What's new

Sikh To Death, a War nerd's tribute to Sikh warriors

@ joe:

I too know abt Alaudin Khilji and his general Malik Khafur...wat i meant was the Tamils were defeated in battles but were never subjugated completely until the British came.

And its not Tanjore..its the Madurai Nayaks and they were not completely marathas...but Maratha intermingling with Tamils and a political alliance taking place.

Dear Sir,

You are wrong again, on both counts.

Apart from Alauddin Khalji and Malik Kafur, Aurangzeb appointed the first Nawabs of the Carnatic, and before you jump to the erroneous conclusion that the territory was Karnataka, it was what later would be called the Madras Presidency and the territory of the Nizam put together. To be exact, the boundaries were as follows:

The old province known as the Carnatic, in which Madras (Chennai) was situated, extended from the Krishna river to the Coleroon, and was bounded on the West by Cuddapah, Salem and Dindigul, all of which formed part of the State of Mysore. The Northern portion was known as the Mughal Carnatic, the Southern the Maharatta Carnatic with the Maharatta frontier fortress being Gingee. Carnatic, the name commonly given to the region of Southern India between the Eastern Ghats and the Coromandel Coast and the Western Ghats, extends from Palghat to Bidar and stretches from the Guntur district of Andhra Pradesh in the North, to Cape Comorin at the Southern-most tip of Tamil Nadu State.

Just to complete the point before going on to the next, this is from Wikipedia, and if you dislike Wikipedia and want an English text book of history, you can try Percival Spear, or Nilakantha Shastri:

...The Nawabdom of the Carnatic controlled a vast territory south of the Krishna river. The Nawab Saadetullah of (1710-1732) moved his court from Gingee to Arcot. His successor Dost Ali (1732-1740) conquered and annexed Madurai in 1736.

Saadatullah was the second Nawab, not the first.

Muhammad Ali Wallajah (1749 - 1795 ) was freed from his suzerainty and made the independent ruler of the Carnatic by the Mughal emperor in 1765. His rule was long and mostly peaceful. He donated generously to Churches, Temples and Mosques. The temple at Sri Rangam was one which benefited from his generosity.

Coming to your point about the Madurai Nayaks, the reason why I display bad temper when you are concerned is your absolute certainty about facts about which you have no clue. Yet you insist that whatever you have picked up from reading Kalki is history.

About the Marathas at Tanjore for instance: surely even you should have visited Tanjore at least once in your life. Have you not looked around and seen the evidence that the Maharaja's family were Marathas? I don't expect you to know that it was a cadet branch of the Bhonsle family to which Shivaji Chhatrapati belonged; but at least you might have picked up the elementary information that the princes were Maratha? Read on:

The most prominent member of the clan was Shivaji, the founder of the Maratha empire. His successors ruled as maharajas from their capital at Satara, although de facto rule of the empire passed to the Peshwas, the Marathas' hereditary chief ministers, during the reign of Shahu I.

In addition to the Bhonsle Maharajas of Satara, rulers of the Bhonsle clan established themselves at Nagpur and Kolhapur in modern-day Maharashtra in the 18th century. The Bhonsle of Thanjavur were descendants of Sivaji's step-brother Venkoji, while the Bhonsle of Satara and Kolhapur were descended from Sivaji's sons, Sambhaji and Rajaram.

Please go to Tanjore and see for yourself. Next to the big temple, there is the royal palace, today a museum. Just look around for half an hour. It will educate you on the matter.

Sincerely,

@ joe shearer

With respect, Subhas Bose was hardly the bravest. One of the brightest, politically brave, not afraid to think for himself and to resist Gandhi's tyranny - sure.

Sir, I was speaking in terms of impact value ! Also,in the event of capture, I doubt if his treatment would have been any different from those who you mentioned ( certainly not like Nehru et al.) He knew that and still went ahead with his plan, that is some courage!

@ Karthic, I second on with the opinion of Joe.. Please dont spread anything with misinfo.. I found some post's tone offensive but this does not impact opinion of one's sect...

Once my Tamil and Telugu friends were discussing about history and telugu guy asked me why you northies are always aggressive and ready for fight? I said because it is in our genes.. we are fighting for some 3000 years.. My tamil buddy instantly thanked me and said .. you know what we were save because all attacks were stopped by these guys in north and hence it has least impact on us... not a superiority complex but yes buddy we were first always to get impact...

Dear Sir,

I couldn't help chuckling when I read your post. You've fallen into one of the most common misconceptions in the book: the British martial races fallacy.

Would you like to guess, of the three of you in conversation, which came from a race that has the greatest claim to being the superior martial race in India?

Sincerely,

Is it jammu?
Why can't type here?
BTW I am from Buxar(Bihar).
Are you dogra rajput?

very well...u and the other guy wrote it inspite of me insisting to not mention it here :no: :)

ya..i am a dogra rajput...my fathers ancestors migrated from UP and mothers ancestors from Rajasthan..about a thousand years ago.

A song for my Rajput brother

Hope u understand even a lil bit of punjabi.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya we do understand punjabi..my culture is very similiar to punjabi culture.

We are your brothers but please find a moderator brother otherwise we may get suspended for derailing thread. :no:

Veera aey mod kisey dey sagay nahin:lol:

And yes i kinda know kashmiri rajput culture.

And yes i kinda know kashmiri rajput culture.

There are no kashmiri rajputs brother only kashmiri pandits..thatswhy kashmiri hindus are also called kashmiri pandits...kashmir is a different region.

@ Joe Shearer

Sir,as you asked about General Zorawar Singh.

Every year 13th of April is remembered as the General Zorawar Singh day where his sacrifices are remembered.There is a statue of General Zorawar Singh in Jammu city where GOC other top ranking army officials and politicians visit to pay tribute to the General.

General Zorawar Singh joined the army of Maharaja Gulab Singh as a sepoy and rose to the position of General.He was the General of Kistiwar.

He annexed Ladakh in 1834 and then went on to capture Skadu,Gilgit and Hunza.

He wanted to capture Tibet also.In his final battles he went for Tibet.There he faced a numerically superior enemy and the extreme weather too.He laid down his life in the battlefied while fighting against the Tibetian troops.

I believe today Leh and Ladakh are a part of India coz of the great General.He was a great military stratergian.Europeans called him the "Napolean of India".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom