What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

In a very short term vision, as what I explained in my article, only Turkey and Iran could potentially affort, and also expressed the need, to get something like FC-31.

I heard that Pakistan had refused the offer, and I would say this is a very wise decision.

Henri K.

In a very short term vision, as what I explained in my article, only Turkey and Iran could potentially affort, and also expressed the need, to get something like FC-31.

I heard that Pakistan had refused the offer, and I would say this is a very wise decision.

Henri K.

Saudi Arabia and Bangladesh are potential users as well. Iran has decided to go for Sukhoi Su-30s.

He also stated clearly that the FC-31 was not meant for the Chinese military.

The following is what was said during the press conference

China is the only country after the US that is developing two versions of stealth fighter aircrafts J-20 and J-31, both going extremely smoothly.

The J-20 is for home use only while the J-31 will be marketed internationally.

173109ga1t15ha517hakdt.jpg

Does "marketed internationally" preclude use by the PLAAF and/or the PLANAF?

A cost-conscious China isn't likely to produce more than 300 J-20s.

China certainly need far more than 300 stealth fighter jets.

Last edited:

China is the only country after the US that is developing two versions of stealth fighter aircrafts J-20 and J-31, both going extremely smoothly.

The existing argument against the FC-31's use in the PLAAF is its weight class, which is not reflected by any other fighter. The PLANAF has demonstrated that it prefers heavier J-15-class aircraft, likely due to their improved endurance. Moreover, the use of 4+ generation fighters effectively mitigates the cost issue.

j 31can only suceed if inducted in plaaf , othwise i dont expect exports

j 31can only suceed if inducted in plaaf , othwise i dont expect exports
What?....what?

Where on earth did you get that idea from? By the time the FC-31 is ready, the only other 5th gen ready for exports would be the F-35. Nations would have little to no choice but to choose between one or the other, and the F-35 already has limits on whom it can be sold to.

What?....what?

Where on earth did you get that idea from? By the time the FC-31 is ready, the only other 5th gen ready for exports would be the F-35. Nations would have little to no choice but to choose between one or the other, and the F-35 already has limits on whom it can be sold to.

The conundrum is that those who have the budget for 5th-gen fighters will choose the F-35, whilst those without wouldn't be able to afford the FC-31 anyways.

This is akin to the export deadlock the JF-17 is facing.

What?....what?

half bake yes, but which nation is going to buy a fighter which noone has inducted before...
noone wants to be first customer..now, if Chinese or Pakistanis inducted in numbers 1st than of course it would be a sucess

these days nations are reducing their militery budgets and airforces, very few nations outside JF-35 or arab countries will ever buy a fifth gen aircarft

half bake yes, but which nation is going to buy a fighter which noone has inducted before...
noone wants to be first customer..now, if Chinese or Pakistanis inducted in numbers 1st than of course it would be a sucess

these days nations are reducing their militery budgets and airforces, very few nations outside JF-35 or arab countries will ever buy a fifth gen aircarft
That seems like unsubstantiated speculation.

The conundrum is that those who have the budget for 5th-gen fighters will choose the F-35, whilst those without wouldn't be able to afford the FC-31 anyways.

This is akin to the export deadlock the JF-17 is facing.
That's not necessarily true, as a number of nations, whom can afford such a thing, would simply be blocked from buying the F-35 (geopolitics).

The Arabs are unlikely to buy the F-35, not because they don't want to, but rather the US has guaranteed Israeli military superiority in the region, meaning that the the Israelis getting the F-35 equals to the Arab world being delayed in getting it.

That's not necessarily true, as a number of nations, whom can afford such a thing, would simply be blocked from buying the F-35 (geopolitics).

I'm dubious that this rule would hold steadfast once the Chinese begin aggressively promoting their FC-31 to these countries. The entire T-LORAMIDS fiasco demonstrates that the US is willing to enact drastic measures to prevent their major allies from relying on an opponent's equipment. Any negative repercussion resulting from selling the F-35 to these "blacklisted" nations doesn't hold a candle to the political and strategic fallout of having an enemy's arms infiltrate allies.

The Arabs are unlikely to buy the F-35, not because they don't want to, but rather the US has guaranteed Israeli military superiority in the region, meaning that the the Israelis getting the F-35 equals to the Arab world being delayed in getting it.

There is nothing preventing Lockheed/Boeing from building an Arab-specific F-35 that circumvents whatever concerns the DoD harbors about F-35 sales to Arab states. Additionally, the US will likely overturn the export regulations once they perceive the FC-31 as a credible threat, market-wise.

I'm dubious that this rule would hold steadfast once the Chinese begin aggressively promoting their FC-31 to these countries. The entire T-LORAMIDS fiasco demonstrates that the US is willing to enact drastic measures to prevent their major allies from relying on an opponent's equipment. Any negative repercussion resulting from selling the F-35 to these "blacklisted" nations doesn't hold a candle to the political and strategic fallout of having an enemy's arms infiltrate allies.

There is nothing preventing Lockheed/Boeing from building an Arab-specific F-35 that circumvents whatever concerns the DoD harbors about F-35 sales to Arab states. Additionally, the US will likely overturn the export regulations once they perceive the FC-31 as a credible threat, market-wise.
Good point, but I'd argue that such efforts will take a lot long after the FC-31 is available for export.

For the Arabs, the "Arab specific F-35" would be a watered down version, unable to compete with the Israeli F-35s; if China can offer a fully capable fighter, that isn't watered down, and can effectively challenge the F-35, it has a much higher chance of export success.

if China can offer a fully capable fighter, that isn't watered down, and can effectively challenge the F-35, it has a much higher chance of export success.

Perhaps, but the Chinese might not be eagerly willing to export such "full-scale" technologies to a close US ally.

Back
Top Bottom