What's new

Saudi Arabia expresses interest in JF-17 co-production with Pakistan.

They are also eyeing the creation of an air wing for the Saudi Arabian National Guard. Which will focus on defensive operations and provide a second tier to their primary forces. However, they do seem to have little need for more aircraft if the additional 72 typhoons go ahead. That will give them some 230 odd F-15s and 144 Typhoons.. Those assets seem enough to offer credible defence for critical Saudi areas unless further urban and industrial expansion is undertaken.

More than credible defence, given only threat to them is apparently Iran while region is full of their allies, with good forces and there is USA. Giving SANG an air wing makes sense so does other benefits as posted by Aeronaut.

What amazed me was that they have such a big force with all technologically advanced machines, for such a well protected country. Kind of makes our forces - Indian/Pakistani diminuted given the threat scenario we have!

its a long term planning on Saudi Side and a strategic move.
Pakistan will benefit with much needed funds for further development of Thunder, plus Jobs, & experience.
Thunder is very true day/night multirole platform, given the choice of weapons can be used in various roles.
In dog fight it is a deadly bird, second to non.

Dear all members,

All above is watching dreams only. Saudia will never buy or participate in this project. Please live in reality. They will always buy US, European made weapon.
Let me tell you a true story," I asked Dr. AbdulQadeer Khan when he always use to come and stay in IHG Jeddah. sir, you are coming after every 2 months and you are getting royal protocol did you ever give them ideas to do something big? he said well, i can only say that once i told the Crown Prince that why you should make car factories here. Ask any Car company they will agree to built plant here, assemble the cars here you will have jobs plus the cars will be low prices. He replied leave it Dr. our people will not buy these cars. so dear members, they will not buy your machines except any food items. hahahah

This is the fact and truth.

@Aeronaut they might end up having the most advance JF-17 variant till now, because they can afford advance tech from west which Pakistan was not able to get due to several reasons, if you remember Pakistan initially wanted French avionics and engine for JF-17, there were also news of Vixen AESA offered for JF-17 which was not entertained mostly due to non available of funds and JF-17 is designed to accomodate western systems so it will not be a huge problem if KSA funds can get TOT of some important tech like radar and engine.

Pakistan will benefit with much needed funds for further development of Thunder, plus Jobs, & experience.
Every fcking country in this world talks about jobs when it comes to defence stuff except india...
India has to learn not to waste money on foreign maal...

@Aeronaut they might end up having the most advance JF-17 variant till now, because they can afford advance tech from west which Pakistan was not able to get due to several reasons, if you remember Pakistan initially wanted French avionics and engine for JF-17, there were also news of Vixen AESA offered for JF-17 which was not entertained mostly due to non available of funds and JF-17 is designed to accomodate western systems so it will not be a huge problem if KSA funds can get TOT of some important tech like radar and engine.

Salex Galileo already operates in Saudi Arabia.

Request Rejected

If they can fit in this radar, it will transform the jet altogether.

Vixen-1000E - AESA Radar

vixenk.jpg

Dear all members,

All above is watching dreams only. Saudia will never buy or participate in this project. Please live in reality. They will always buy US, European made weapon.
Let me tell you a true story," I asked Dr. AbdulQadeer Khan when he always use to come and stay in IHG Jeddah. sir, you are coming after every 2 months and you are getting royal protocol did you ever give them ideas to do something big? he said well, i can only say that once i told the Crown Prince that why you should make car factories here. Ask any Car company they will agree to built plant here, assemble the cars here you will have jobs plus the cars will be low prices. He replied leave it Dr. our people will not buy these cars. so dear members, they will not buy your machines except any food items. hahahah

This is the fact and truth.

You may be right.... but let's see what new King is upto!
I have great hopes for co-operation with KSA in defence field.
IMO, new King is doing great stuff... and he like self reliance, while public used to be crazy about American cars but not any more and making cars together with Americans or Japanese, inside KSA, would never make economic sense, in past.
Saudis would gain nothing out of it, now since Saudi Population is increasing, local car manufacturing is possibility but still not economic sense. Car industry is not only about manufacturing, it constantly need ot come up with new developments, new models and than you are successful in rich markets. Dr. AQKhan said some thing which may fit to Pakistan/Iran market.
However KSA excels in energy intensive industry e.g. steel, building material, dairy industry, petrochemical & petroleum.

Salex Galileo already operates in Saudi Arabia.
Request Rejected
If they can fit in this radar, it will transform the jet altogether.
Vixen-1000E - AESA Radar

KSA have money and influence to get this stuff if they can get it then Pakistan also can benefit from it.

Pakistan has been using Grifo Radars on its fighters, is Grifo E can be fitted in JF-17? if yes where it stand against Vixen 1000e and which one is better?

Selex ES targets 'affordable' AESA market with Grifo-E - IHS Jane's 360

Last edited:
i won't believe it unless there is a MOU signed, i have heard so many times Thunder being sold to one nation or another but we have not yet sold anything. I hope it goes through if not for anything establishing our credibility. If some sort of concrete evidence has been posted than please guide me to it as i haven't skimmed through all the pages here.

Not to forget that the JF-17s they will get won't be the ordinary pieces. They will be pimped up, especially for their needs.

if i recall, it was the AK with Saudi specifications that later turned into AK-1 ;)

I am awed, they have about 300 F-15 and Eurofighters, in service and on order. And yet they want more! They don't even have any concrete threat from any enemy, yet...

Get ready to be more awed dude..

Saudi reserves in dollars and gold = ~ $800 billion+

Remember, these are just "reserves"...

For a nation of just 30 million people, this is crazy.

Saudis have wealth to spend..they'll spend it...

Saudi Arabia keen to buy JF-17 Thunder fighter from Pakistan

NEW YORK: Saudi Arabia has shown interest in buying JF-17 Thunder jet fighter aircraft manufactured under Pakistan-China cooperation.

Citing a report published in US journal, Geo News reported that Saudi defence ministry and Saudi Air Force are keenly examining the JF-17 Thunder program and mulling over their participation in it.

The report claimed that Pakistan has offered Saudi Arabia for joint manufacturing of JF-17 Thunder aircraft along with technology transfer. This offer was made to the Saudi Arabia Deputy Defence Minister, Salman bin Sultan during his visit to Pakistan last week.

Saudi Arabia keen to buy JF-17 Thunder fighter from Pakistan - thenews.com.pk
Get ready to be more awed dude..

Saudi reserves in dollars and gold = ~ $800 billion+

Remember, these are just "reserves"...

For a nation of just 30 million people, this is crazy.

Saudis have wealth to spend..they'll spend it...

In foreign banks...(same like Shah of Iran , oil money in foreign bank and never came back}. Hope Suadi royals invest billions in R&D. ....

Back
Top Bottom