What's new

Salman Rushdie Knighted

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is not that,
Maybe he had his problems with Islam, so what..thats his view. If nobody likes it dont read it.
Like Dan Brown, actually told Jesus is not a god..christians worship jesus as god..He basically told the Bible is a lie....did we see fatwa's on Dan...
Rushdie or Dan Brown, every man has his right to tell. If you dont like it dont read it.
I see Muslims on a daily basis riducluing my gods and the way i seek god,I dont see fatwa's on those..
I admire Rushdie for the fact he stood his ground against Theocracy who decided to kill for his views on their religion.

Rushdie said:
What is needed is a move beyond tradition, nothing less than a reform movement to bring the core concepts of Islam into the modern age, a Muslim Reformation to combat not only the jihadist ideologues but also the dusty, stifling seminaries of the traditionalists, throwing open the windows to let in much-needed fresh air. (...) It is high time, for starters, that Muslims were able to study the revelation of their religion as an event inside history, not supernaturally above it. (...) Broad-mindedness is related to tolerance; open-mindedness is the sibling of peace.

Any guy wanting to kill him is a lunatic no less.

If somebody can be killed and a state - no less, can order him to be killed by any Muslim for writing something against religion......tomorrow you chaps can gang up to kill me because I go to a temple.

I fully endorse Salman's Knighthood - until the followers of the religion of peace ganged up on Iran and had the fatwa withdrawn.

Withdraw the fatwa.

The biggest comedy is the fact that he has been trying to reform their religion and get rid of the book thumping idiots. That was the only way we could avert what they call the Islam versus the world conflict.

Look at the number of killings and bans and punishments.

How can a non-Muslim ever not support Salman Rushdie ?

* September 26, 1988: The novel is published in the UK.
* October 5, 1988: India bans the novel's importation.
* November 21, 1988: Grand sheik of Egypt's Al-Azhar calls on Islamic organizations in Britain to take legal action to prevent the novel's distribution
* November 24, 1988: The novel is banned in South Africa and Pakistan; bans follow within weeks in Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Somalia, Bangladesh, Sudan, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Qatar.
* December 1988-January 1989: British Muslims hold book burnings in Bolton and Bradford; Islamic Defense Council demands that Penguin Books apologise, withdraw the novel, destroy any extant copies, and never reprint it.
* February 12, 1989: Six people are killed and 100 injured during anti-Rushdie protests in Islamabad, Pakistan.
* February 13, 1989: One person is killed and 60 injured in anti-Rushdie riots in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India[citation needed].
* February 14, 1989: Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini of Iran issues a fatwa calling on all Muslims to execute all those involved in the publication of the novel; the 15 Khordad Foundation, an Iranian religious foundation or bonyad, offers a monetary reward for the murder of Rushdie.
* February 16, 1989: Rushdie enters the protection programme of the British government and issues a statement regretting the offence the novel has caused; Khomeini responds by reiterating: "It is incumbent on every Muslim to employ everything he has, his life and his wealth, to send [Rushdie] to hell."
* February 17, 1989: Iranian leader Ali Khamenei says Rushdie could be pardoned if he apologises.[4]
* February 18, 1989: Rushdie apologizes just as Khamenei has suggested; initially, Irna (the official Iranian news agency) says Rushdie's statement "is generally seen as sufficient enough to warrant his pardon".[5]
* February 22, 1989: The novel is published in the U.S.A.; major bookstore chains Barnes and Noble and Waldenbooks, under threat, remove the novel from one-third of the nation's bookstores.
* February 24, 1989: Iranian businessman offers a $3 million bounty for the death of Rushdie.
* February 24, 1989: Twelve people die in anti-Rushdie rioting in Bombay, Maharashtra, India[citation needed].
* February 28, 1989: Two bookstores in Berkeley, USA, are firebombed for selling the novel.
* March 7, 1989: Britain breaks diplomatic relations with Iran.
* March 1989: The Organization of the Islamic Conference calls on its 46 member governments to prohibit the novel. The Revolutionary Government of Zanzibar sets the punishment for possession of the book as three years in prison and a fine of $2,500; in Malaysia, three years in prison and a fine of $7,400; in Indonesia, a month in prison or a fine. The only nation with a predominantly Muslim population where the novel remains legal is Turkey. Several nations with large Muslim minorities, including Papua New Guinea, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Tanzania, Liberia, and Sierra Leone, also impose penalties for possessing the novel.
* May 1989: Popular musician Yusuf Islam (formerly known as Cat Stevens) gives indirect support for the fatwa and states during a British television documentary, according to the New York Times, that if Rushdie shows up at his door, he "might ring somebody who might do more damage to him than he would like... I'd try to phone the Ayatollah Khomeini and tell him exactly where this man is." Yusuf Islam later denies giving any support to the fatwa.[6] For more on this topic see Cat Stevens: Rushdie Controversy
* June 3, 1989: Khomeini dies.
* 1990: Rushdie apologised to Muslims and even formally re-converted to Islam,[7] but recanted a short time later describing it as the "biggest mistake of my life" in an interview he gave to Anne McElvoy of The Times published on August 26, 1995.
* 1990: Rushdie publishes an essay on Khomeini's death, "In Good Faith", to appease his critics and issues an apology in which he seems to reaffirm his respect for Islam; however, Iranian clerics do not retract the fatwa.
* 1990: Five bombings target bookstores in England.
* July 1991: Hitoshi Igarashi, the novel's Japanese translator, is stabbed to death; and Ettore Capriolo, its Italian translator, is seriously wounded.
* July 2, 1993: Thirty-seven Turkish intellectuals and locals participating in the Pir Sultan Abdal Literary Festival, die when their hotel in Sivas, Turkey, namely the Madimak Hotel, is burnt down by 2000 members of various anti-democratic, pro-sharia radical Islamist groups protesting against Aziz Nesin, Rushdie's Turkish translator.
* October 1993: The novel's Norwegian publisher, William Nygaard, is shot and seriously injured.
* 1993: The 15 Khordad Foundation in Iran raises the reward for Rushdie's murder to $300,000.
* 1997: The bounty is doubled, to $600,000.
* 1998: Iranian government publicly declares that it will not carry out the death sentence against Rushdie.

This is announced as part of a wider agreement to normalise relations between Iran and the United Kingdom. Rushdie subsequently declares that he will stop living in hiding, and that he regrets attempts to appease his critics by making statements to the effect that he is a practicing Muslim. Rushdie affirms that he is not, in fact, religious. Despite the death of Khomeini and the Iranian government's official declaration, the fatwa remains in force, according to certain members of the Islamic fundamentalist media:

"The responsibility for carrying out the fatwa was not the exclusive responsibility of Iran. It is the religious duty of all Muslims – those who have the ability or the means – to carry it out. It does not require any reward. In fact, those who carry out this edict in hopes of a monetary reward are acting against Islamic injunctions."[citation needed]

* 1999: An Iranian foundation places a $2.8 million bounty on Rushdie's life.
* January 2002: South Africa lifts its ban on the Satanic Verses ."[8]
* February 16, 2003: Iran's Revolutionary Guards reiterate the call for the assassination of Rushdie. As reported by the Sunday Herald, "Ayatollah Hassan Saneii, head of the semi-official Khordad Foundation that has placed a $2.8 million bounty on Rushdie's head, was quoted by the Jomhuri Islami newspaper as saying that his foundation would now pay $3 million to anyone who kills Rushdie."[9]
* March 2004: 16 years after the first English edition Hungarian translation is published, translator's name not specified for security reasons.
* Early 2005: Khomeini's fatwa against Rushdie is reaffirmed by Iran's spiritual leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, in a message to Muslim pilgrims making the annual pilgrimage to Mecca. Iran has rejected requests to withdraw the fatwa on the basis that only the person who issued it may withdraw it.
* February 14, 2006: Iran’s official state news agency reports on the anniversary of the decree that the government-run Martyrs Foundation has announced, "The fatwa by Imam Khomeini in regard to the apostate Salman Rushdie will be in effect forever", and that one of Iran’s state bonyad, or foundations, has offered a $2.8 million bounty on his life.[3]
* June 15, 2007: Rushdie receives knighthood for services to literature sparking an outcry from Islamic groups.

The biggest comedy is the fact that he has been trying to reform their religion and get rid of the book thumping idiots. That was the only way we could avert what they call the Islam versus the world conflict.

Look at the number of killings and bans and punishments.

How can a non-Muslim ever not support Salman Rushdie ?

lol, you knw whats the funny thing, someone who admitted he has no knwledge abt Islam coming here and talking abt reform in Islam. a person who doesnt have knowledge abt the Quran and he says that he agrees with rushdie is nothing else but an idiot. and talking abt reforms..lol..there are alot of things which needs "reform" in your own religion, better worry abt that first....

lol, you knw whats the funny thing, someone who admitted he has no knwledge abt Islam coming here and talking abt reform in Islam.

Its not like I should not wish for a person to be cured of cancer unless I studied medicine.

a person who doesnt have knowledge abt the Quran and he says that he agrees with rushdie is nothing else but an idiot

Show me where I said I agree with Salman?

there are alot of things which needs "reform" in your own religion, better worry abt that first....

I'm not an idiot to be associated with any religion, Sir. I'm a little self-respecting. I don't need a religion to assauge my fears.

lol, you knw whats the funny thing, someone who admitted he has no knwledge abt Islam coming here and talking abt reform in Islam. a person who doesnt have knowledge abt the Quran and he says that he agrees with rushdie is nothing else but an idiot. and talking abt reforms..lol..there are alot of things which needs "reform" in your own religion, better worry abt that first....

And how do you define ayothalla's action. He openly asked for Rushdie's blood. Cant imagine the catholic Pop or a Hindu/Sikh Guru asking for such a similar thing.

Did u see the Pop asking the catholics to kill Dan brown for his novel?

Dont act as if they are in the primitive time.

February 14, 1989: Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini of Iran issues a fatwa calling on all Muslims to execute all those involved in the publication of the novel; the 15 Khordad Foundation, an Iranian religious foundation or bonyad, offers a monetary reward for the murder of Rushdie.
* February 16, 1989: Rushdie enters the protection programme of the British government and issues a statement regretting the offence the novel has caused; Khomeini responds by reiterating: "It is incumbent on every Muslim to employ everything he has, his life and his wealth, to send [Rushdie] to hell."

Salman Rushdie has done little towards english literature but this knighthood seems to be a reward for his anti muslim bull$hit. That too just days before Blair is about to leave office. Secondly just a few weeks ago he issued a statement urging muslims and other communities in Uk to live with harmony and peace. Do such actions promote peace.

This Bush-Blair duo have sown seeds of hatred everywhere. Remember Bush's comments like Crusades, Ordered by God to invade Iraq and then fascists.

Dear Lahori,

Then why are not the British, Euro, American Muslims where the Knighthood means something not protesting ? I can understand the common Pakistani protesting as common people in most countries are putty in their leaders hands but what is the reason for the Pakistan or Iranian Govt. jumping in for ?

The common Muslim couldn't careless what a knighthood or Salam Rushdie was until some politicians decided jump in and inflame them.

Your statement that Blair - Bush have sown seeds of hatred everywhere is very misconceived. Yes maybe in Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan but except for Pakistan shedding some crocodile tears no one in the Muslim world for eg. Indonesia, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, India (it has the second largest Muslim population in the world) etc havent even bothered to comment on Rushdie’s knighthood.

Finally even if we agree that Bush and Blair are bad what about the near psychotic reaction of the Minister for Religion for Pakistan. He says proudly on TV that this knighthood will lead to suicide BOMBINGS. I am time and again told by my Muslim friends that Islam is a peaceful religion and that suicide bombing is not permitted. Even Gen Musharaf says so.

So why is no one condemning the Minister of Religion of Pakistan ? You don’t see the British Govt. summoning him and telling him to stop meddling in UK affairs ?

Lastly the procedure for giving awards is well laid down and not held hostage to the whims and fancy of single Bush or Blair which is more that what can be said of most countries.

Regards

No one agrees or dis-agrees with Rushdie here, it is immaterial, I'll be neutral because it'll spread positiveness on one side negativeness on the other which I dont want in a argument.

A simple assertion is what I'll make, If Britain has hurt the sensitiveness of Muslims by giving him knighthood, fine Britain should keep the sensitiveness intact and could have done otherwise,but but but where were these fellow Muslims protesting when a fatwa of killing him was pronounced after the book was released, is that 'proper', 'educated' manner to behave? Isnt not-protesting against the fatwa by the same Muslim world is turning a blind eye to the issues inside them or they justified the fatwa of a international death threat and that too from governments even when the book got released? forget what happened now!

Indulge me for another rant. Off-topic, not really.

If Muslims don't want their sentiments to be hurt then they should be prepared to act in a manner that does not hurt the sentiments of others.

How many Muslims respect other religions out of sheer goodness or genuine respect based on what they have read about in other religions? I can perceive a very condescending attitude towards other religions in a majority of Muslims I come across.

How many Muslims dont indulge in debates to prove the superiority of their religion ?

With that kind of a 'I'm better than ya' attitude based on sheer faith sans facts the world is going to see a lot of trouble in the coming decades.

I personally harbour no hope for reform.

Dear Always Neutral :P LOL

Dear Lahori,

Then why are not the British, Euro, American Muslims where the Knighthood means something not protesting ? I can understand the common Pakistani protesting as common people in most countries are putty in their leaders hands but what is the reason for the Pakistan or Iranian Govt. jumping in for ?

Same reason why western leaders will go half around the world interfear with other countries affiars

The common Muslim couldn't careless what a knighthood or Salam Rushdie was until some politicians decided jump in and inflame them.

MAybe its because Muslim could be seen as extremist if they ever utter anything. Remeber back 2006 about the Danish Cartoons \
how amny cought CCTV and was arrested in the March.
THe common muslim find insulting and are pondering on the fact that Insulting Islam is freedom of speech where as insulting other things that the west stand for is gross misconduct like saying that the Pope Benedict XVI rapes little boys or discrediting the Queen on national telly as one Msuilm comedien did (Way before 9/11) and waas threaten by his life by
western, civiliized, law abiding non-muslims.

Your statement that Blair - Bush have sown seeds of hatred everywhere is very misconceived.

HEllooooooooooo IRAQ ! China spyplane incident , Middleeast !

but going further :
Maybe they know what the ans going to be so theyt didn't bother but someone had to with all the rubbish that happen back in 2006.

And quite rightly so for Pakistan If the west can make threats and bomb another nation because of a govts policy Ie Vietnam on commi or China being commi state or Iran become a Islamic state so on... I think a little words from Pakistan can't do no harm so GET OVER IT :rolleyes:

Poor England got their EGO dented by words from Pakistan !! LMAO :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Finally even if we agree that Bush and Blair are bad what about the near psychotic reaction of the Minister for Religion for Pakistan. He says proudly on TV that this knighthood will lead to suicide BOMBINGS. I am time and again told by my Muslim friends that Islam is a peaceful religion and that suicide bombing is not permitted. Even Gen Musharaf says so.

Maybe the Religous Minister was reffering to extremists and radicalist will use this excuse to susice bombings in England or elseware in the west and wonders why the west constanly put oil in the fire

no ?

But I wanted to know what has exactly been said by the Minister cus that concern me more espically if he is the religous minister and i'm suspisious that it had to be a Religious minister as if to say that Islam supports suicide bombing and killing innocent for revenge attacks

ANyone from Pakistan got his actual words Webby, Baazi A.Rahman, anyone in pakistan ?

thats what i wanted to know what been said what did the minister say thats what dragged me in here .
So why is no one condemning the Minister of Religion of Pakistan ? You don’t see the British Govt. summoning him and telling him to stop meddling in UK affairs ?

They DID ! Watch the NEWS Channel 4 news, Newsnight, BBC world service all showed PMS
told PAkistan noit medding in thier affir . ! as for the Bombing Lord Ahmed was disgusted by his commenmts and the Minister in Question retracted his statement which can't say much about our westen MP or senates who will causes killing and turture around the world just for money.

But i will admit one thing Salmans did show the West true colours when it comes to Islam - what they really think about Muslims and Islam as a whole.

Regards A

Indulge me for another rant. Off-topic, not really.

If Muslims don't want their sentiments to be hurt then they should be prepared to act in a manner that does not hurt the sentiments of others.

How many Muslims respect other religions out of sheer goodness or genuine respect based on what they have read about in other religions? I can perceive a very condescending attitude towards other religions in a majority of Muslims I come across.

How many Muslims dont indulge in debates to prove the superiority of their religion ?

With that kind of a 'I'm better than ya' attitude based on sheer faith sans facts the world is going to see a lot of trouble in the coming decades.

I personally harbour no hope for reform.

Just because a few Extremist had got your attention don;t go around and paint us all muslim with same brush

I certainly don't go around saying that and I aint no few, Just because one is a muslim doenst mean he/she goes around religon bashing, suciding bombing or killing, have no tolerent of others believe.

Your anaylist, generalising all muslim as extremist can be related as all westerners are racist
all Hindus drink cow p*ss
all Blacks are criminals
all Punjabis are rapists

/these are all simply wrong and are just simple hate words. Samudra its not nice to generalised and these are not freedom of speech just freedom of hatred to one another.

.. and thats not what Ghandi or Mohammid (PBUH) tought us.

the world won't be seeing trouble from those who belive 'I'm better than ya' attitude based on sheer faith cus they are so few or havent got the power to do anything so whats the worry ?

I guess its nothing, at the end just cuss them as they cuss you but remember most muslims won't attack you like a typical extremist/radicalist would.

Aresenel,

I think you should stop living in England, the crusader lands

all westerners are racist
all Hindus drink cow p*ss
all Blacks are criminals
all Punjabis are rapists

/.

1. Pakistani's and PDF especially says that. Is it true No, Did Moraji Desai Do it ,Yes.
2. All Blacks are criminals, Maybe in America and UK they have that mentality
3. Pakistani's sentiment,

PS: Gandhi is not our god, was he a great man and i respect him for his contributions, which i can never even dream of matching; do I believe in his crap of non-violence. Nopes.
I rather blast them to obivilion

Just because a few Extremist had got your attention don;t go around and paint us all muslim with same brush

Show me the number of Muslims who believe their religion is not the best in this forum. Show me the number of Muslims who believe their religion is not the only truth. It's a mindset indoctrinated from the time when you chaps were kids. It's hard to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom