What's new

Punjabi Culture in the subcontinent and beyond….

Look you have started this thread but it seems like you are unaware of any typical traditions or aspects that are limited only to punjab, OK I tell you when I grew as a child in central punjab we used to play very punjabi specific children sports even in the cities like
i moved out of pakistan when i was 7 so my knowledge is very limited, i started this thread to learn more not to teach lol.
Baandar killa
played it all the time lol, i had long arms so i was always good at it.
Bantay (many genres of this sport like nishana, ek vich sarey, goli pilla, nakka pur)
played 2 versions of this game ( i forgot one of the names but one is called "keeri"
Latu ( again different genres like shartan, gith)
Baadi
Gajji Chara
Bara tain
Sua/langra sher
lakiran
never played these at least i don't recall.
chor sapahi ( a very sophisticated game)
played it all the time
Maran maraan
never played it i think
aka wrestling im a beast in this, my whole family is good at it, my mamos played it for the army.
kaudi (kabaddi )
played both versions of this game, with and without the slapping lol.
my dad was in fact the best player in our whole area during his youth.

Actually more chances are that people from amritsar played all these games too but people from Rawalpindi did not because our "culture" in central punjab was more similar to neighboring border areas of indian punjab like amritsar/Gurdaspur because both areas are dominated by same jatt clans, notable Cheema and Sandhus are quite widespread jatt clans in both amritsar/Gurdaspur and Gujranwala/Sialkot/Lahore/Narowal areas and hence a lot of cultural similarities between these two areas.
gujranwala and lahore are dominated by jatts?

well...I am not sure whats with the onion obsession but @LoveIcon uncle told me that we are simple people and will even have roti with onion if nothing is in the house :sick:
simple my *** lol, my best friend is a arain in america and he the biggest show off lol.
he doesn't even call himself arain though he says I'm a chaudhary just like @RazPaK and the messed up part is his name is gaza so when i ran into razpak i thought it was my friend lol

lol, i remember one of our houses when i was still in pakistan have a wall male of dirt and the whole yard was harden dirt.
My great grandpa's house was kachi matti wala...literally there was no tiles or anything...soil as the floor... there was a tree growing in the courtyard :blink:

well...I am not sure whats with the onion obsession but @LoveIcon uncle told me that we are simple people and will even have roti with onion if nothing is in the house :sick:

When I was a child in 80s , some people used to eat roti with a mixture of salt and chilli only due to poverty. I myself used to eat roti with yogurt mixed with salt and chilli , we used to call it lasanpla. Those were simple days , people were poor but they did not have inferiority complexes that we see these days around us. We used to get into the house of any family in our street , they never used to bother. When I used to go back to my grandparent's village , I together with my cousins will cross the roofs of all the houses in our village starting from one corner and ending at the last corner. Even dogs used to roam over the roofs of the people without any worry, those were true "punjabi" days of my life :D

Last edited:
My town name is same as our jat clan name ;)
Man*eer?

My great grandpa's house was kachi matti wala...literally there was no tiles or anything...soil as the floor... there was a tree growing in the courtyard :blink:
trees in court yards is a norm in punjab lol, we have dates and all sorts of trees in our yard

@Shabaz Sharif there is only one town with lots of watts that i know of its off of ding road and start with "M"

When I was a child in 80s , some people used to eat roti with a mixture of salt and chilli only due to poverty. I myself used to eat roti with yogurt mixed with salt and chilli , we used to call it lasanpla. Those were simple days , people were poor but they did not have inferiority complexes that we see these days around us. We used to get into the house of any family in our street , they never used to bother. When I used to go back to my grandparent's village , I together with my cousins will cross the roofs of all the houses in our village starting from one corner and going to the next corner. Even dogs used to roam over the roofs of the people without any worry, those were true "punjabi" days of my life
Yes I remember eating roti and yogurt...heck I still do it to date if I dont feel like eating any of the food made at home...well not with salt and chili though :fie:

And yes we used to enter any home in the neighbourhood and we would be fed :D

Good old days!

i moved out of pakistan when i was 7 so my knowledge is very limited, i started this thread to learn more not to teach lol.

played it all the time lol, i had long arms so i was always good at it.

played 2 versions of this game ( i forgot one of the names but one is called "keeri"
Latu ( again different genres like shartan, gith)

never played these at least i don't recall.

played it all the time

never played it i think

aka wrestling im a beast in this, my whole family is good at it, my mamos played it for the army.

played both versions of this game, with and without the slapping lol.
my dad was in fact the best player in our whole area during his youth.

gujranwala and lahore are dominated by jatts?

Yes the rural parts of Gujranwala, and Majha area of Lahore are dominated by Jatts of same clans . Majha was historically the rural area that lied between the cities of Lahore and Amritsar. I think the notion of Majhi dialect of punjab also come from that Majha area.

When I was a child in 80s , some people used to eat roti with a mixture of salt and chilli only due to poverty. I myself used to eat roti with yogurt mixed with salt and chilli , we used to call it lasanpla.
we call that chutney lol

Yes I remember eating roti and yogurt...heck I still do it to date if I dont feel like eating any of the food made at home...well not with salt and chili though :fie:

And yes we used to enter any home in the neighbourhood and we would be fed :D

Good old days!
look at that a karachi girls trying to fit in with us punjabi boys lol

we call that chutney lol

look at that a karachi girls trying to fit in with us punjabi boys lol

About Gujjars though, many of my childhood friends were also Gujjars with names like Baju Gujjar, Kali Gujjar etc. We used to play with artificial toys made of the broken clay pots, we used to make different pieces and naming them like "Majj", "Sanda" and "katta/katti" etc, I together with my two best arain friends used to steal this "majj" toys of our Gujjar counterparts and received also "phainti" sometimes from them. We used to even practice mating of those Majj toys with Sanda toys :rofl: and then bring a small katta toy saying that the majj has given "jaa" (new born of majj) as a result of mating :rofl:. Me, my arain and Gujjar friends oh my god what a stupid and simplistic days of very "punjabi" childhood.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom