What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

The decision to formally reject or accept the FC-31. According to allegedly credible rumors, both the PLAAF and PLAN have rejected the FC-31.

Credible rumours? Don't tell me that guy by the name of pupu is credible.

He has never been "credible".

As a matter of fact, he is as credible as my 7-year old nephew. :azn::lol:

Credible rumours? Don't tell me that guy by the name of pupu is credible.

He has never been "credible".

As a matter of fact, he is as credible as my 7-year old nephew. :azn::lol:

He is close to the PLAAF, so that adds to his credence, whether or not some people believe what he has claimed.

Are there any rumors/claims that disagree with what he said regarding the FC-31?

Latest rumors suggest that the FC-31 has been rejected by both the PLAAF and the PLAN.

I'm not certain as to what will become of the FC-31 project at this point, but here are a couple of eventualities:
1. The improved variant will fly, be flight-tested as per the original plan, and be pushed for export. This will, of course, be completely-self funded and hence would not be done to the same pace as other "big-ticket" military projects.
2. The entire project will be suspended until additional interest is shown, either domestically or internationally, much akin to the MiG-35. The resources would either be allocated to other projects within the same company or to the J-20 project.

wait and see:-)

Maybe FC-31 too 'early' to become potential CBG fighter. But rejected or not, I think it doesn't matter, probably next design of PLA CBG fighter will gain technical experience from both FC-31 and J-15.

J20 is not in the same league as J31 they are of much different there is not way people would choose J20 for J31 role or other way around. Air superiority or ground attack is what J20 is suppose to excel at and those things are not something J31 can excel in.

As far as J31 is concern I feel its development was started much later than the J20

Latest rumors suggest that the FC-31 has been rejected by both the PLAAF and the PLAN.

I'm not certain as to what will become of the FC-31 project at this point, but here are a couple of eventualities:
1. The improved variant will fly, be flight-tested as per the original plan, and be pushed for export. This will, of course, be completely-self funded and hence would not be done to the same pace as other "big-ticket" military projects.
2. The entire project will be suspended until additional interest is shown, either domestically or internationally, much akin to the MiG-35. The resources would either be allocated to other projects within the same company or to the J-20 project.[/QUOT

2. The entire project will be suspended until additional interest is shown, either domestically or internationally, much akin to the MiG-35. The resources would either be allocated to other projects within the same company or to the J-20 project.

i think that Chengdu is developing lightweight and single engine variant for PLAN, that why it is rejected by PLAAF and PLAN, just my opinon:angel:

i think that Chengdu is developing lightweight and single engine variant of J-20 for PLAN, that why it is rejected by PLAAF and PLAN, just my opinion:angel:

What is the FC-31 inferiority that make both PLAN and PLAAF reject it? Low payload? Not enough stealth? Short reach? Not enough maneuverability? High cost? Or just because it look like the F-35?

If it's truly failed to get the attention from the PLAN and PLAAF, then let's drop the project.

I think that FC-31 should be developed into a Carrier Based Aircraft, rather than compete the J-20 in mission capability. Look at the J-15. It's too big for a CBA. They need a smaller craft that give more advantage to their Carrier Battle Group. With the FC-31 smaller size, the Navy can pack more jets in Liaoning, give the CBG a 5th generation capable fighter, and remove the disadvantage that the J-15 has right now.

Remember, right now China doesn't has a catapult capable AC. And Liaoning and her new born sister has only 50.000 - 60.000 tonnage size. They can build a bigger AC, comparable to the American Nimitz Class size. But even with that, FC-31 still have better future than the current J-15.

Of course, they'll need new engine. Maybe give the fighter AL-31 rather than the RD-93 one; and they'll need to increase the payload, range, etc. But the point is, FC-31 has more potential as Carrier Based Aircraft than the current J-15.

Plus, FC-31 developer, SAC, has the experience to build a CBA with their J-15. So what make them discourage to develop this fighter to that mission capable aircraft?

If you have one Good and Successful Project (Chengdu J-20), It's better to Focus your money and resource to that project.
And like we see, (Chengdu J-20 Project) is in a Good shape and very successful until this day.

BTW, If you compare J-20 and FC-31.
J-20 is Superior in every aspect (from Payload, Fuel Capacity, Maneuverability, Combat range, Avionics, and many others)

But, like other members said, Wait and see :-)
We cannot have Conclusion based on Rumors.

About China's Future Aircraft Carrier.
In the next years (Type 002, Type 003 Aircraft Carrier)
Will get Bigger Tonnage ( at least 75,000-80,000 Tonnes) and also Catapult (Steam or EMALS).

So, if PLAN choose J-20H Naval Variant. It's indeed a very Good choice.
Chengdu J-20 size is almost same like F-14 Tomcat in America.
And with Catapult Launching Mechanism, it's not a problem to launch Chengdu J-20 from their Future Aircraft Carrier.

If you have one Good and Successful Project (Chengdu J-20), It's better to Focus your money and resource to that project.
And like we see, (Chengdu J-20 Project) is in a Good shape and very successful until this day.

BTW, If you compare J-20 and FC-31.
J-20 is Superior in every aspect (from Payload, Fuel Capacity, Maneuverability, Combat range, Avionics, and many others)

But, like other members said, Wait and see :-)
We cannot have Conclusion based on Rumors.

About China's Future Aircraft Carrier.
In the next years (Type 002, Type 003 Aircraft Carrier)
Will get Bigger Tonnage ( at least 75,000-80,000 Tonnes) and also Catapult (Steam or EMALS).

So, if PLAN choose J-20H Naval Variant. It's indeed a very Good choice.
Chengdu J-20 size is almost same like F-14 Tomcat in America.
And with Catapult Launching Mechanism, it's not a problem to launch Chengdu J-20 from their Future Aircraft Carrier.

Indeed, but regardless all merits the J-20 has, both play simply in quite different leagues and here surely also in terms of cost. So the J-20 is a high-end, heavy-weight while the FC-31 clearly a level below - at least in weight and range/weapons-load.

It surely might be that for now the PLAAF / PLANAF decided to replace the majority of older types like the many J-7s and J-8s by a mix of J-10B/Cs and J-16s and will go for a "only" J-20-stealthy fleet for the next years to come, anyway I don't think they will last for long. The day will come also to complement the J-20 with a lower-end stealthy design and IMO a type at least similar to the F-35 or exactly the FC-31 would be ideal.

Some might argue this then will be already a 6-generation type, but IMO I would be careful again. This recent hype about a Chinese 6. generation designs soon to be finished are more a wet-dream than reality esp. in the short to mid term. So again IMO a medium weight stealthy design about the size of the FC-31 is still more than required.

Another argument might also be that a twin-engine design with two medium-thrust engines is the better option than the single engine high-thrust F-35-design ... and the WS-13 seems close to be ready and the WS-17 also already on the horizon.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Deino

The same is IMO for the PLANAF: a possible naval J-20 might replace the J-15, but also here a second smaller & lighter type is necessary ..

Indeed, but regardless all merits the J-20 has, both play simply in quite different leagues and here surely also in terms of cost. So the J-20 is a high-end, heavy-weight while the FC-31 clearly a level below - at least in weight and range/weapons-load.

It surely might be that for now the PLAAF / PLANAF decided to replace the majority of older types like the many J-7s and J-8s by a mix of J-10B/Cs and J-16s and will go for a "only" J-20-stealthy fleet for the next years to come, anyway I don't think they will last for long. The day will come also to complement the J-20 with a lower-end stealthy design and IMO a type at least similar to the F-35 or exactly the FC-31 would be ideal.

Some might argue this then will be already a 6-generation type, but IMO I would be careful again. This recent hype about a Chinese 6. generation designs soon to be finished are more a wet-dream than reality esp. in the short to mid term. So again IMO a medium weight stealthy design about the size of the FC-31 is still more than required.

Another argument might also be that a twin-engine design with two medium-thrust engines is the better option than the single engine high-thrust F-35-design ... and the WS-13 seems close to be ready and the WS-17 also already on the horizon.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Deino

The same is IMO for the PLANAF: a possible naval J-20 might replace the J-15, but also here a second smaller & lighter type is necessary ..

Sorry, not my Intention to compare J-20 with FC-31.

But, yes. like you said.
China's need a lower-End 5th Gen Fighter (FC-31), to replace hundreds of J-7/J-8 and J-10A in the Next years.

That's why I am very Doubt with that Rumour, that PLAAF and PLAN had been rejected FC-31.
Because they need FC-31 or any other 5th Gen Fighter in the same class of FC-31.

We need to Wait and See for this FC-31 Project.
this year, already tested 'Chinese Military Enthusiast' Patience
Especially for Air Force watchers.

I need to go to nearest Clinic to buy 'Patience' Lol :D

Back
Top Bottom