What's new

Religion first or your country

Religion first or your country

• Country

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • Religion

Votes: 47 58.0%

• Total voters
Just wanted to take opinion of PDF members because in the video... Pakistani people are saying religion comes first and indian the country

I also vote for country

Please do keep in mind the question of prioritizing between the two is simply invalid. One is a set of personal beliefs, and the other is a geographical construct. That is like asking what comes first, potatoes, or the color blue?

Unlike Pakistan which is open about its religious identity, India is only "secular" on the surface but if you scratch it then you find out that the Hindus, Muslims, and even the Christians put their religion over their country. For most Hindus in India, India and Hindu are one and the same.

I firmly believe that it is all about your bases. Example - I never bound to go temple by my family.

My family only asked about my education. And our education system does not teach about religious things.

From childhood, school teach us about the unity. You study, play or eat... No one get anything specific benefits. They teach us that everyone is equal.

This could be major part, because I feel more for the country than my religion..

I firmly believe that it is all about your bases. Example - I never bound to go temple by my family.

My family only asked about my education. And our education system does not teach about religious things.

From childhood, school teach us about the unity. You study, play or eat... No one get anything specific benefits. They teach us that everyone is equal.

This could be major part, because I feel more for the country than my religion..
You are an educated and fluent English speaker who lives in an upper class urban environment, so you are an outlier and do not represent or speak for most people in your country. And not every damn thing in life is learned from a school, people pick up ideals and beliefs from what they hear from their parents, friends, media, religious teachers, etc. If the idea of India was "unity" like you claim then people wouldn't vote in political parties based on religion and religious extremist organisations wouldn't have widespread following and influence in the country. Pakistan never had to pretend to be secular or put on a facade of tolerance and unity.

The question is kinda invalid. Can't compare two totally different things.

But anyways, for me country comes first. The reason is below:

The world is shaped with governing bodies and defined borders, the militaries are designed to protect those borders and governments are designed to rule over only that specific area. If we do not regard the value of country then we will not survive for long.

As far as religion is concerned, its my personal belief. I will answer my own deeds in my own grave. No one will answer that for me.

I think most of my countrymen will say religion first. That's okay but we should look at from this perspective, even if religion comes first and you care more for Ummah then for your own country, even then the best way to serve the ummah is to make your own country strong. As its majority muslim country. Your country becoming strong means, ummah becoming strong - not the other way around.
I think this also largely depends on how you interpret the question.

But if you interpret this as if you had to choose one thing: keep Islam alive/remain a Muslim OR keep Pakistan alive? Many would choose Islam/staying a Muslim because they see that belief as supreme

But to me we exist as both and they are intertwined, a Pakistani Muslim - I can't imagine Pakistan without the Islamic influence

I can definitely feel a guilty inclination to say Islam as one feels they shouldn't prioritise anything else over it, but of course how could you not love the thing which gives you freedom, the ability to decide your own destiny and shape your own society?

It is a mark of your people on this planet in a sense.

Very true , our schools emphasise on secular education .

But if you interpret this as if you had to choose one thing: keep Islam alive/remain a Muslim or keep Pakistan alive? Many would choose Islam/staying a Muslim because they see that are supreme

Bro, I think these are our assumptions. We will never get a choice like that ever. Even if a situation comes which asks do you want to keep Islam alive, I would love my country even more and make it even more stronger then I normally should. Knowing that a majority muslim country being strong will help Ummah as well. If we really have to think that way then we should answer the question in the same way as well. We can't disregard country. Our identity is our country.

They still are Muslims, Bangladesh is a Muslim state just as partition intended, hell we had to kill millions of Hindus in order to ensure that
are you irani or bharati? no one killed any hindu in East Pakistan during partition in 47 though some were killed in 71 most of whom were indian infilterators

They still are Muslims, Bangladesh is a Muslim state
try being a molvi in BD and if you are not hung or crushed by the head for being pro pakistan, come back and post here

Very true , our schools emphasise on secular education .
What use is the education system if most kids are taught hatred from birth by their parents, elders, or media channels? what kids are taught in schools dont permanently stick or have as much of an influence on them as ideals reinforced by people they hold dear to them (parents, friends, etc.) or state propaganda. When hatred or discrimination in a society is cultural, no amount of secular education can change things.

Bro, I think these are our assumptions. We will never get a choice like that ever. Even if a situation comes which asks do you want to keep Islam alive, I would love my country even more and make it even more stronger then I normally should. Knowing that a majority muslim country being strong will help Ummah as well. If we really have to think that way then we should answer the question in the same way as well. We can't disregard country. Our identity is our country.
Yes, it's a largely unrealistic question just to gauge how religious society is. I value both Pakistan and Islam. To me they are both equal in their own sense.

Making Pakistan strong to me is akin to making our people strong and not allowing ourselves to be subdued or pressured by foreign influence. Live how we want to live. And a strong Pakistan naturally means Muslims being strong as we are a majority Muslim nation.

I hate the idea of pan-Islamism, helping the "ummah" unconditionally is a stupid concept. Having a mutually beneficial relationship with mutual respect is how all relations work - with Muslims or non-Muslims. I'm not going to spend time and resources helping a nation just due to their religion if they cannot do the same for us or are unwilling to. That's called being a slave.

To me the value I see in Islam is a societal level and how it strengthens our community, promotes good morals and values, encourages us to protect our beliefs, values, morals from neo-colonialism. I'm not in it for some grandeur pan-Islamist idea. My loyalty to any entity is to Pakistan. That's what I want to see as powerful, influential and formidable force.

There are thousands and thousands of them in BD
B'deshis are a lot, lot more relgious in thier daily life than most Pakistanis - that's something I have noticed in diaspora and I was lk surprised

Pakistanis are big on religious identity, will be the first in line if they feel Islam is in danger, will fight for it

but when it comes to practicing it in their daily lives except for not drinking or pork it takes a back seat, a bunch of time culture overshadows religious values

Along with B'deshis I'd add Gujrati Muslims too

We are a tribal, clannish society unlike Gujrati or Bangladeshi Muslims, culture, relgion intermixes a lot, and cultural values are sometimes more powerful than relgious one's

What use is the education system if most kids are taught hatred from birth by their parents, elders, or media channels? what kids are taught in schools dont permanently stick or have as much of an influence on them as ideals reinforced by people they hold dear to them (parents, friends, etc.) or state propaganda. When hatred or discrimination in a society is cultural, no amount of secular education can change things.

Have you considered how many educational facilities and study aids are used in India before quoting?

There are rare incidents that happened and immediately got highlighted by someone.

However, if you genuinely consider India from first grade to graduation. Religious topics are not included anywhere in our textbooks.

Back
Top Bottom