What's new

Salman Rushdie Knighted

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the majority of them accept the truth of other faith. Muslims don't. That and your religiosity is increasing chances of conflict between the worlds of faith day by day.

What the hell they accept of other faith? No need to write lies. :tsk:

You only have to comprehend what he has written before deciding to make a point to me.

Understand what is written in plain English. Is that very difficult ?

Sorry. I do not see the vast majority praying five times a day announcing that their God is the only God.

Perhaps, they need to convert to Islam so they can believe, what they should.

Its appalling what I have said in a small paragraph a page back or two no one has touched it, definitely no one here would because no one has any single arguments crossing it, While I'm all for Britain keeping religious sentiments, I've always wondered where are these true believers when they were burning the book and flag when the book was released i.e. in 1989, a report precisely dwells upon a little theme of it,

Bill Carmichael: Freedom to offend

Back in 1989, when a Muslim mob was on the streets of Bradford burning copies of The Satanic Verses, I decided I had to read the book in order to see what all the fuss as about.

I can't say I was looking forward to it. I'd always regarded Salman Rushdie – or Sir Salman as we must become accustomed to call him – as a member of the self-hating liberal intelligentsia; a man who enjoyed an immensely privileged upbringing, educated at Rugby public school and Cambridge, who then moaned about his adopted country.

Friends of mine, whose judgment I trusted, told me Rushdie was a great and courageous writer, so I was prepared to give it a go. I didn't finish it. In fact, I didn't even make it to the contentious bit, so can't really comment on its literary merits.

I'm not alone. I'd bet a pound to a pinch of snuff that not one in a thousand of those burning his books almost 20 years ago – and those complaining about his knighthood today – has actually read the novel.

They are offended by something they've never read, angry because they've been told they should be.

But unlike millions around the globe we live in a free and democratic society – thank God – and Sir Salman is perfectly entitled to write what he pleases.

If you don't like it, don't read the book.

And the Queen is also perfectly entitled to confer a knighthood on whomsoever she sees fit.

On the streets of Pakistan the mobs have reacted by burning the Union flag and effigies of the Queen – a provocative act that many Britons find gratuitously offensive.

But you won't find chanting mobs on the streets of Bramhope or Beverley burning the Pakistani flag and threatening to slit the throat of the local curry shop owner. That's not the way we do things in this country, and that is why people from all over the world want to come here.

Including, apparently, the Pakistani religious affairs Minister Ijaz-ul Haq, who caused uproar this week by stating Rushdie's knighthood justified suicide bombings.

It is reported he is a regular visitor to the UK, so he should understand the British attachment to free speech.

He should also be thankful, given his idiotic remarks, that he swans about in a chauffeur-driven limousine, rather than risking riding on the buses and trains like the rest of us have to.

Verdict on the Beeb

The BBC is biased.

As a statement of the blindingly obvious that's up there along with the Pope is a Catholic and David Cameron is an insufferable toff.

But this time it's different as the verdict comes not from some Right-wing think-tank but from the Corporation itself.

An internal investigation commissioned by the BBC found an institutionalised liberal bias and a readiness to pander to the trendy single-issue politics of self-aggrandising celebrities such as Bono and Bob Geldof.

Some of us have been banging on about this for years. You only have to look at the BBC's disgracefully slanted reporting from the Middle East to release the Corporation has long abandoned objective journalism.

In response, it is often pointed out that newspapers are also politically motivated. True, but here's the crucial difference; you are not obliged to buy a newspaper. If you don't like its editorial line, you leave it on the newsstand and buy something else.

In contrast, you pay for the BBC whether you like it or not. The licence fee allows the BBC to ignore what its audience wants and to become woefully out of touch with the people it is meant to serve.

Wouldn't it be best for Britain – and the BBC – if the licence fee were abolished?

Last Updated: 22 June 2007 8:40 AM
Premium Article

To read this article in full you must have registered and have a Premium Content Subscription with this site.

Subscribe

Registered Article

To read this article in full you must registered with this site.

Sign InRegister

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/columnists?articleid=2975063

You can do better then that, Adux.

He is an Icon for dangerous opportunist.

Rahman,

It doesnt matter what he writes; cuz he has the right too. Whatever it is.
The only reason he became a Icon of Free speech and not someone like dan brown, is because muslims and Iran in particular made him so. He as a writer stood his ground for years. I believe that automatically makes him a icon of free speech.

Islam, Christainity, Hinduism, or any other religion is not above criticism or introspection

Adux ,the thing which your saying can be said for my religion as well, here the thing which is being discussed is not what he wrote is right or wrong, because I'm not the one to judge another religion I only defend and talk with fact on my religion, the issue what is being talked is the way peoples are behaving is not the right way to behave.

The shiv sena baboons did the same way in valentines day though not this way, this is absolute bull$hit it is taking your blind eye to the REAL PROBLEMS and more importantly realpolitik.

Joey,

I am not here to judge his work or judge any other religion or even mine, or look at its veracity and truth of his work. He has the right to speak his mind..no matter what
Who said Shiv Sena' buggers are any different...Unlilke India, Iran as a country launched Death fatwa on him. So there is no comparison.

Salman Rushdie is an idiot. The only way he got a little exposure is by writting this book. let us not give this low life any more exposure. if the brits want to knight him, let them god damn do it. who cares people are dieing in kashmir and in darfurs. people want to show how compationate muslims are we should stop darfur attrocities. But no we want to focus on this stupid litte bigot. the problem with the Ummah is that we concentrate on the stupid stuff. we really have our priorities mixed up.

AoA
People are also dying in our own country. Lets first do something about them.
No offence to anyone but Ummah is a farce. Every country has its own interest to worry about. People are dying in Balochistan,tribal areas. Lets resolve our own problems first and then worry about others.

Adux ,the thing which your saying can be said for my religion as well, here the thing which is being discussed is not what he wrote is right or wrong, because I'm not the one to judge another religion I only defend and talk with fact on my religion, the issue what is being talked is the way peoples are behaving is not the right way to behave.

The shiv sena baboons did the same way in valentines day though not this way, this is absolute bull$hit it is taking your blind eye to the REAL PROBLEMS and more importantly realpolitik.

Dear Joey,

I agree Shiv Sena or the others who have mis-behaved in the same manner as those who did when the book Satanic Verses was published all belong at the bottom of the well but that not withstanding if the Govt. of India gave a medal / honour to the founder of Shiv Sena in India, I assure you the Brtish Govt. would never summon the Indian High Commissioner and lodge a protest or shed false crocodile tears and that is the issue which we are discussing here.

That apart if Shiv Sena leader was a very biggoted person we would never give him a visa to come here if we thought he would spoil the peace here.

Regards

Tony blair thought he would get a reaction out of british muslims and deflect the recent prisoner releases and EU constitution talks that the british media is getting worked up about.A few muslims burning the book in britian and the media would have forgot about the issues above and put all media spotlight on muslims.
Salam rushdie has a right to say what he like but so does everyone else.The ones calling for his death are doing the same thing exercising there right of freedom of speech.
The burning of salman rushdies book in bradford was carried out by a tiny group of people no more then a few dozen but was made out as if all the muslims in britian where some how on the war path.

“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.” Soren Kierkegaard danish philosopher

Calling Death to a fellow human being is not freedom of speech,
its called inciting murder.

Salam rushdie has a right to say what he like but so does everyone else.The ones calling for his death are doing the same thing exercising there right of freedom of speech.
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.” Soren Kierkegaard danish philosopher

Dear Dabong,

Please read below yesterdays speech of the Khateeb of Lal Masjid, Maulana Abdul Aziz.
http://thenews.jang.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=8625

"Europe has made it its habit to commit acts of blasphemy. Describing the importance of Jihad, the cleric regretted that “Western democracy” has eliminated the concept of Jihad by replacing it with protest demonstrations.

He said that the major cause of humiliation of Muslims was non-observance of Jihad, recalling the times when Muslims ruled the world through Jihad and nobody had the courage to commit blasphemy and cast an evil eye on Muslim women.

The Maulana felt disillusioned that once again people throughout the world were staging protest demonstrations only against the knighting of blasphemer Salman Rushdie, while, according to him, the only solution to this issue lay in Jihad.

The cleric was agitated by the fact that today Muslims considered the Europeans as their friends whereas the Holy Qur’aan forbids Muslims to engage in close friendship with non-Muslims.

In view of such disillusioned circumstances, he requested the Ulema to announce a Jihad against Britain and expressed his firm belief that the youth would stand up once again to curb obscenity and injustice.

He said obscenity was on the rise in the name of cultural programmes both in Pakistan and abroad. He asked the government to expel the British high commissioner and snap relations with Britain unless they withdraw the knighthood conferred on the blasphemer."

My point

As long as people like Maulana Abdul Aziz exist there will always be people like Sir Salman Rushdie or vice versa. They are both two sides of the same coin which is of no use to humanity as spending it only brings misery to the comman people.

The only solution is ignore both of them and tackle more important problems like poverty, medical aid, hunger etc.

Regards

Ps : Incase the Pakistan Govt. gave him a Nishane Haider medal I doubt if the British Govt would object though I could be wrong.

I just want to know that is Pakistan the only Muslim nation left in the World as there is no strong word from any other Muslim country.
If the Muslim Nation unite , It can make them feel in Hell by making this decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom