What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

Hmm ??? There are reports about the FC-31.V2 being back to Shenyang ...????

J-31 FC-31 no. 02 - 4.7.16 back to SAC - 1.jpg
J-31 FC-31 no. 02 - 4.7.16 back to SAC - 2.jpg

I guess nobody got a picture when it was on the way out. Only after the test was done, it afforded a bit of showoff.

It certainly looks that way.

As a matter of fact, the 1st pic appeared was also taken on the way back.

Hence the initial confusion as to why the convoy was heading west to east. :D:D

Size comparison 01, 02 to F-22
Dj7Z5e5.jpg

mceMNcl.jpg

Actually I don't think that estimating the size of an aircraft from very much distorted images is helpful and even if the overall length of V1 might be correct, the size of V2 - even with slightly longer tails - will surely not reach the overall size of the F-22. The Raptor is a massive beast ... and the FC-31 simply a medium-size fighter ...

Indeed said to be back at Shenyang ...

J-31 FC-31 no. 02 - 4.7.16 back to SAC - 3.jpg
J-31 FC-31 no. 02 - 4.7.16 back to SAC - 4.jpg
J-31 FC-31 no. 02 - 4.7.16 back to SAC - 5.jpg

This latest news might make many people disappointed if the returned static airframe turn up to be 1.0 instead of 2.0.

Just take a ponder, how could static tests for the assumed 2.0 airframe be completed and returned back to manufacturer so soon? Also think of the absence of sighting of retuned 1.0 air frame prior to this one?

This latest news might make many people disappointed if the returned static airframe turn up to be 1.0 instead of 2.0.

Just take a ponder, how could static tests for the assumed 2.0 airframe be completed and returned back to manufacturer so soon? Also think of the absence of sighting of retuned 1.0 air frame prior to this one?

The FC-31 v1.0 had just completed a flight with a pair of WS-13E turbofans. There is no way it could have been disassembled and transported in such short time.

The FC-31 v1.0 had just completed a flight with a pair of WS-13E turbofans. There is no way it could have been disassembled and transported in such short time.
I was talking about 1.0 static test air frame, the one which is not flight capable.

Think; why would they test the v1.0 static airframe after the flying prototype has flown and the project has been shifted to the v2.0?

I was suggesting that they never bring back the 1.0 static test frame until now. I never said that they tested the 1.0 static air frame a second round which is practically meaningless. After static tests, the airframe is practically in near destructive condition, you can't have a second round of test on this air frame.

Give you an example, after a drop test has been carried out, what do you think the condition of the structure will be? A drop test could be done by dropping the airframe free fall from 10 metres and hit the concrete ground hundreds of times.

Also there is a possibility that there was never a 2.0 static airframe as at this moment, there is no visual proof.

Last edited:
I was talking about 1.0 static test air frame, the one which is not flight capable.

Think; why would they test the v1.0 static airframe after the flying prototype has flown and the project has been shifted to the v2.0?

I don't think they tested it after the flying prototype; which is still tested !

A reason could be that indeed structural testing of V1 has been completed and now they transport it back to SAC where it will become a museum's exhibit or where it will be mounted on a pile similar to the J-10-prototypes as some sort of gate-guard now with the project has shifted to V2.

Then however the question remains: where is V2 ??

Deino

I was suggesting that they never bring back the 1.0 static test frame until now. I never said that they tested the 1.0 static air frame a second round which is practically meaningless. After static tests, the airframe is practically in near destructive condition, you can't have a second round of test on this air frame.

Give you an example, after a drop test has been carried out, what do you think the condition of the structure will be? A drop test could be done by dropping the airframe free fall from 10 metres and hit the concrete ground hundreds of times.

Also there is a possibility that there was never a 2.0 static airframe as at this moment, there is no visual proof.

Fair point; there is a possibility of that. However, the structural integrity of the wrapped object looks good.

I don't think they tested it after the flying prototype; which is still tested !

A reason could be that indeed structural testing of V1 has been completed and now they transport it back to SAC where it will become a museum's exhibit or where it will be mounted on a pile similar to the J-10-prototypes as some sort of gate-guard now with the project has shifted to V2.

Then however the question remains: where is V2 ??

Deino

The V2 was allegedly spotted by observers. There is still a possibility of the new prototype popping out of nowhere and the "wrapped" object being unrelated to it (J-11D's prototype did not get photographed until its first flight).

New rumors suggest that maiden flight might occur in September/October.

Back
Top Bottom