What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

Ok, who's gonna take and share pics of FC-31 2.0 now that it has gone out of the factory gate :D

135219nbio24i4tfgokbeu.png

Ok, who's gonna take and share pics of FC-31 2.0 now that it has gone out of the factory gate :D

I think shenyang try to make this bird on time for zuhai 2016 airshow to get firm orders for this.

The only possible it will not appear for zuhai airshow will be it gets order from PLAN or PLANAF.

To admit, I'm no longer sure if this strange transport was V2 but even more that it was in fact only V1 being on its way back to SAC.

It simply does not make any sense to bring V2 back to SAC after any structural testings ....

To admit, I'm no longer sure if this strange transport was V2 but even more that it was in fact only V1 being on its way back to SAC.

It simply does not make any sense to bring V2 back to SAC after any structural testings ....

The latest rumour is that V2 is on its way to Xi'an onboard the transporter that brought back V1.

Latest rumors suggest that the FC-31 has been rejected by both the PLAAF and the PLAN.

I'm not certain as to what will become of the FC-31 project at this point, but here are a couple of eventualities:
1. The improved variant will fly, be flight-tested as per the original plan, and be pushed for export. This will, of course, be completely-self funded and hence would not be done to the same pace as other "big-ticket" military projects.
2. The entire project will be suspended until additional interest is shown, either domestically or internationally, much akin to the MiG-35. The resources would either be allocated to other projects within the same company or to the J-20 project.

Even if its not accepted in its current form there is a change that Pakistan might accept it or give it further funding akin to what it did with the FC-1

Possibly, but the extent to which Pakistan's budget allows for the induction (and funding) of the FC-31 is another question. The Chinese have been pushing the FC-31 to the PAF for years now, and the lack of any progress seems to suggest that Pakistan is more reluctant to induct the project than initially presumed.

Latest rumors suggest that the FC-31 has been rejected by both the PLAAF and the PLAN.

I'm not certain as to what will become of the FC-31 project at this point, but here are a couple of eventualities:
1. The improved variant will fly, be flight-tested as per the original plan, and be pushed for export. This will, of course, be completely-self funded and hence would not be done to the same pace as other "big-ticket" military projects.
2. The entire project will be suspended until additional interest is shown, either domestically or internationally, much akin to the MiG-35. The resources would either be allocated to other projects within the same company or to the J-20 project.

What is the FC-31 inferiority that make both PLAN and PLAAF reject it? Low payload? Not enough stealth? Short reach? Not enough maneuverability? High cost? Or just because it look like the F-35?

If it's truly failed to get the attention from the PLAN and PLAAF, then let's drop the project.

I think that FC-31 should be developed into a Carrier Based Aircraft, rather than compete the J-20 in mission capability. Look at the J-15. It's too big for a CBA. They need a smaller craft that give more advantage to their Carrier Battle Group. With the FC-31 smaller size, the Navy can pack more jets in Liaoning, give the CBG a 5th generation capable fighter, and remove the disadvantage that the J-15 has right now.

Remember, right now China doesn't has a catapult capable AC. And Liaoning and her new born sister has only 50.000 - 60.000 tonnage size. They can build a bigger AC, comparable to the American Nimitz Class size. But even with that, FC-31 still have better future than the current J-15.

Of course, they'll need new engine. Maybe give the fighter AL-31 rather than the RD-93 one; and they'll need to increase the payload, range, etc. But the point is, FC-31 has more potential as Carrier Based Aircraft than the current J-15.

Plus, FC-31 developer, SAC, has the experience to build a CBA with their J-15. So what make them discourage to develop this fighter to that mission capable aircraft?

Last edited:
What is the FC-31 inferiority that make both PLAN and PLAAF reject it? Low payload? Not enough stealth? Short reach? Not enough maneuverability? High cost? Or just because it look like the F-35?

If it's truly failed to get the attention from the PLAN and PLAAF, then let's drop the project.

I think that FC-31 should be developed into a Carrier Based Aircraft, rather than compete the J-20 in mission capability. Look at the J-15. It's too big for a CBA. They need a smaller craft that give more advantage to their Carrier Battle Group. With the FC-31 smaller size, the Navy can pack more jets in Liaoning, give the CBG a 5th generation capable fighter, and remove the disadvantage that the J-15 has right now.

Remember, right now China doesn't has a catapult capable AC. And Liaoning and her new born sister has only 50.000 - 60.000 tonnage size. They can build a bigger AC, comparable to the American Nimitz Class size. But even with that, FC-31 still have better future than the current J-15.

Of course, they'll need new engine. Maybe give the fighter AL-31 rather than the RD-93 one; and they'll need to increase the payload, range, etc. But the point is, FC-31 has more potential as Carrier Based Aircraft than the current J-15.

Plus, FC-31 developer, SAC, has the experience to build a CBA with their J-15. So what make them discourage to develop this fighter to that mission capable aircraft?
I think shall be lack of range and maneuver compare to J-20

It has last chance in several months

What final decision? :angel:

The decision to formally reject or accept the FC-31. According to allegedly credible rumors, both the PLAAF and PLAN have rejected the FC-31.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom