What's new

Should Turkey be the next permanent member of United Nations Security Council?

Should Turkey be the next permanent member of United Nations Security Council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SekrutYakhni

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I fully support this notion because we need a country from Middle East in order to solve disputes, represent ~1 billion+ people from all over the world, Muslims.

Saudi Arabia is not capable to handle such a situation/responsibility and same goes to Iran. Pakistan is surrounded by many social and religion problems--

I think that Turkey, being secular and representing ~1 billion Muslims, should be the next permanent member.

What do you think?

On a side note, I am a staunch critic of UNSC as this gives an unfair advantage to few nations.

"Hope so,But there are many other countries performing better than Turkey"

It was not about performance sir, not at all. What about those economic depression days of Russia? I am sure that many other countries were performing well during that time. It is all about hegemony of nuclear states and the states who were colonial/imperial at one point of time.

French
Birtish
USSR/Russia
America--labelled as imperialists.

We need a representation of 1billion+ people.

Now, I am not suggesting that UNSC should be a 'religious war zone' rather a state of ME better understands the problems of the region. Technically speaking, Turkey is not in ME but it shares history and is more suitable candidate.

On a side note, I am a staunch critic of UNSC as this gives an unfair advantage to few nations.

In the US we feel the same , sort of- the US is the biggest contributor of aid to the world, while the rest in the P5 don't contribute much.

USA will oppose, because Turkey wants to join the EU.
Russia will oppose, because geopolitics.
China will oppose, because East Turkistan.
I think that Saudi Arabia is more qualified.

No, I don't want those fat bellies to roam and talk about issues we face i.e. Arabia

They are better off with their royal money.

USA will oppose, because Turkey wants to join the EU.
Russia will oppose, because geopolitics.
China will oppose, because East Turkistan.
I think that Saudi Arabia is more qualified.

Will China support anything constructive in this world? lol

The point of supporting Turkey is because than we will be able to highlight our problems and how to tackle them etc

Poverty, strategic issues, religious issues, social issues etc

Under Chapter Six of the Charter, "Pacific Settlement of Disputes", the Security Council "may investigate any dispute, or any situation which might lead to international friction or give rise to a dispute". The Council may "recommend appropriate procedures or methods of adjustment" if it determines that the situation might endanger international peace and security. These recommendations are not binding on UN members.
Under Chapter Seven, the Council has broader power to decide what measures are to be taken in situations involving "threats to the peace, breaches of the peace, or acts of aggression". In such situations, the Council is not limited to recommendations but may take action, including the use of armed force "to maintain or restore international peace and security". This was the basis for UN armed action in Korea in 1950 during the Korean War and the use of coalition forces in Iraq and Kuwait in 1991. Decisions taken under Chapter Seven, such as economic sanctions, are binding on UN members.

Now, UNSC does not mention social and religious issues but I think that social and religious issues contribute in: "may investigate any dispute, or any situation which might lead to international friction or give rise to a dispute"

Furthermore, I think that Turkey being a secular nation will also influence other Muslims nations to become a state with the law of the land considering minorities rather than implementing a religious law. Moreover, Israel-Palestinian conflict, Shia-Sunni conflict etc etc
There are many reasons to support Turkey.

No, I don't want those fat bellies to roam and talk about issues we face i.e. Arabia

They are better off with their royal money.

Sir, the EU can not have 3 UNSC seat, USA and Russia and China can not accept that. So USA against Germany get seats. Turkey is the same.
And Middle East belongs to the Arabs, so should need a Arab delegates...

Sir, the EU can not have 3 UNSC seat, USA and Russia and China can not accept that.
And Middle East belongs to the Arabs, so should need a Arab delegates...

What difference will it make? One could say that we don't need two veto powers from Asia--The third one is also coming, India.

Last time I heard, Turkey was not in EU---Am I wrong?

By your logic, the best candidate will be from Africa or South America because 2 from Asia, 2 from Europe, 1 from North America---

Anyways, there won't be any difference if a third one is from a gateway of Europe and Asia.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom