the next 5 years as the F-35 comes on line. Second the Viper is basically an air defense fighter. With the Sukhoi MKI present in large numbers why would they need the smaller F-16 to do the same purpose?

The Gripen will also not win the competition...just buy more of the LCA instead of the Gripen if needed. Euro fighter again does the same role as the MKI so why buy it?

That leaves the Rafale and the SH..both superb true multi role aircrafts. The Rafale is damn expensive and french weapons also cost a lot. The SH is the best buy to replace all the obsolete Mig-27's in the inventory for the ground attack role.

It will be either Eurofighter or Gripen. There is much more to it than just the LCA engine and maintainence. The winner will be the one which has more potential in future battle scenarios. The IAF chief claimed that aircrafts like Su-30 will be obsolete in 10 years. He was obviously exaggerating, but what he was trying to say is that 10-20 years down the line even good 4.5th gen fighters would be of very little use (compared to the 5th gen). This might also be why we are going for 250-300 FGFA as opposed to 200-250. So MMRCA is required to fill the gap between 2015 - 2020 (when 5th gen jets will begin induction)
IMO Gripen is the best value for money. Eurofighter is simply too expensive. We are supposedly getting PAK-FA's for almost the same price !

However, it will NOT be both Eurofighter AND Gripen because the chief said IAF is trying to minimize the variety of platforms it operates.

So when exactly is India going to buy it?

July of next year is when the winner will be announced I believe. I know it seems as if India is indecisive but I have some experience in commercial aircraft and even they too take a quite a lot of time to be deployed and be ready( just look at the new Boeing plane and headaches delays its causing). Technologies that are meant to destroy take even longer by their nature.

July of next year is when the winner will be announced I believe. I know it seems as if India is indecisive but I have some experience in commercial aircraft and even they too take a quite a lot of time to be deployed and be ready( just look at the new Boeing plane and headaches delays its causing). Technologies that are meant to destroy take even longer by their nature.

The new Boeing plane is still in the finishing stage. These planes are all in the production/service stage. They are matured products. I think India is still unsure of the cost.

Back
Top Bottom