What's new

Pashto to be official language: Sikandar Sherpao

Pashto as official langauge of province and medium of education would make lot of things easier for people and would promote literacy rate, quality of education would increase .
But it is not going to happen as long as KPK is part of Pakistan.

KPK is not a province for Pukhtoons its a province for Khyber-Pukhtoonkhwa domicile holders significant numbers of whom are Non-Pashto speakers !

99.9% of Pukhtuns in KP can NOT write Pashto and most of them can not read Pashto.

If this is the case, then its very very sad.

But actually I cant believe this. How can 99.9% of the people not write their mother tongue ?

"Desi people" means indians and those pakistanis with indic background like punjabis, sindhis, kashmiris, mohajirs....
Pashtuns and balochs are not desi, but they are undergoing process of desification ever since 1947. Look at this thread, pakistanis here are very furious at the idea of pashto , thousands years old langauge, as official and educational langauge of the province. At the occasion of renaming of NWFP there were talks of east pakistan scenario . A punjabi has given up on his identity, langauge and culture and expects pashtuns, sindhis and balochs to do the same in the name of "national unity".

That's why the great leader Jinnah when asked that whether Pakistan would be a nation in next 50 years, he said No. Pakistanis would be a nation in next 100 years.

By looking at the disappointment in your posts I think that process is going successfully. Good going. :)

99.9% of Pukhtuns in KP can NOT write Pashto and most of them can not read Pashto.

This is the stupidest idea which ANP recently floated and also Sikandar is making some noises over it.

you will see the Pukhtuns themself will reject it because most of their kids go to private schools and there they prefer English /Urdu.

above all its another attempt to slow down literacy rate. I remember when i was a kid we used to have pashto subject at primary level and NO Pukhtun teacher was able to teach us hence i have to teach my class as well as senior classes since i would take lessons from my father at Home.

Yes thats true. the city belongs to Hindkowans and till late it was part of Punjab even

Do you feel proud of such things Pashtuns can't read write their language.

Pashto as official langauge of province and medium of education would make lot of things easier for people and would promote literacy rate, quality of education would increase .
But it is not going to happen as long as KPK is part of Pakistan.

What kind of literacy you want to give? Like Masters in Pashto and than treating patients or inventing water powered car? Teach Regional language as optional subject IF people are so concerned about it but for better future of coming generation change academic language to English.

PS: For kids it's not problem even if you teach them french or dutch, they can learn anything. So it lame excuse that it will increase quality of education.

"Desi people" means indians and those pakistanis with indic background like punjabis, sindhis, kashmiris, mohajirs....
Pashtuns and balochs are not desi, but they are undergoing process of desification...

Ugh....not this again!!

Do you feel proud of such things Pashtuns can't read write their language.

If this is the case, then its very very sad.

But actually I cant believe this. How can 99.9% of the people not write their mother tongue ?

I am telling you the truth.

Pashto is taught as selective subject at graduatrion level as well as masters level.

anyone who is interested can take it up. but the degrees like other langusitic ones are useless.

its not of being proud and sad there are many other mother languages which we cant write or read properly.same is the situation with other languages as well.

How many in Tamil Nadu can read and write Tamil/Telegu or so on?

The official working language in Pakistan is Urdu and English though people converse in All languages but the written documents are in these two

This is the stupidest idea which ANP recently floated and also Sikandar is making some noises over it.

you will see the Pukhtuns themself will reject it because most of their kids go to private schools and there they prefer English /Urdu.

above all its another attempt to slow down literacy rate. I remember when i was a kid we used to have pashto subject at primary level and NO Pukhtun teacher was able to teach us hence i have to teach my class as well as senior classes since i would take lessons from my father at Home.

Yes thats true. the city belongs to Hindkowans and till late it was part of Punjab even

If you can read and write pashto then you should know that it is very easy langauge, more easy than even urdu. 99% of pashtuns of "new generation" cant read and write in pashto because you correctly pointed out the fact that most of students go to english medium private schools who are for business purposes. If you make pashto a compulsory subject like english than every private school would teach it, it is not a big deal.
I have studied in governament school, and teachers there made us understand maths and concepts of science through pashto. I have myself taught physics in a school for summer and i was communicating with students in local pashto, not english or urdu. You can express yourself better in your mother tongue. Quality of education is down because students dont understand english and tends to cramme things. Very few people can write an application in english properly.
But i agree with you, many pashtuns would oppose such idea. They are brainwashed and they think that pashto is sign of backwardness and has no value compared to urdu and english.

I am telling you the truth.

Pashto is taught as selective subject at graduatrion level as well as masters level.

anyone who is interested can take it up. but the degrees like other langusitic ones are useless.

its not of being proud and sad there are many other mother languages which we cant write or read properly.same is the situation with other languages as well.

How many in Tamil Nadu can read and write Tamil/Telegu or so on?

The official working language in Pakistan is Urdu and English though people converse in All languages but the written documents are in these two

Why not as a school subject for kids. In Andhra and TN, these languages are taught in every school and local people mostly read newspaper in these language.

Language identity is built across centuries and more you try to suppress it, more it will evolve.

Why not as a school subject for kids. In Andhra and TN, these languages are taught in every school and local people mostly read newspaper in these language.

Language identity is built across centuries and more you try to suppress it, more it will evolve.

As a compulsory subject for all or as an elective for those who wish to elect one regional language out of 3-4 others ?

That's why the great leader Jinnah when asked that whether Pakistan would be a nation in next 50 years, he said No. Pakistanis would be a nation in next 100 years.

By looking at the disappointment in your posts I think that process is going successfully. Good going. :)

The whole politics of jinnah was on the weak idea that muslims of subcontinent is a nation. But the ground reality is that pakistan is a federation of nations, not a single one. If you waiting for these different nations to intermix with each other to form a homogeneous one nation, then you have to wait for not 100 years but thousands of years.
Any how what importance of mother tongue has to do any thing with disintegrity of pakistan? Did you people forget the lesson of east pakistan? You denied them their linguistic and cultural identity , and you try to blackmail them with typical islam card, but they still chose their identity and they are still better muslims.

As a compulsory subject for all or as an elective for those who wish to elect one regional language out of 3-4 others ?

In India 1950s-1960s we too faced lot many issues on language. It was permanently solved with language based states, 14 official languages(now its 22). Critics said it would be fatal for India but they were proved wrong.

If you can read and write pashto then you should know that it is very easy langauge, more easy than even urdu. 99% of pashtuns of "new generation" cant read and write in pashto because you correctly pointed out the fact that most of students go to english medium private schools who are for business purposes. If you make pashto a compulsory subject like english than every private school would teach it, it is not a big deal.
I have studied in governament school, and teachers there made us understand maths and concepts of science through pashto. I have myself taught physics in a school for summer and i was communicating with students in local pashto, not english or urdu. You can express yourself better in your mother tongue. Quality of education is down because students dont understand english and tends to cramme things. Very few people can write an application in english properly.
But i agree with you, many pashtuns would oppose such idea. They are brainwashed and they think that pashto is sign of backwardness and has no value compared to urdu and english.

Luffy i can read and write and can teach Pashto as well as Punjabi, Hindko, Saraiki , Pothohari

so i can explain that why introducing mother tongue as compulsory subject is not a good idea at the moment (this is for all regional languages not just pashto.

1. In my personal opinion this another attempt to divide people into two classes just like Govt Students and Private school students or in a common man's language Taat walay school aur benchon walay ameeron k schools. Because

A. in many villages in KP the the study courses are in Pashto languages at primary level and when these students pass on to higher schools they are nothing but confused between the languages.

B. Those who study in mother tongue do not get jobs as compared to those who study professional degree in English above all they can not get jobs at other countries.

C. Private schools will never teach it as compulsory. They like taat wala and bench wala theory do not want to this division to go since its going to affect their business.

D. NO Pashto is not an easy language to be read and write specially. its script is altogether different than other local languages.

E. As you said and as i mentioned at offices/schools and other instiutions people do converse and explain concepts in regional language but if you want to survive in this competetive era with those qualified from reputed international and national English institutes you must be well versed in written, spoken and reading English Language.

2. NO i dont agree that Pukhtuns consider it sign of backwardness, the only need they felt was of competing with other communities in terms of education and conversation as well as getting jobs for their kids and the best is English and national language.

3. Quality of education is down because we have two kinds of educational systems Govt run schools and Private run schools.

the sylibus should be uniformed if we want the literacy rate to get higher.

The whole politics of jinnah was on the weak idea that muslims of subcontinent is a nation. But the ground reality is that pakistan is a federation of nations, not a single one. If you waiting for these different nations to intermix with each other to form a homogeneous one nation, then you have to wait for not 100 years but thousands of years.
Any how what importance of mother tongue has to do any thing with disintegrity of pakistan? Did you people forget the lesson of east pakistan? You denied them their linguistic and cultural identity , and you try to blackmail them with typical islam card, but they still chose their identity and they are still better muslims.

It is already happening mixed marriages are quite common in large cities, relationship by marriage has carried into the rural areas also, I have Pashtun relatives by marriage. Living proof - that the barriers are being pulled down.

Also shows the success of Urdu - 90% people have some understanding of it, 95%+ if you talk about the youth - this is including the most remote area of FATA or Baluchistan. :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom