What's new

Shahid Afridi announces Pakistan comeback

^^^^^^^^^

absolutely.....

they did make mistakes, but they did put up a fight (in a VERY hostile territory). Afridi has been a good leader for the team, he's known to be a mediator and not somebody who takes sides. He does have some good leadership traits. We all hope he and the squad continue to play hard and do it for the country and for the spirit of the game.

I seriously want to see Afridi back in the ODI and T-20 squad but not as a captain.

Let Misbah do this job of responsibility and let Afridi learn the skills of captaincy under his leadership. Who knows if Afridi replaces him as a Captain after Misbah retires... but certainly Afridi lacks temperament and Misbah is calm as cucumber...

Afridi should captain for t-20....

but for test matches, he doesnt have that kind of patience. For test, Misbah should assume the role.

for ODI -- tough question. Maybe we should run a poll here :D

^^^^^^^^^

absolutely.....

they did make mistakes, but they did put up a fight (in a VERY hostile territory). Afridi has been a good leader for the team, he's known to be a mediator and not somebody who takes sides. He does have some good leadership traits. We all hope he and the squad continue to play hard and do it for the country and for the spirit of the game.

Being Aggressive or energetic in the field does not necessarily mean you are a good leader. I have carefully watched Afridi's role in the fielding when he was a captain and he really disappointed me by his weird reactions if any fielder made a mistake or slightly late in reaction. Nobody is perfect but he was like running after them like an animal as soon as someone makes mistake and it is not a good trait for leadership

Afridi is still probably the best player in the squad, the best fielder also... but not the best captain in my opinion. At least no more after continually breaking the code of conduct and giving bold/immature statements and creating a lot of controversies in recent months

I seriously want to see Afridi back in the ODI and T-20 squad but not as a captain.

Let Misbah do this job of responsibility and let Afridi learn the skills of captaincy under his leadership. Who knows if Afridi replaces him as a Captain after Misbah retires... but certainly Afridi lacks temperament and Misbah is calm as cucumber...

Brother i have played in the same team as Misbah and sometimes he is so quiet you hardly notice him. Afridi is a real passionate guy and i believe has grown up. I think he has the respect of the team and has shown through recently a difficult time in Pakistani cricket to have a maturer head than i thought he would have. The Pakistani team has always performed well when under pressure and when they are filled with passion and im sure Afridi could do that.

Brother i have played in the same team as Misbah and sometimes he is so quiet you hardly notice him. Afridi is a real passionate guy and i believe has grown up. I think he has the respect of the team and has shown through recently a difficult time in Pakistani cricket to have a maturer head than i thought he would have. The Pakistani team has always performed well when under pressure and when they are filled with passion and im sure Afridi could do that.

1) Asking board to give him more power to control the team and after gaining the respectable power, suddenly retiring from test cricket in the middle of a series is not a trait of mature man

2) Making crazy statements against a country (Indian public) just after the world cup and creating controversies is not a trait of mature men

3) Breaching the code of conduct and giving bold statements against the coach and the board in public is childish act

4) Standing in the middle of pitch like an idiot after taking any wicket is foolish act in my opinion. I used to love his reaction in the beginning but he is doing this like its "fard" upon him to repeat that stunt after taking every single wicket. No matter even if the team loses that match eventually or he was hit for 8 runs per over in the entire game

5) Shouting on the players and scolding them after a little late reaction in the ground is not a trait of good leadership.

I can continue writing - the point is... he needs to work on his leadership skills and try to be patient as much as possible. Look at Ricky ponting or Dhoni in the field... look how they react if someone makes a mistake. They try to encourage fielders to be more energetic and field for the country... Afridi rather makes people nervous in the ground and apparently behave a like Big boss. He needs to restart playing like a team-man instead of a superior character. He was wonderful when he was a player... he does crazy things while he is a captain. I also dislike his strategy of taking the game forward... he literally messed up everything in the semi final due to poor strategy. There are many more matches where he didn't utilize his true potential

I am not against Afridi's captaincy but I strongly feel he needs to learn more before handing over the captaincy back to him. I want to see him the captain of Pakistan side in 2015 World cup... but not so soon... Misbah is doing better job in my opinion and you see the players are more comfortable with his captaincy skills. Look at the team's performance... the batsmen are scoring runs and the bowlers are producing great results... but very often I noticed the players were so much under pressure that they lost wicket in nervousness or by being over or less confident instead of playing their natural game under the leadership of Afridi.

but sir, in the ''heat'' of the moment isn't it good to put some mild pressure on the fellow team members?

shouldnt abuse or push them --especially when millions of viewers are watching. But as captain, he's gotta get them pumped up. But perhaps you could be right, i don't know.

whether we agree or not with the whole ''india media'' and ''hearts'' thing -- it wasnt his job to discuss it, though i think that statement was taken way out of context

Zakii bro you make a good and valid reason. Thanks for your reasoning and perhaps you are right.

Bottom line is he is a valuable asset in the team and is a match winner - one which the opposition will always fear as player or captain.

He certainly has his flaws, but his strong points outweigh his weak, & he is the best option Pakistan has. He is respected by his fellow team members, & is always able to rally his troops from virtually nothing, in tough conditions. These are very good qualities in Afridi.

but sir, in the ''heat'' of the moment isn't it good to put some mild pressure on the fellow team members?
Encouraging team players to put more efforts is a very good thing but when you start scolding them to put more efforts... more likely the players will get nervous and may not be able to give their 100%. They are not school kids... they are professional players so they do know the basics of Cricket right?

I can share couple of videos with you and you can decide it by yourself... Let me see if i can find any from youtube right now
shouldnt abuse or push them --especially when millions of viewers are watching. But as captain, he's gotta get them pumped up. But perhaps you could be right, i don't know.
Yeah thats exactly what was happening... you could literally hear everything from the microphone placed in the pitch.... he was scolding them too much that you can even consider it as "abuse"

There is a reason why many of the key players agreed to play under Misbah's captaincy and not Afridi... and there is a reason why they were not able to give good performances under Afridi's captaincy and we witnessed too many batting collapses in the Pakistan squad in the last 2 years.... The matches we won were mostly due to Afridi's individual brilliance or Misbah's calmness... I don't remember anything extra-ordinary a part from that
whether we agree or not with the whole ''india media'' and ''hearts'' thing -- it wasnt his job to discuss it, though i think that statement was taken way out of context
Trust me even his explanation after the stupid statement was also very stupid but then we can always have a good debate on it

He just said something silly and was trying to cover it with silly remarks

ok let me post some videos to prove my point. I repeat again - I have no disrespect for Afridi... its that I no longer feel he is the best choice for Pakistan and all of you are welcome to disagree with my personal feelings

1) Afridi swearing on Hafeez (calling him Gaando)

2) Afridi calling PCB management "Beghayrat" (breaching code of conduct)

3) I was actually trying to find a video in which he was scolding Umar Akmal and in second video he was after another fielder I can't remember. I think too much energy is also dangerous for team-spirit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, guys, brothers... Seriously, why bother? Brett Farve has done this almost every season once he left fudge packers.

Shahid Afridi announces Pakistan comeback

Or

His come back :D

To be honest Pakistani players need to be mature especially Afridi..Jazbaat mein a kar retiremnet detey hein aur phir kabi khud aur kabi kisi se mintein karwa kar wapis a jatey hein..Its not professional approach :)

in the heat of the moment, it happens.....''gandu'' is not a very nice thing to call a team-mate. That was some sloppy fielding by Hafeez though, i must say.

PCB -- well i think it's (former) head was beghairat but yes again, in public these types of language are not professional and so he shouldnt say it. There are clever ways to expose the incompetence of PCB, this isn't the way. Emotions in public is never a good thing, i think.

Back
Top Bottom