What's new

Punjabi Culture in the subcontinent and beyond….

Baadar killa
Bantay (many genres of this sport like nishana, ek vich sarey, goli pilla, nakka pur)
Latus ( again different genres like shartan, gith)
Baadi
Gajji Chara
Bara tain
Sua/langra sher
lakiran
chor sapahi ( a very sophisticated game)
Maran maraan
Kushti
kaudi (kabaddi )

Okkk...which game is what? I know baantay (marbles)...chor sapahi (always confused me)

:rofl: no idea ...whats the obsession about them and onions @LoveIcon uncle plz explain!

Well not all are fundamentalist: @Bratva @S.U.R.B. there are another 2-3 on the forum

Yea...like when I get mad I jsut pick an onion and throw it...hits you, knock out doesnt hit you, you cry when it swishes by :rofl:
i seriously need to start proof reading my posts lol, damn i screw them up so much trying to type fast lol.

Look you have started this thread but it seems like you are unaware of any typical traditions or aspects that are limited only to punjab, OK I tell you when I grew as a child in central punjab we used to play very punjabi specific children sports even in the cities like
Baandar killa
Bantay (many genres of this sport like nishana, ek vich sarey, goli pilla, nakka pur)
Latu ( again different genres like shartan, gith)
Baadi
Gajji Chara
Bara tain
Sua/langra sher
lakiran
chor sapahi ( a very sophisticated game)
Maran maraan
Kushti
kaudi (kabaddi )

Actually more chances are that people from amritsar played all these games too but people from Rawalpindi did not because our "culture" in central punjab was more similar to neighboring border areas of indian punjab like amritsar/Gurdaspur because both areas are dominated by same jatt clans, notable Cheema and Sandhus are quite widespread jatt clans in both amritsar/Gurdaspur and Gujranwala/Sialkot/Lahore/Narowal areas and hence a lot of cultural similarities between these two areas.

I had so many bantay that i buried them one day, never to find them again. I think someone stole :(

:rofl: no idea ...whats the obsession about them and onions @LoveIcon uncle plz explain!

Well not all are fundamentalist: @Bratva @S.U.R.B. there are another 2-3 on the forum

Yea...like when I get mad I jsut pick an onion and throw it...hits you, knock out doesnt hit you, you cry when it swishes by :rofl:
so your arain out of all the things you going to pick an onion to throw lol.
its true what they same no matter what a rains have in from of them they will always eat a roti with an onion lol

My father once threw all my bantas that I had won from other guys and had kept them secret in one place only to be found by my father and thrown in the chappar one day :rofl:
I think a guest in our house stole mine :(

its true what they same no matter what a rains have in from of them they will always eat a roti with an onion lol

Because like Sheikhs Arains also get this "kanjoosi" bashing sometimes.

One of my uncle who has done M.A. punjabi and also worked as a patwari is an authority on punjabi specific traditions/rituals but he cannot use internet :sick:

well...I am not sure whats with the onion obsession but @LoveIcon uncle told me that we are simple people and will even have roti with onion if nothing is in the house :sick:

I think a guest in our house stole mine :(

Actually my ami was sick of me wasting time playing bantay, its also possible she thrown it away after i buried them. After all i buried them in our house, only someone from house would know the place.

One tradition that Gujjars in my area in Gujranwala used to had was that they would throw coloured solutions on the "would be" groom a day not sure but perhaps before the wedding while the groom was wearing white dress, it seemed more like indian "holi" kind of custom in them. Do Gujjars in kharian also have this custom?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom