What's new

Punjabi Culture in the subcontinent and beyond….

My great grandpa's house was kachi matti wala...literally there was no tiles or anything...soil as the floor... there was a tree growing in the courtyard :blink:

My grandfather also had katcha makan growing up, then he became master/professor in some collage and build his own new pakka makan. My father generation was lucky in one aspect, lots of land for new house.

When I was a child in 80s , some people used to eat roti with a mixture of salt and chilli only due to poverty. I myself used to eat roti with yogurt mixed with salt and chilli , we used to call it lasanpla. Those were simple days , people were poor but they did not have inferiority complexes that we see these days around us. We used to get into the house of any family in our street , they never used to bother. When I used to go back to my grandparent's village , I together with my cousins will cross the roofs of all the houses in our village starting from one corner and ending at the last corner. Even dogs used to roam over the roofs of the people without any worry, those were true "punjabi" days of my life :D

With salt, chilli and paratha plus chai and yogurt? Thats what i eat for breakfast in ramazan now days. Only time of the year when i eat parathas.

Last edited:
About Gujjars though, many of my childhood friends were also Gujjars with names like Baju Gujjar, Kali Gujjar etc. We used to play with artificial toys made of the broken clay pots, we used to make different pieces and naming them like "Majj", "Sanda" and "katta/katti" etc, I together with my two best arain friends used to steal this "majj" toys of our Gujjar counterparts and received also "phainti" sometimes from them. We used to even practice mating of those Majj toys with Sanda toys :rofl: and then bring a small katt toy saying that the majj has given "jaa" (new born of majj) as a result of mating :rofl:. Me, my arain and Gujjar friends oh my god what a stupid and simplistic days of very "punjabi" childhood.
even i did all that stuff lol,
we gujjars like giving "phaintis" lol

Now just read the list of my childhood friends and their crazy names

Japhu turi wala
Maranu turi wala
Sanu tarkhan
Kali Gujjar
Baja Gujjar
Pheeku jatt
Aphu arain
pola jalaya
salami teli
mani machi
kami Sapata
bairu butt
maneeru kasai

No one was called with his real name and I did not know their real names till many many years, a very punjabi way of addressing each other in childhood. No one in my villlage was called with his correct name but all were called with their highly offensive distorted versions yet no one used to give a damn about it.

My grandfather also had katcha makan growing up, then he became master/professor in some collage and build his own new house. My father generation was lucky in one aspect, lots of land for new house.

With salt, chilli and paratha plus chai and yogurt? Thats what i eat for breakfast in ramazan now days. Only time of the year when i eat parathas.
oye yara isn't that chutney?

Now just read the list of my childhood friends and their crazy names

Japhu tori wala
Maranu tori wala
Sanu tarkhan
Kali Gujjar
Baja Gujjar
Pheeku jatt
Aphu arain
pola jalaya
salami machi
mani machi
kami Sapata
bairu butt
maneeru kasai

No one was called with his real name and I did not their real name after many many years, a very punjabi way of addressing each other in childhood. No one in my villlage was called with his correct name but all were called with their highly offensive distorted versions yet no one used to give a damn about it.

here is list of names my cousins and and friends gave each other in pakistan
topan chirri
anwar gidi chil bakra
fakeer
bobo
moti muj
lungda
motiya wala
rustam
rah jani
raddo

No, salt and chilli on paratha with chai. Sometimes just simple parathas with yogurt.
whats your town man

@Ghareeb_Da_Baal oye yara tu ve aja

lets start this thread about punjabi culture on both sides of the border and beyond.
i know we all use to be the same before basically so lets concentrate on these point here
-what is a punjabi

- has culture in indian punjab vs pakistan punjab evolved differently?

-where have most of punjabi hindu/sikhs from pakistan moved to in india?

-have punjabi in pakistan vs punjabi in india changed since the partition?

-describe punjabi culture in india vs Pakistan, difference and similarities.

-religious composition of both punjabs and overall religious composition of punjabis.

-baraderis(jatt, gujar, arain, rajput ect.) on both sides of the border

- how have punjabis abroad weather indian or pakistan held on to their punjabi culture?

-pictures from both sides of the border will be appreciated and even pictures of punjabis from abroad following their culture.

please lets keep politics and religion (except the composition) out of this.
tag any indian or pakistani punjabis.
all are welcome to discuss this weather your punjabi or not.

please pick one of the points and lets start discussing lol!!!

nice thread, thanks bro

whats too famous in pakistan? punjabi culture?
last time i checked punjabi indians were very proud of their culture as well.

Every one is proud of his her own culture. Punjabi culture is very similar to total north Indian culture. There is no much difference.

Another thing I remember we used to have in our childhood a circus like event which we used to simply call as "Saikal" (bicycle") where the guy used to ride cycle in a round circle of about 50 meters and he used to dance on punjabi songs of ajuman/noor jahan etc. during night when people used to give him some money as a reward. He was supposed to not touch the ground for 7 days (including nights), he would take shower also on the cycle and would do a lot tricks with cycle riding to get appreciation and reward from the crowd, they also used to had a rangeela like character to entertain people. Then this cyclist guy was also burried under the ground for few hours as a trick, he would also let the tractor roll over his legs and all other crazy stuff.

One song over which one such cyclist performed has stuck in my mind, it was this song of Noor jahan /Anjuman and whenever I listen to it, I just get memories of that cyclist guy who performed on this song while riding the cylce to entertain us.

Back
Top Bottom