What's new

rahul gandhi oppose ordinance

My mother told me words I used were wrong: Rahul Gandhi

AHMEDABAD: Rahul Gandhi on Thursday conceded the words he had chosen to trash the ordinance on convicted lawmakers might have been wrong but not his sentiment.

"My mother (Congress president Sonia Gandhi) told me the words I used were wrong. In hindsight, may be the words I used were strong but the sentiment was not wrong. I am young....," the Congress vice president told reporters.

Rahul, whose open denunciation and mounting public opinion against the ordinance and the related bill, forced the government to repeal the ordinance, also said he had the right to voice his opinion and claimed a "large part" of Congress party wanted the ordinance withdrawn.

"I have the right to voice my opinion. A large part of the Congress party wanted it," he said defending his action.

"Why am I being penalized for raising my voice on something that was wrong? Was I wrong?", Rahul said, apparently hinting at opposition BJP, besides some UPA allies, including Sharad Pawar's NCP and Farooq Abdullah's National Conference which had reportedly criticized the events that led to the reversal of the cabinet's decision.

"My point is detrimental to our allies," Rahul said when suggested RJD chief Lalu Prasad, jailed in a fodder scam case, would be the most unhappy person after what the Congress vice president did to thwart the ordinance.

Mulayam Singh Yadav's Samajwadi Party, which is supporting the UPA government from outside, had openly criticized rescinding of the ordinance.

Main opposition BJP has been most vocal and even demanded the resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, saying Rahul's outburst against the ordinance, which he had called "nonsense" and should be "torn up and thrown away", had undermined his authority.
"I spoke my mind on the issue, it is amazing to see reactions to it. I am flabbergasted," he said.

Facing rising public anger and bowing to Congress leader Rahul Gandhi's wishes, the Union Cabinet on Wednesday took barely 20 minutes to junk the contentious ordinance protecting convicted lawmakers from immediate disqualification.

The Cabinet not just scrapped the ordinance but also decided to withdraw the bill, currently before a parliamentary standing committee, that aims to negate the Supreme Court's July 10 ruling that convicted MPs, MLAs and MLCs shall be immediately unseated.

The course reversal happened within minutes, seeming as if it was a different cast of characters who cleared the ordinance for promulgation on September 9.

The Congress vice-president sensationally shot down the government's questionable bid to shield convicted lawmakers on Friday when he strode into a press interaction to denounce the ordinance as "nonsense" and suggest that it be "torn up and thrown away".

Rahul's intervention, aimed at reversing an unpopular decision, was intended to buffer the government from a public backlash the leader felt was building up against the government at a time when Congress faced a stiff electoral test in four major states.

My mother told me words I used were wrong: Rahul Gandhi - The Times of India

I have a feeling that the whole episode was pre-planned to raise his profile.

What raise profile? He's only shown what people were wary of; unilateral Nehruvian tendencies, without a least bit of responsibility.

My mother told me words I used were wrong: Rahul Gandhi

AHMEDABAD: Rahul Gandhi on Thursday conceded the words he had chosen to trash the ordinance on convicted lawmakers might have been wrong but not his sentiment.

"My mother (Congress president Sonia Gandhi) told me the words I used were wrong. In hindsight, may be the words I used were strong but the sentiment was not wrong. I am young....," the Congress vice president told reporters.

Rahul, whose open denunciation and mounting public opinion against the ordinance and the related bill, forced the government to repeal the ordinance, also said he had the right to voice his opinion and claimed a "large part" of Congress party wanted the ordinance withdrawn.

"I have the right to voice my opinion. A large part of the Congress party wanted it," he said defending his action.

"Why am I being penalized for raising my voice on something that was wrong? Was I wrong?", Rahul said, apparently hinting at opposition BJP, besides some UPA allies, including Sharad Pawar's NCP and Farooq Abdullah's National Conference which had reportedly criticized the events that led to the reversal of the cabinet's decision.

"My point is detrimental to our allies," Rahul said when suggested RJD chief Lalu Prasad, jailed in a fodder scam case, would be the most unhappy person after what the Congress vice president did to thwart the ordinance.

Mulayam Singh Yadav's Samajwadi Party, which is supporting the UPA government from outside, had openly criticized rescinding of the ordinance.

Main opposition BJP has been most vocal and even demanded the resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, saying Rahul's outburst against the ordinance, which he had called "nonsense" and should be "torn up and thrown away", had undermined his authority.
"I spoke my mind on the issue, it is amazing to see reactions to it. I am flabbergasted," he said.

Facing rising public anger and bowing to Congress leader Rahul Gandhi's wishes, the Union Cabinet on Wednesday took barely 20 minutes to junk the contentious ordinance protecting convicted lawmakers from immediate disqualification.

The Cabinet not just scrapped the ordinance but also decided to withdraw the bill, currently before a parliamentary standing committee, that aims to negate the Supreme Court's July 10 ruling that convicted MPs, MLAs and MLCs shall be immediately unseated.

The course reversal happened within minutes, seeming as if it was a different cast of characters who cleared the ordinance for promulgation on September 9.

The Congress vice-president sensationally shot down the government's questionable bid to shield convicted lawmakers on Friday when he strode into a press interaction to denounce the ordinance as "nonsense" and suggest that it be "torn up and thrown away".

Rahul's intervention, aimed at reversing an unpopular decision, was intended to buffer the government from a public backlash the leader felt was building up against the government at a time when Congress faced a stiff electoral test in four major states.

My mother told me words I used were wrong: Rahul Gandhi - The Times of India

Yes Rahul baba, you did earn some brownie points there.. Have to give you that :)

However, what confuses me is that the VP, you, of the party in the center kept his silence. I mean look at Manmohan Singh, his name has been changed so many times that any twisted name starting with M and having Singh attached is automatically attributed to him, he commands/begs respect from the opposition to no avail but you had to do that too :D

I have no qualms on the drama that played out on this Ordinance as long as these vile bills are 'torn to pieces'. I would however watch out if the protagonist really has the stuff or this is just a guise to earn some points.. The ball is in your court :P

What raise profile? He's only shown what people were wary of; unilateral Nehruvian tendencies, without a least bit of responsibility.

If people were indeed wary of that then Congress wouldn't be ruling India for as long as they have been, so that's not true. This is a pre planned step to project him as a leader.

If people were indeed wary of that then Congress wouldn't be ruling India for as long as they have been, so that's not true. This is a pre planned step to project him as a leader.

And who buy that story ? U ?

Quite right. But badly scripted though! Like I stated on another thread... it's like one of those hindi movies where fake goons try to molest a girl & suddenly hero appears from nowhere to save her! This was pretty much like that...

Quite right. But badly scripted though! Like I stated on another thread... it's like one of those hindi movies where fake goons try to molest a girl & suddenly hero appears from nowhere to save her! This was pretty much like that...
Chetan Bhagat has said that Rahul criticizing the ordinance is like a chef coming out of the kitchen and saying the food is bad

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom