What's new

Pakistani officials furious over ‘Homeland’

Where might I ask you saw american boots on the ground ? Are u suggesting the symbolic presence in some middle-eastern country ?
Read my comment, it clearly mentions military bases. From the middle east (Kuwait to KSA), to Africa. All of these were used, not for symbolic purposes, but for actual military operations such as during the first gulf war, or CIA activity against communist forces in the region.

United States military deployments - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heck, even Pakistan (South Asia) had a US military base at one point.

Tale of a love affair that never was:

And they weren't symbolic either, as they were used to spy on the soviets, whom also had bases in rival nations across the globe.

PS. Welcome to the forums, considering you're new. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Can I get a link for this demographic map ?

Because the above two links don't mention the UNDP quoting Orangi Town as the largest slum in Asia; they are the author's own articles with a single quote from the UN rapporteur that has no mention of Orangi Town.

Its in a report of the UN which was done with respect to slum development in Mumbai. Let me try and dig it out for you in a day or so. Just landed up from a high altitude trek. Anyways, lets take this off-line. Will try and message you the thing in the members forum.

The demographic map is from wiki.

Homeland is a series which primarily focuses on CIA and its activities around the world, they started off with Afghanistan.

CIA obviously is pretty active in the Af-pak region, they even showed Iran and Pakistan is where terrorism is rampant and is effecting the whole region, so it looks more logical than some "conspiracy' :lol:

The duplicity of ISI and PA is shown in the series and this is nothing but the manifestation of so many reports out of US which detail how Pakistani state is in bed with terrorists. Of course being a series it cannot be expected to show as it is, people here are expecting too much. As if showing the various good places in Isloo will earn them some TRP or brownie points :lol:

Let's not get sentimental here. RAW too has been involved in many terror related activities which have affected Pakistan since its existence. Should we start projecting India as a desert rag tag nation that only uses Afghanistan to destabilize Pakistan?

The Americans have time and time again proven that they don't consider Pakistan an ally. They need to stop calling Pakistan an ally. They also need to stop doling out cash to Pakistan in return for services.

I think this thread should be closed, you all are giving this ignoramous show waaay too much attention. How about more important shows such as Fringe, X-Files and Stargate....?

11 pages for a fictional TV shows ignorance. This post pretty much sums it up, so a discussion is pretty much pointless.
It's also quite xenophobic, and Islamophobic. It's portrayal of Pakistan is one thing, but it suggests that every Muslim is suspect. If there is a rich Muslim, he's guilty of funding terrorists; if there is a western Muslim, he's probably guilty of being a sleeper agent; if there is poor Muslim, he's guilty of joining terrorist outfits; if there is Muslim woman, she's probably oppressed in some form or another.

Considering Homeland's background of being adopted from an Israeli show, no one should be surprised it is a hit in the US and caters to xenophobes.

Americans see it from their viewpoint, something that Pakistanis simply do not appreciate. You can see the spin put on even the OBL (by Pakistan) case, fine Pakistan has to do what it has to do but expecting others to see it from your viewpoint (which usually boggles the imagination of most of the world) is silly. Your own point on "American military officials taking note of Indian involvement in supporting questionable groups" is a good example. There have been almost no statements from anyone explicitly suggesting that, yet you highlight that while leaving aside countless explicit statements suggesting Pakistan's involvement both in Afghanistan & in terrorism elsewhere.

This is a television series, a lot of liberties get taken but the essence of the story remains unquestioned (portrayal of India/Indians, while more benign is not exactly the same as reality). The point here is not the story itself but how Pakistan has pretty much been transformed into an "enemy" state in American eyes. That is the reality that many Pakistanis simply don't want to face up to.

You're not making much sense. How can all this be true, when the Americans pay (according to them) "hefty" dollars and call Pakistan an ally in the war on terror? The two don't add up.

You either call someone deceitful and end all relationships or you simply act like true friends and don't back stab each other. How deceitful is it to carry on with a dysfunctional relationship? Simple universal rules. I didn't make them up.

Blame your Govt. For engaging with a country like that..

As a ex_cia agent said in the article posted by @Bang Galore. "

"In reality, there is no such thing as a 'friendly' intelligence service. ISI, however, is the poster child for 'duplicitous,'" they added.

I wonder where that puts the CIA who actually funded Jihadism during the Cold War. If anything, the CIA is the brainchild of many if not most Jihadi groups in the world today. Let's not pretend that this is some fiction.

Pakistanis should realise that just getting angry with Hollywood
will NOT improve their image in the West

Till the time Pakistan becomes a moderate Islamic country such
stereotyping will keep Happening

We frankly don't care about our image in Hollywood. Some people in this world already have made up their mind. No amount of convincing would change that. We would be naive to think that this is the last anti-Pakistan TV serie or movie rolling out of Hollywood.

However, we do feel offended about blatant lies. Pakistan has sacrificed tens and thousands of lives in the war against terrorism. We feel that this doesn't do justice. That's all.

We don't expect a thanks from the US, but the last thing are a bunch of blatant lies.

Then we should not waste on programs like USAID if the objective is to treat everyone as an ISI agent.

Personally I think you shouldn't. When a country like yours has that many grievances against Pakistan the last thing to do would be to spend money. At least that puts things into perspective and people aren't confused about two nations being at loggerheads.

Right now nasty accusations are being thrown and yet these two nations pretend to be "allies". This TV serie is an indication of this fact. It's not a coincidence or some fictitious storytelling to spice up the suspense. These are to great degree genuine feelings being projected to the masses. Countries that have cordial relations don't portray such images of each other.

Last edited:
We frankly don't care about our image in Hollywood. Some people in this world already have made up their mind. No amount of convincing would change that. We would be naive to think that this is the last anti-Pakistan TV serie or movie rolling out of Hollywood.

However, we do feel offended about blatant lies. Pakistan has sacrificed tens and thousands of lives in the war against terrorism. We feel that this doesn't do justice. That's all.

It is NOT about Pakistan's image in Hollywood

Hollywood ONLY reflects the image which is in the MINDS
of US / European countries and people
Through Films and TV programmes like Homeland

HOWEVER and More importantly IF Pakistan was to become a country like Turkey / Malaysia/ Indonesia
That image would definitely change for the better

I have repeatedly seen this in their media outlets and here in pdf. They totally despise any thing US but they are totally okay with USAID and foundations like Gates & Melinda doing some great work in that part of the world.

Hypocrisy of the tallest order.

No. We're not okay with aid coming from a nation that accuses us of many despicable things. In fact, the people of Pakistan sincerely and outrightly reject such form of aid. Whether the government of Pakistan has a different take on this matter is an entirely different issue. The people of Pakistan cannot be held accountable for the actions and decisions taken by the government of Pakistan.

Besides, let's not kid ourselves. Much of the aid coming from USAID in particular doesn't even end up with the people of Pakistan. The Americans know this like everyone else. This aid money should be used elsewhere. Your government and organizations need to stop investing this money to portray a soft image of the US in Pakistan. It has no credibility. The grievances and accusations in this thread alone demonstrate this quite well. Let alone on a country to country basis.

We pretend to be someone else. In reality we are something entirely different. That includes the US. We are all hypocrites in this regard.

Last edited:
Hollywood portrays Pakistan as some Moroccan desert town or some Indian slum.

Homeland should have done even 5 minutes of research on Pak landscape

Public beheadings are not so common in India. In Pakistan....

Even 10000 days of research would have made the same story same landscape.
They couldn't shoot in Pakistan probably because it is unsafe for them even compared to indian slums.

Public beheadings are not so common in India. In Pakistan....

Even 10000 days of research would have made the same story same landscape.
They couldn't shoot in Pakistan probably because it is unsafe for them even compared to indian slums.

What on earth do you even know about Pakistan other than what you're taught in the schools or the media? Pakistan is a nation of almost 200 million people. If acts of terrorism occur they are isolated and confined to certain places. That includes suicide attacks, beheadings and what not. Pakistan isn't in its entirety up in flames if that's what you're trying to suggest. I frequently visit this country without any problems.

HOWEVER and More importantly IF Pakistan was to become a country like Turkey / Malaysia/ Indonesia

Pakistan would always be viewed in such a manner by certain countries. Turkey or no Turkey. It is not as simple as you think. There's much more at play. Pakistan's biggest sin is that it's an Islamic nuclear power. Let's not pretend otherwise. This fact alone suffices to despise it till the end of times. Besides, Turkey, Malaysia, and Indonesia aren't surrounded by hostile nations that also posses nuclear weapons. Their neighborhood is much more conducive. Of course, Pakistan itself also has a hand in creating much of the misconceptions. There's no denying that. By that I mean our unfortunate dictatorial and even so-called "democratic" past.

Last edited:
American shows are circus. Treat it like circus. Why is everyone so serious? If you are offended then lets make a show about Americans as fat, lazy and as Israel's slave.

As for some Indian posters, we all know they jump the bandwagon and are desperate to be recognised as White and Europeans. Sorry guys you are still curry munchers.

Let's not get sentimental here. RAW too has been involved in many terror related activities which have affected Pakistan since its existence. Should we start projecting India as a desert rag tag nation that only uses Afghanistan to destabilize Pakistan?

The Americans have time and time again proven that they don't consider Pakistan an ally. They need to stop calling Pakistan an ally. They also need to stop doling out cash to Pakistan in return for services.

You say RAW has been involved in terror related activities, should I ask for proof? No not really, cause I have heard so many reasons which end up without giving any.

You can project India as a desert rag-tag nation as much as you want, will people like what they see? I bet no one believe that India is supporting terrorism, except Pakistan that is to say.

You're not making much sense. How can all this be true, when the Americans pay (according to them) "hefty" dollars and call Pakistan an ally in the war on terror? The two don't add up.

You either call someone deceitful and end all relationships or you simply act like true friends and don't back stab each other. How deceitful is it to carry on with a dysfunctional relationship? Simple universal rules. I didn't make them up.

I wonder where that puts the CIA who actually funded Jihadism during the Cold War. If anything, the CIA is the brainchild of many if not most Jihadi groups in the world today. Let's not pretend that this is some fiction.

The two do add up, if you know how nations play. This is not some person to person relation where one would call the other a friend :lol: if you think so.

See, you admit yourself that CIA funded, lets talk about this

CIA supported and funded a Jihad in Afghanistan cause they saw it as the best solution to diminish the influence of USSR. Who gave them this option of funding a Jihad? Pakistan. Who wrapped up any funding to them post Afghan scenario? USA. Who kept supporting them even after the goal was achieved? Pakistan. Who told them to use it against India in Kashmir and kept them in their own home? Pakistan. Who asked them to continue supporting these people when they knew that it was hardly working like in Afghan? Pakistan.

And Muslism are directly responsible for being used in a game by a country which is far far away from any real harm.

People watch this?

Where did you learn America Geography? That's wrong. :tsk:

I don't know which is worse this coming from a moderator or the people that gave him thanks.

I am sorry, but... you folks, despite having soldiers in every corner of the world, playing the lead role as every 3rd party in every conflict, also being the richest in the world. An awful lot of you don't know much geography at all, and even little you know beyond the maps, ie the language, culture history or even current events.

The stupidity and ignorance about Pakistan and Islamabad in particular there in this series is then quite fitting too.

Just enjoy the show. All american shows portray us like this. We have to educate them.

For them we are just another country in the middle east with mud houses because we have never try to correct their version of us.

Back
Top Bottom