What's new

Typhoon, Gripen back in fray, Rafale deal split wide open

Gripen would only make sense if it uses the same engine as the Tejas as well as seeding subsystems to the Tejas. This would reduce the operating costs on both jets.

My hunch is that IAF is using the political blackmail to make Dassault drop the price further as well as transfer a greater level of thechnology.

Utter BS that has been proven to be LIES.

Latest news:

Mr Jaitley had only one query: what is the cost of the contract?

The IAF's answer -- Rs. 100,000 crore spread over 10 years -- immediately evoked a positive reaction from Mr Jaitley, sources in the Ministry of Defence told NDTV.

The enthused IAF brass now says that if the government gives the final clearance, the massive, and in many ways the first-of-its-kind contract, may be clinched in the next six months.

Meanwhile, many of Rafale's competitors are lobbying hard against the contract and running down the fighter aircraft over various counts, including 'prohibitive' costs.

But the IAF top brass is clear that the process to buy the MMRCA is irreversible,

Meanwhile, the Rafale deal is likely to be on top of the agenda during French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius's two-day visit to India, which starts today.

India's Rafale Fighter Jet Deal in Final Lap, Awaits Government's Nod

In short- the likes of SAAB and the EFT consortium are shelling out some serious $$$ in the HOPE of destabilising this deal but there is ZERO indication this is because the GoI has asked them to do so. The IAF have said they need this plane (the Rafale) and that their decision on fighter is "irreversible ", no way will this BJP/Modi govt go against the wishes of the Military and select something else- they have held a consistent line on improving military-civlian relations and giving the armed forces what they want/need.

But how it become flop.. it has got delayed. This is a humongous deal for a country like India... we don't have any friends who can give us soft loans... we have to give the our hard earned money.. we will milk till the last possible drop..

see SAAB's offer is delicious

Every year the competition is dragged on, one more year the aircraft loses it's potency. Besides, one can understand a wait for signing a deal of 3-5 years, it's still a lot from our perspective. But when a deal is verging on 7-10 years before any delivery, some serious questions need to be asked.

At this rate, the Chinese will have aircraft to rival the Indian MMRCA perhaps before the deal is signed, in decent numbers too.

It's fine to rethink your options, and personally I agree, if I was in the IAF, Gripen would be my choice. But make your call already.

Every year the competition is dragged on, one more year the aircraft loses it's potency. Besides, one can understand a wait for signing a deal of 3-5 years, it's still a lot from our perspective. But when a deal is verging on 7-10 years before any delivery, some serious questions need to be asked.

At this rate, the Chinese will have aircraft to rival the Indian MMRCA perhaps before the deal is signed, in decent numbers too.

It's fine to rethink your options, and personally I agree, if I was in the IAF, Gripen would be my choice. But make your call already.

it is not that we are buying a aircraft.. there are hell lot of other things.... it will take her own sweet time... once in a lifetime decision.. i agree we should have taken the decision but because of sluggish economy we couldn't

The French will relent to our demands. 126+74 is a massive order.

Gripen is looking like a great prospect... MOD should not over look it... we don't have that sort of money to fund both Rafale and FGFA.

Absolutely.

Just imagine the technologies and markets that HAL could acquire if it buys SAAB.

The only hindrance is presence of American components in Gripen.

This obession and paranoia with American components is nuts. Ask yourself, would this stop China from obtaining such companies? NO absoloutely not. China would instead run a parallel program to reverse engineer such components. India think out of the goddamn box!

Rafale will come for sure
Delivery will not start until 2016
And the Rafale will be relevant and be upgraded by french and indian money for next two decades stil
It wil be the best fighter most advanced fighter in the indian sub continent until A FIFTH generation fighter is inducted by either Pakistan or india.And that is not likely for a FULL DECADE.

However

I do fear PLAAF and it pending arrival a FIFTH gen fighter much sooner
Can the Rafale with an AESA radar and meteore BVR take a fifth gen chinease toe to toe

PERSONALLY unless chinease technology passess F22 RAPTOR capability IMO a rafale or Typhoon wil give any fifth generation fighter a real headache including F35 lightening

The main mistake people make is, to not look at the requirements of the deal nor how delays happen. M-MRCA is not just a fighter replacement, it has far higher aim on adding techs or weapon capabilities as well as industrial benefits. Therefore not the time of delivery of the fighter counts, but the ammount of operational and industrial benefits you get in return for the money you spend!
Also the last 2 years since selection of Rafale, were mainly used by Dassault to fulfill the offset and ToT requirements and not to sign the contract as the public often believes. Without Dassault teaming up with Indian partners, signing own contracts with them, preparing them and their partners for the licence production..., no contract can be signed by the government anyway. However, that took longer than expected and Dassault imo unnecessarily delayed things towards the elections, but now with these delays and deliveries possible only in a time frame beyond the initial plan in the RFP, I also say MoD needs to re-evaluate the shortlisted fighters, to see which one provides the most advantages by the new time frame. Gripen Eaccording to Indias requirements is one of the worst choices, which it was rejected. Not developed, limited performance...ToT and offsets. The fields where it has it's advantages are covered by LCA in India.

Nothings gonna happen.... Rafale deal will be signed in months... I wouldn't say anything about Typhoon. its a great fighter... but Grippen can Kiss my A....................

Back
Top Bottom