What's new

Russia Claims to Build an Aircraft Carrier for Indian Navy

I thought india should use the money to build schools, fund civilian projects. An aircraft carrier is the last thing a developing nations needs.

Who is this idiot reporter to create the heading as the Russian claims to build -- Rubbish.

Indian Navy had issued the proposal for various OEMs to help them in design and building of the Aircraft carrier. When we say carrier, there are different parts such as propulsion, Deck, EMALs etc.

I was just about to say U.S isn't going supply EMALS to India if this is true.

Russia also has no experience in CATOBAR as well :rofl:

I thought india should use the money to build schools, fund civilian projects. An aircraft carrier is the last thing a developing nations needs.

Source: Russia Claims to Build an Aircraft Carrier for Indian Navy | Page 2
Well, if you have grantee or live in nice neighbourhood, that would be right thing. But reality is, India has border with China, whom fights its wars through Pakistan, whom fights its wars through Islamic fundamentalist.
So schools, hospitals are great, and India has the best in the in the region but you have to protect what you have or you could loose everything.

I was just about to say U.S isn't going supply EMALS to India if this is true.

Russia also has no experience in CATOBAR as well :rofl:

India will probably use Russian Arresting Gears in the AC.

ag_3.jpg

scheme_arresting%20gear.jpg

main-qimg-cb18896fedc11f26ab5c1977195dc534

STOBAR is not CATOBAR it is inferior in performance.

this is why India wants EMALS.

I never said it is. You are talking about Take off, I am talking about Recovery.

If anything you should have spoken about recovery Net that Russia does not have. US has provide the French with Recovery assistance and net.

I never said it is. You are talking about Take off, I am talking about Recovery.

If anything you should have spoken about recovery Net that Russia does not have. US has provide the French with Recovery assistance and net.

wait so you are saying India will use the arresting gear from Russia but use a U.S launch system :what:

unless you mean India future carriers won't use EMALS or CATOBAR and just use the same layout as the Vikrant, but Vishal most certainly will be CATOBAR

wait so you are saying India will use the arresting gear from Russia but use a U.S launch system :what:

unless you mean India future carriers won't use EMALS or CATOBAR and just use the same layout as the Vikrant, but Vishal most certainly will be CATOBAR

I don't see why not. Both systems are independent of each other.

Don't you think we should spend at least 2% of our GDP on defence which was 1.74-1.79% in last 4-5 years & about 2 billion left unspent & returned in 2015-16..?
BTW last year Govt of Rajasthan started a program to merge schools & close hundreds of schools because there was too many schools.

Don't you think we should spend at least 2% of our GDP on defence which was 1.74-1.79% in last 4-5 years & about 2 billion left unspent & returned in 2015-16..?
BTW last year Govt of Rajasthan started a program to merge schools & close hundreds of schools because there was too many schools.

Its your country and none of my business. I just think India has other problems than needing carriers.

Its your country and none of my business. I just think India has other problems than needing carriers.
Yes, we have problems but that doesn't we shouldn't have enough for our defence & I think if we spend 2% of our GDP on defence than that wouldn't be too much...

Yes, we have problems but that doesn't we shouldn't have enough for our defence & I think if we spend 2% of our GDP on defence than that wouldn't be too much...

Who do you see as threat for needing an aircraft carrier? Which can be destroyed within seconds anyways?

Who do you see as threat for needing an aircraft carrier? Which can be destroyed within seconds anyways?

Source: Russia Claims to Build an Aircraft Carrier for Indian Navy | Page 2
If IN didn't go for carriers, than the Surface combatant ships would require a lot more air defence ships with longer range SAMs etc.. A carrier is force multiplier and very useful for navies. 1 carrier is cheaper than half dozen destroyers hence why those with out carriers USSR PLAN have massive number of surface combatants. So whats cheaper in the long run?
And Indias threat perception is Pakistan. Pakistan has/had infiltrated the Military juntas of BD Sri Lanka and was likely the cause of the coup attempt in Maldives. IOR has piracy issues as well not to mention all the unsavoury drug trafficking.
Blue economy exists and IOR is just getting busier and more dangerous, not less.
The good news is that MOD keeps the budget realistic. less that 2 % of GDP and under 15% of actual annual budget, which is actually shrinking.
To give you an example. 3 wars with Pakistan since independence.
1999 kargil incident.
2001 standoff.
Unstable Pakistan next door with Islamic militants/sympathizers whom have infiltrated Pakistan military ie attempted hijacking PNS frigate and BD military which led to 2001 border clash.
South Asia is hot zone. India is pretty much the only stable country.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom