What's new

Replacement for Rheinmetall MG3

There is a Polish MG and there is a South African MG which are great candidates to replace the MG3
yes very true. I will still urge that someone proceed to improve the egronomic of Mg3; it still remains a very very potent weapon even today.

For decades Pakistan Armed forces are using the Rheinmetall MG3 as their Primary Mounted Machine Gun, its been used in all branch of Armed forces along with Paramilitary forces like FC ( KPK / Baluchistan ) and Rangers ( Sindh/Punjab ) . But I wonder if PA has any plans to replace them with any other better or more modern Machine guns ? ? what could be other possible Options which PA can acquire and locally produce .. will be it a huge burden on our Defense Budget like replacing the main Assault rifle ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinmetall_MG_3

Some of the pics taken in Ideas 2016 ..

@Oscar @Horus @balixd @Inception-06 @Gryphon @Path-Finder @Zarvan @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @HRK @Game.Invade @django @tps77 @Hell hound @war&peace @Maarkhoor @Signalian
I wouldn't mind picking up the Denel DMG-5 under license at POF.

DMG-5_7-62mm_machine_gun_Denel_Land_Systems_AAD_2016_defense_exhibition_South_Africa_001.jpg

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/09/20/denel-land-systems-dmg-5-showcased-aad/

But I wonder if PA has any plans to replace them with any other better or more modern Machine guns ? ? what could be other possible Options which PA can acquire and locally produce .. will be it a huge burden on our Defense Budget like replacing the main Assault rifle ?

I haven't heard about any plans to replace the MG3, which is a fine weapon even today. There was some chatter about Minimi, but those were for SFs.

I would rather like the H&K MP5 replaced in PA by a 5.56 NATO assault rifle adopted for CQB.

I asked my father and all he said was,
3000 m indirect fire range, 1200 RPM ( by the way all our forces are trained in the machine gun doctrine of short burst firing suppression ) and cheap to produce then the army will change,
I may be wrong but what I think is more needed is is a Squad Automatic Weapon akin to the minimi or a heavily modernized RPD in the 7.62×39 or grendall, this would be a lighter short length,
This could be used for the roles or suppression, should have easy to change barrel so a longer barrel can be used when mobility can be sacrificed to sustain rapid fire for extend periods of time,
If this is done then the MG3 can be used as a GPMG where it will be used for area fire superiority and suppression, while the proposed SAW will be used by squads in attaining section level fire superiority,

7.62 is much better than 5.56

Probably lighter as well ..

Indeed.... its earlier pre-decessor is what many of our units are using. It has been a surprising good export item as well. Very easy to handle though cycle rate is tad bit lower than MG3 which stands out well and both 5.56/7.62 rounds easily handled.

what is standard rate of fire of this Gun ? and how it performed in mounted Position ?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom