What's new

rahul gandhi oppose ordinance

National Interest: His Moral Highness

Shekhar Gupta

After hitting the prime minister's office, Rahul cannot afford to run.

What does September 27, 2013 have in common with January 20, 1987? And why should we call it a most stunning example of history repeating itself? Except, while it triggered the decline of the father in spite of his unprecedented majority, it has pretty much finished whatever remained of the prestige and authority of what the son described as "my government" in this afternoon's remarkable political turning point, designed for televised flourish.

Rahul Gandhi, in short, had discovered his A.P. Venkateswaran moment. That pre-internet, pre-news TV moment needs some recalling for a nation so innocent, nearly half a billion of its people are younger than Google. At a press conference at Vigyan Bhawan, a Pakistani journalist said to Rajiv Gandhi that there was some contradiction in his statement and his foreign secretary's (Venkateswaran) about when he was likely to visit Islamabad. Rajiv Gandhi said, quite nonchalantly in fact, "Soon, you will be talking to a new foreign secretary." Venkat, widely respected and utterly a proper establishment man, was taken by surprise. Unwilling to take that public humiliation, he resigned the same afternoon. He did this even though he was merely 56, had been in the top job for just about nine months, and had plenty of service left.

This Friday afternoon's drama played out at the Press Club of India, just about a kilometre up the same Lutyen's avenue, in pretty much the same manner. The only difference being, Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi had fired his foreign secretary, which he had every right to do, particularly when there were differences between them. This was a firing several ranks downwards and there was no likelihood of the then External Affairs Minister N.D. Tiwari (he of the more recent sex tapes and paternity test fame) or his MoS, K. Natwar Singh, complaining that they had been passed over in the decision. The only questionable thing was that he did this in public, at a press conference and, not to miss the foreign hand, in answer to a Pakistani journalist.

Rahul Gandhi, as the party's vice president, has delivered a similar blow (we are not calling it a sacking as yet as we do not know what next week has in store) several ranks upwards, at least in the constitutional scheme of things, to his own party's prime minister. It is up to the prime minister now to decide whether he wants to close this loop of history by following Venkat's brave example. Or, stoop to carry on as a "loyal soldier", thereby furthering the sycophantic tradition of his party.

His admirers would wish that he chose the former. Even if, given where he is right now — in Washington, meeting Obama on Friday and Nawaz Sharif on Sunday — he is denied the freedom that Venkat had of exiting the same afternoon, he should do so immediately on his return. It would be heartbreaking for all those who admire him for his dignity, integrity and intellect — whatever the criticism of his lack of articulation or decisiveness — if he chose to simply carry on. He is not even a Gowda, or Gujral or Chandra Shekhar (although, having known him well, I doubt if the last named would have put up with this). What is more important, if he carries on, he would not merely demean himself personally, but also destroy whatever respect and authority still survives with the office of the prime minister. The prime minister's oath of office also has an implicit responsibility to protect the preeminent decision-making authority and dignity of that office. And it is so difficult to see how Manmohan Singh would be persuaded to go down in history as somebody who so damaged it.

He also knows better than all of us that what happened now was no isolated incident. This process of pitting his government against the party, of undermining him and his office, began just as UPA 2 was sworn in. His first foreign policy initiative, the Sharm el-Sheikh joint statement with his Pakistani counterpart, was vetoed in public by his own party. He resiled in his first public humiliation by his own party (filling in quite nicely the role the Left played in UPA 1). Several party "loyalists" in his cabinet took the cue immediately, and blocked projects and decisions in areas ranging from environment, agricultural research, mining, tribal affairs, industry and so on, ruining his stellar record on economic reform and growth. All this led to the current economic and monetary crisis, while the man supposedly in charge, and the one Angela Merkel often describes as the only leader who really understands the global economic crisis, watched helplessly from the sidelines. It's time now he said to all of them, enough. You win. Find yourselves another prime minister, or advance the polls.

And what about Rahul Gandhi? The best thing is that he has finally spoken out, taken a stand on something. So far, he has promised to be tribal ka sipahi on one day, and kisan's or commuter's or migratory labourer's or Dalits' on other days at random, leading to unkind comments like, if he is indeed a soldier, he must be a soldier of the parachute regiment. He is also right in principle on this one. The way this law was being pushed through the ordinance route was immoral, unconstitutional and unsustainable. So it was necessary to cut your losses. But was this the right way of doing so?

This bill — even ordinance — has been under discussion at several cabinet and party and multi-party forums, and in Parliament, for quite some time now. Rahul had every opportunity through these months to intervene forcefully. It is difficult to imagine how his "dissent" would not have prevailed. But even if he was resisted, or vetoed, he had every right to go out and upbraid "my government" in public. But the time to do that was not now. Not when the cabinet has cleared the ordinance, senior ministers and your personal loyalists are defending it in public and, most importantly, when the prime minister is overseas and set for two key mini-summits. And politically, to do this 48 hours before Narendra Modi's public meeting in Delhi? Was it meant to be some kind of belated birthday gift to your rival?

The die is now cast. And for once, Rahul has chosen to do so. So it is, in a manner of speaking, progress. He should now follow this by taking over responsibility. He should either move into the prime minister's chair for the remaining months of this term, or get this government dissolved and advance general elections to November, along with the five state assemblies. A leader at his level cannot do a hit-and-run. And in any case, the rules of engagement have now been redefined. If his coalition were to win, and another lesser mortal appointed prime minister, he and the rest of us citizens will also have to be mindful of the precedent already set: that he and his cabinet could be similarly flogged in public by a higher power within the party, the Constitution notwithstanding. India cannot survive another term under a Prime Minister Lite. So it is imperative that Rahul now unequivocally declare himself as the party's candidate for prime minister in the next election, and give the voters a clear choice. Or, who knows, this will end up as another likely Congress story, with one side expressing qualified regrets and the other, unqualified gratitude, so status quo prevails, even if the status of each is greatly diminished.

National Interest: His Moral Highness - Indian Express

Agree with all points except for Rahul baba taking over the role of candidate for PM. There would be no greater insult to a common Indian, who works hard, has very little handed to him and slogs to make a place for himself in the world. To be ruled over by a witless wonder who parachutes in thanks to his khandaan despite showing no qualification as of yet for the top-job will kill any pride this nation has. Had this man set a precedent, shown that he has what it takes and is the right choice, gained the position he has today on merit despite being born into the Gandhi family, one would applaud him but alas that is not the case.

Are you trying to start a fight ? if you came here for a fight then i will leave you to your opinions , is it impossible to have a proper debate with anyone on this forum ? its allways comes to brownie points.. :sick:

so am i crazy, is Tsherring crazy ? what is the point of calling us crazy ?

read your opinions below and tell me is that criticism or some lame attempt to score brownie points..
where did i disrespect anyone else's opinion...please quote my post...besides you are the one who brought Modi into this entire debate..Calling Modi supporters crazy and laughing at them when they justify their support for Modi isn't the brightest example of respecting others opinion.. Practice what you preach :blah:

I openly challenge you to quote any Modi supporter who claimed Modi is supreme and can do no wrong...even if you do get one or two they are in their minority...

Point being what ? that we are as crazy as the people who support congress...i think not

Let it go man. Never said all Modi supporters are crazy. I said that "there are many"....Don't fly off your handle. I made my point & in your very long response above, you probably made whatever point you wanted to. Time to move on.

Agree with all points except for Rahul baba taking over the role of candidate for PM. There would be no greater insult to a common Indian, who works hard, has very little handed to him and slogs to make a place for himself in the world. To be ruled over by a witless wonder who parachutes in thanks to his khandaan despite showing no qualification as of yet for the top-job will kill any pride this nation has. Had this man set a precedent, shown that he has what it takes and is the right choice, gained the position he has today on merit despite being born into the Gandhi family, one would applaud him but alas that is not the case.

I understand Shekhar Gupta's point. Time for Rahul Gandhi to put up or shut up. The "outsider" act has gone on for too long . Chidambaram or Antony will not really be much different in terms of RG pretending to be the lone ranger when he wants. All the praise, none of the criticism. Time for him to walk the talk. Or shut up.

All political parties including BJP supports convicted lawmakers except Trinamool Congress & a communist party.
BJP leaders & Rahul Gandhi trying to fool public.

Rahul Gandhi most probably did not even realize he was insulting the prime minister ....

All political parties including BJP supports convicted lawmakers except Trinamool Congress & a communist party.
BJP leaders & Rahul Gandhi trying to fool public.

I agree with Congress & BJP, but Trinamool and CPI also have criminal representation.

Rahul Gandhi most probably did not even realize he was insulting the prime minister ....

He knew exactly what he was doing. Bhakt Charan Das(Apt name :lol:) is already calling him the leader of the masses, and that Rahul Gandhi only said what the masses wanted him to say.

He knew exactly what he was doing. Bhakt Charan Das(Apt name :lol:) is already calling him the leader of the masses, and that Rahul Gandhi only said what the masses wanted him to say.

I wonder what if tommorow rahul baba say oh this nuke deal is nonsense it should be torn up and thrown out then what happen

And if baba said what masses are saying then people of india rite now don't want to see our PM meet navaz .. Y dont he tell manmohan to come back ?

I agree with Congress & BJP, but Trinamool and CPI also have criminal representation.

But they formly oppose this ordinance & welcomes SC verdict but other parties didn't

A national party bound to have some bad apples ? Politics u can't remain all saint ;)

If this logic applies then Congress is much better than BJP & represents all of India.

I wonder what if tommorow rahul baba say oh this nuke deal is nonsense it should be torn up and thrown out then what happen

And if baba said what masses are saying then people of india rite now don't want to see our PM meet navaz .. Y dont he tell manmohan to come back ?
well it started quite a while ago and the first instalment was when deu to US pressure saudies started sending most wanted terrorists like badkal, tunda among others to indian shores to boost the reputaion of ther stooges(sonia & co)and then came this ordinence it was made to be doomed at the last moment and the script was already rehersed quite a few times now there is a ttalk about this INDO-US coopration in defence industries soon we might even get a few more high value targets as niether USA nor saudia need them anymore and both are ready to sacrifice the interests of there easterwhile ally for the protection of UPA govt led by sonia ji

so bhaiya ji the fact of the matter is its all topi drama and almost all the players in the game know the script even the opponents onli a miracle can turn the tide for pappu now and i have a strong feeling that something on sidelines of prakash jhas rajneiti and chowdhary charn singhs janta govt episode might come owt lets see

Bhakt Charan Das

That is Epic :omghaha:

I heard Rahul baba's press statement yesterday and have no doubt in my mind, how well rehearsed the whole show was.
Who needs Ekta Kapoor when we have such talent in our political system.

Rahul Gandhi's stand shows he's fit to be the future prime minister - Analysis - DNA

This+is+becoming+a+thing+_d21a76743e261702c4799a24b3262930.jpg

sold out media :yay:

who will lead the way after Sonia ? she clearly is not capable(in terms of health) to lead the party for too long ... Priyanka Gandhi ?

That's what everyone thought after Rajiv Gandhi's death. Moment party started disintegrating they somehow upgraded Sonia Gandhi... & hence the unity is back. There is nothing that Sonia has done out of ordinary to keep the party stable or bring it back to power. All they need to do is put some Gandhi at the helm... & start singing around that Gandhi. Everything else will fall in line due to that age old loyal constituency, which can not see anything beyond the name 'Gandhi'.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom