What's new

Saudi Arabia expresses interest in JF-17 co-production with Pakistan.

F-5's coming offline and Tornado IDS also getting retired within the next decade (putting bombing tasks on the F-15SA fleet), the JF-17 is a great lightweight fighter akin to the F-5 Tiger II (or dare I say...the F-20 Tigershark?) that can be a "workhorse" plane: covering gaps and supporting the frontline jets.

I really really hope this purchase goes through.

F-5's coming offline and Tornado IDS also getting retired within the next decade (putting bombing tasks on the F-15SA fleet), the JF-17 is a great lightweight fighter akin to the F-5 Tiger II (or dare I say...the F-20 Tigershark?) that can be a "workhorse" plane: covering gaps and supporting the frontline jets.

No I won't let you have the Jf-17 ! :mad:

Unless of course you promise to open Al-Baik outlets here in Pakistan ! :azn:

F-20 smashed F-16s in ACM.

Saudi JF-17 WILL be a different jet. It will allow you to plug, test and play any Saudi made systems, like electronics, avionics, or weapons in the future.

It will also help build your aviation industry, create skilled workforce and prepare them for a Saudi project.

F-20 smashed F-16s in ACM.

Saudi JF-17 WILL be a different jet. It will allow you to plug, test and play any Saudi made systems, like electronics, avionics, or weapons in the future.

It will also help build your aviation industry, create skilled workforce and prepare them for a Saudi project.

Indeed, hopefully Saudi Arabia can order up some AESA radars to plug into the fighters. An AESA equipped JF-17 would make an excellent low cost lightweight fighter.
No I won't let you have the Jf-17 ! :mad:

Unless of course you promise to open Al-Baik outlets here in Pakistan ! :azn:

Dude, I live in Riyadh. We don't have AL Baik either. :(

Why don't Pakistan & Saudi Arabia start working on any new stealth fighter project? Pakistan have experienced engineers & Saudi Arabia have massive resources.

Why don't Pakistan & Saudi Arabia start working on any new stealth fighter project? Pakistan have experienced engineers & Saudi Arabia have massive resources.

I think eventually that is the direction this partnership will follow but it will take time. Even Russians who are many decades ahead of us in Technology are struggling to develop a true Stealth Fighter. Europeans don't have a Stealth Fighter.

Last edited:
What KSA can do is that they can bring SAAB into the picture by having JV on their Gripen Stealth / FS-2020 with TOT by that they will have their own western standard 5th gen plane and its advance avionics could end up in JF-17s, even JF-17 could serve its systems test bed and Pakistan may have a western standard 4.5+ gen & 5th gen fighter which may be sanction free.

SAAB Group looks to Asia to develop new stealth fighter|Politics|News|WantChinaTimes.com
Saab looks to Asia to develop new stealth fighter

Typhoon is the best choice for replacing Tornado. JFT is the best choice for replacing F-5. F-15SA can form the frontline. Imagine that! :p:

F-15 is a 40 years old plane and needs a replacement on the horizon. And what better choice than J-20, which is essentially a twin engined canard F-35?

new-version-of-j-20-with-lots-of-improvement-2.jpg

Last edited:
What KSA can do is that they can bring SAAB into the picture by having JV on their Gripen Stealth / FS-2020 with TOT by that they will have their own western standard 5th gen plane and its advance avionics could end up in JF-17s, even JF-17 could serve its systems test bed and Pakistan may have a western standard 4.5+ gen & 5th gen fighter which may be sanction free.

SAAB Group looks to Asia to develop new stealth fighter|Politics|News|WantChinaTimes.com
Saab looks to Asia to develop new stealth fighter

The whole idea of KSA supporting, JFT development, is that there is no more trust in west. It's not about perception of superior tech. it's about having an equipment you can trust, of being bug free.

Perhaps you should tell us where does JFT avionics lag behind?

wishful thinking....they will never buy the JFT just like they did not buy the Al-Khalid even after signing a MoU and setting aside USD500 mill for the purchase....

We shall not consider it our birth right that KSA has always support Pakistan, while some of us are busy killing their ambassador in Pakistan, and after reading daily anti KSA BS on media, we can clearly see where lies the problem.
We should, act like sales man, if we like to sell, not protesting and cursing the buyer all over media. Bahrain's job adv. in Pakistani news papers was protested by many on this forum as well.

BTW..... I'm also aware of what is going on with Dr. Samar Mubarik Mand's research team, while we are preparing to buy Indian electricity.
Lot is happening but, it is not in media and opposition leader ImRAWn Khan is also quite, along with his team.

Saudia Arabia eye on JF17 interesting interesting... A country already have access to the world's most advance weapons and running state of the art facitlities of US Military weapons interested in JF17 ??? LOL side with latest F15E, E.Typhoon and all loaded with latest AESA Radar ... now going to invest and show interest in this JF17 peanut lol... something fishy behind this...

Yar don't write in bold text, it hurts my eyes.

They are looking for a High-lo mix and to develop their industrial potential.

Read this carefully.

Saudi Arabian interest in JF-17 Thunder, can cement the strategic defense relations with Pakistan.

Saudia Arabia eye on JF17 interesting interesting... A country already have access to the world's most advance weapons and running state of the art facitlities of US Military weapons interested in JF17 ??? LOL side with latest F15E, E.Typhoon and all loaded with latest AESA Radar ... now going to invest and show interest in this JF17 peanut lol... something fishy behind this...

With energy shifting to wind and solar, cars getting more energy efficient, ethanol on the rise, shale gas on the rise and with that liquid natural gas, Saudi Arabia cannot sit its laurels on crude oil. Already the US is about to become the biggest oil producer by next year, and that means vastly reduced oil import from Saudi Arabia. China has even more shale gas than America. Europe also has loads of shale gas. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Soon tar sands and methane hydrate are going to come into play. Saudi Arabia cannot afford to splurge huge amounts of funds on overpriced American and European hardware.

Saudi Prince: Fracking Threatens 'Any Oil-Producing Country in World' - Leah Barkoukis

U.S. to Be Top Oil Producer by 2015 on Shale, IEA Says - Bloomberg

Typhoon does not have AESA. JF-17 Block 2 I'm quite certain has AESA. JF-17 is one of the new breed of fighter jets along with F-35. It's not some cheap plane that's low on technology. :p: It would be wise for Saudi Arabia to invest in modern technologies and industries and become self sufficient.

Last edited:
Typhoon is the best choice for replacing Tornado. JFT is the best choice for replacing F-5. F-15SA can form the frontline. Imagine that! :p:

F-15 is a 40 years old plane and needs a replacement on the horizon. And what better choice than J-20, which is essentially a twin engined canard F-35?

They are not the same. F-35 is a multirole aircraft while the J-20 is a very large interceptor built for a specific purpose.

Also, I don't think the Typhoon is a good replacement for the Tornado. It's rather being used to replace the F-5 and F-15C in the air superiority role. The Tornado IDS is a twin seat ground support jet par excellence but they're getting replaced with the F-15SA.

Why not build one - together- ?

Of course. JF-17 will eventually get AESA radar (Block 3 was it?). I was just musing on the possibility of a quick buy to cover the gap till Block 3s roll off the Assembly line.

Typhoon does not have AESA. JF-17 Block 2 I'm quite certain has AESA. JF-17 is one of the new breed of fighter jets along with F-35. It's not some cheap plane that's low on technology. :p:
[/quote]

Typhoon Tranche 3 will be upgraded with CASTOR-E AESA radar. JF-17 Block 3 will have AESA.

Back
Top Bottom