What's new

Pakistani officials furious over ‘Homeland’

I have been watching since the start and to be honest I do enjoy it,
It was a fairly original idea to start off with. But lets be clear the series like any series is just pure drama and conjecture,
It just happens that we know alot about the demographics and geography of Pak, compared to rest of world, so we are up in arms,
I dont see any conspiracy here apart from the show using their narrative as they see fit. I mean when one watches any drama show one has to suspend their belief regardless of how realistic a show may claim to be.
There were already several score wtf moments in homeland before this series, that required a major suspension of all logic and beliefs temporarily and it was becoming ridiculous.
I think as it has been pointed out already the shows writers are telling the story in a way that the west already imagines Pakistan to be.

It was a fairly original idea to start off with. But lets be clear the series like any series is just pure drama and conjecture,
It just happens that we know alot about the demographics and geography of Pak, compared to rest of world, so we are up in arms,
I dont see any conspiracy here apart from the show using their narrative as they see fit. I mean when one watches any drama show one has to suspend their belief regardless of how realistic a show may claim to be.
There were already several score wtf moments in homeland before this series, that required a major suspension of all logic and beliefs temporarily and it was becoming ridiculous.
I think as it has been pointed out already the shows writers are telling the story in a way that the west already imagines Pakistan to be.

Exactly. If it was a show about slums, filth, magic, body odour, snake charmers, cows, marijuana and 'the eternal wisdom of yoga', they would've based it in India. That's how stereotypes work. To be fair, this is how the entertainment industry works all over the world. You lot are portrayed as eccentric, crooked toothed, wimps all over the place.

I don't think Pakistanis should care about this beyond a point, other than to examine what aspects of the stereotype have some truth to them. Just like Indians should rethink their approach towards personal hygiene after seeing what the rest of the world thinks of us.

Its best to just not worry about it, its just like the film the interview, probably total bs, but its how the west views N Korea etc and people laugh about it, yet Korean leadership (north) are up in arms about it!!

How 'Homeland' is giving India free propaganda at Pakistan's expense

by G Pramod Kumar Dec 30, 2014 15:58 IST
What is a public relations bug bear to Pakistan should be useful propaganda for India - that should be the summary of the just concluded fourth season of American TV series, Homeland.

Pakistan is terribly peeved by Homeland because it depicts the country as a “shit-hole” run by an untrustworthy and double-dealing regime overrun by Islamic terrorists. That this message is repeatedly played out in pretty much all the 12 episodes of the series makes the fourth season of Homeland perhaps one of the worst and inadvertent public relations disasters for the country.

India, or its Pakistan-wary analysts, should be delighted that the series endorses its long-held view that Pakistan is a pseudo democracy where the real power is with the ISI, which is highly untrustworthy. And that the message has come from Americans, who have been partners with the country for decades, should prod them into a righteous smile.

The fourth season is about CIA officer Carrie Mathison, played by Claire Danes, chasing down Taliban terrorists, especially their leader Haissam Haqqani and his dreadful network. The Pakistan army and the ISI are America’s putative allies in the effort, but they are forever playing double games and are even hand in glove with the Haqqani network.

Drawing details from real-life incidents, the series portrays the helplessness of the mighty Americans against Pakistan’s state-sponsored terror even as they pour billions of dollars in development and military assistance. In the end, Haqqani and his men overrun the American embassy in Islamabad capturing vital intelligence information and killing several of its staff, following which America suspends its diplomatic relations.

This is heady stuff indeed. That too told with a certain audacity.

The worst reference to Pakistan, and a harbinger of things in store, comes in the second episode itself, in which the CIA director Andrew Lockhart asks the main protagonist Carrie Mathison, who lobbies for the station chief’s post of the agency in Islamabad: “Pakistan? Why do you even want to go back to that shit-hole?”

“It’s not even a real country, it’s a fu***** acronym” is his parting shot in the scene.

Every episode of the series features Pakistan’s alleged duplicity in vivid details with well-etched characters and incidents. The seemingly ruthless Pakistani intelligence official Tasneem, who spearheads the deceitful offensive, is presented as an epitome of diabolique. In the extensive scenes of negotiations between the Americans and the Pakistanis for the release of a former CIA director from the custody of Haqqani, the latter are in cahoots with the terrorists. At one stage, Lockhart says to his colleagues: “let me go and look at the fu***** in their faces,” while referring to the ISI officials.

Millions of people have watched the series across the world. And naturally, Pakistan is upset.

"Maligning a country that has been a close partner and ally of the US.... is a disservice not only to the security interests of the US. but also to the people of the US," Pakistan Embassy spokesman Nadeem Hotiana has reportedly said on Saturday.

"Repeated insinuations that an intelligence agency of Pakistan is complicit in protecting the terrorists at the expense of innocent Pakistani civilians is not only absurd, but also an insult to the ultimate sacrifices of the thousands of Pakistani security personnel in the war against terrorism." he further said.

There are also voices of protest from resident and non-resident Pakistanis about the portrayal of their country in the series. Writing in the New York Times Bina Shah said: “I realize afterward that I’ve been creating a test, for the creators of “Homeland” and all who would sell an imagined image of Pakistan: If this isn’t really Pakistan, and these aren’t really Pakistanis, then how they see us isn’t really true.”

This was in October, after the first episode, in which a drone attack on Haqqani kills the participants of a wedding party. What was in store in the subsequent episodes was worse.

For many Indians, there is something more to cheer about. The evil Pakistani intelligence officials featured in the film are played by Indian actors - Nimrat Kaur (of Lunchbox fame) and Raza Jaffrey. The likeable nephew of Haqqani, who gets shot in cold blood by his uncle, is also played by an Indian - Suraj Sharma (Life of Pi). What’s more, the Islamabad shown in the series was shot in Cape Town with the local Indian Muslims standing in for Pakistanis.

I really don't see what makes you think that there is nothing of a conspiracy when they show our capital as a shit hole... they show us being controlled by some terrorists, they show our primary intelligence agency also being controlled by terrorists... . I may agree that it's just a drama but it's something that would make an assumption and a complete mindset of millions of people across the world that is no way near the reality... and obviously they'll believe it.

Homeland is drama full of crap and lies and typican western fabrications about Pakistan.

How 'Homeland' is giving India free propaganda at Pakistan's expense

by G Pramod Kumar Dec 30, 2014 15:58 IST
What is a public relations bug bear to Pakistan should be useful propaganda for India - that should be the summary of the just concluded fourth season of American TV series, Homeland.

Pakistan is terribly peeved by Homeland because it depicts the country as a “shit-hole” run by an untrustworthy and double-dealing regime overrun by Islamic terrorists. That this message is repeatedly played out in pretty much all the 12 episodes of the series makes the fourth season of Homeland perhaps one of the worst and inadvertent public relations disasters for the country.

India, or its Pakistan-wary analysts, should be delighted that the series endorses its long-held view that Pakistan is a pseudo democracy where the real power is with the ISI, which is highly untrustworthy. And that the message has come from Americans, who have been partners with the country for decades, should prod them into a righteous smile.

The fourth season is about CIA officer Carrie Mathison, played by Claire Danes, chasing down Taliban terrorists, especially their leader Haissam Haqqani and his dreadful network. The Pakistan army and the ISI are America’s putative allies in the effort, but they are forever playing double games and are even hand in glove with the Haqqani network.

Drawing details from real-life incidents, the series portrays the helplessness of the mighty Americans against Pakistan’s state-sponsored terror even as they pour billions of dollars in development and military assistance. In the end, Haqqani and his men overrun the American embassy in Islamabad capturing vital intelligence information and killing several of its staff, following which America suspends its diplomatic relations.

This is heady stuff indeed. That too told with a certain audacity.

The worst reference to Pakistan, and a harbinger of things in store, comes in the second episode itself, in which the CIA director Andrew Lockhart asks the main protagonist Carrie Mathison, who lobbies for the station chief’s post of the agency in Islamabad: “Pakistan? Why do you even want to go back to that shit-hole?”

“It’s not even a real country, it’s a fu***** acronym” is his parting shot in the scene.

Every episode of the series features Pakistan’s alleged duplicity in vivid details with well-etched characters and incidents. The seemingly ruthless Pakistani intelligence official Tasneem, who spearheads the deceitful offensive, is presented as an epitome of diabolique. In the extensive scenes of negotiations between the Americans and the Pakistanis for the release of a former CIA director from the custody of Haqqani, the latter are in cahoots with the terrorists. At one stage, Lockhart says to his colleagues: “let me go and look at the fu***** in their faces,” while referring to the ISI officials.

Millions of people have watched the series across the world. And naturally, Pakistan is upset.

"Maligning a country that has been a close partner and ally of the US.... is a disservice not only to the security interests of the US. but also to the people of the US," Pakistan Embassy spokesman Nadeem Hotiana has reportedly said on Saturday.

"Repeated insinuations that an intelligence agency of Pakistan is complicit in protecting the terrorists at the expense of innocent Pakistani civilians is not only absurd, but also an insult to the ultimate sacrifices of the thousands of Pakistani security personnel in the war against terrorism." he further said.

There are also voices of protest from resident and non-resident Pakistanis about the portrayal of their country in the series. Writing in the New York Times Bina Shah said: “I realize afterward that I’ve been creating a test, for the creators of “Homeland” and all who would sell an imagined image of Pakistan: If this isn’t really Pakistan, and these aren’t really Pakistanis, then how they see us isn’t really true.”

This was in October, after the first episode, in which a drone attack on Haqqani kills the participants of a wedding party. What was in store in the subsequent episodes was worse.

For many Indians, there is something more to cheer about. The evil Pakistani intelligence officials featured in the film are played by Indian actors - Nimrat Kaur (of Lunchbox fame) and Raza Jaffrey. The likeable nephew of Haqqani, who gets shot in cold blood by his uncle, is also played by an Indian - Suraj Sharma (Life of Pi). What’s more, the Islamabad shown in the series was shot in Cape Town with the local Indian Muslims standing in for Pakistanis.

So, is this article a conspiracy too? That too written by an Indian. Some Pakistanis truly need to get out of their apologetic mindset. This article is a slap in the faces of those people that don't want to confront the truth. Rather, they are comfortable in hiding their heads like ostriches and pretend that everything is dandy. Our relation with the US is not only complicated, it's duplicitous and even unworthy. The Americans are fine as long as their interests are met and they will ridicule us in the process. The question is whether Pakistan is prepared to continue this hypocritical relationship in its current form.

Last edited:
They have shown their own cia headquarters main building and head get blown up in a terrorist bombing. they even showed damian lewis managing to get into bunker with all of us command wearing a suicide vest and how no one spotted it when the bomb didnt go off.....the fact that damian lewis would allowed to become a senator or congress man not sure which one after they eventually found out about his terrorist plans/plots is all bullshit, thats why I tell you there is no conspiracy. No one cares about what is shown in homeland re accuracy its all just made up stuff that is hard to believe but its drama, and yes maybe the guy doing the show doesnt like pakistan, but who really gives a fkk, there are far more important things to worry about than some sort of conspiracy...

Homeland season 4 finale upsets Israel | Daily Mail Online

NOw even Israel is offended ! lol

So, is this article a conspiracy too? That too written by an Indian. Some Pakistanis truly need to get out of their apologetic mindset. This article is a slap in the faces of those people that don't want to confront the truth. Rather, they are comfortable in hiding their heads like ostriches and pretend that everything is dandy. Our relation with the US is not only complicated, it's duplicitous and even unworthy. The Americans are fine as long as their interests are met and they will ridicule us in the process. The question is whether Pakistan is prepared to continue this hypocritical relationship in its current form.

Yeah, sure. Give up all the aid and the billions of dollars of contracts from US because they make shitty drama which offends you. Only if this thought came to the think-tanks in Pakistan, we in India would be dancing on our streets celebrating the ultimate victory against you.

Learn something about foreign policy, internet hotshot.

who cares lol i wouldn't have even ever known about this till i came here-pakistan isn't the only one thats got a false media treatment look at temple of doom,300,slumdog millionaire,not without my daughter,any move where they show africa etc the list goes on Homeland is just a TV show.Most people haven't even probably seen it and even so they're are smart enough to know media depiction isn't reality.

They have shown their own cia headquarters main building and head get blown up in a terrorist bombing. they even showed damian lewis managing to get into bunker with all of us command wearing a suicide vest and how no one spotted it when the bomb didnt go off.....the fact that damian lewis would allowed to become a senator or congress man not sure which one after they eventually found out about his terrorist plans/plots is all bullshit, thats why I tell you there is no conspiracy. No one cares about what is shown in homeland re accuracy its all just made up stuff that is hard to believe but its drama, and yes maybe the guy doing the show doesnt like pakistan, but who really gives a fkk, there are far more important things to worry about than some sort of conspiracy...

Homeland season 4 finale upsets Israel | Daily Mail Online

NOw even Israel is offended ! lol

Freedom of Speech at work! :D

Back
Top Bottom