What's new

Pakistan tour of England 2016-News and Discussions

Mohammad Amir committed a crime, served a jail sentence and long ban - we must not keep punishing him
  • GEOFFREY BOYCOTT
    Geoffrey_Boycott1-small.png
13 JULY 2016 • 7:32AM
103090312_moamirgetty-large_trans++J_IlFFXZa9ZXpCL1FI1h4ro_KH1C8Mxl3WGgnsAqrIg.jpg

Mohammad Amir practises at Lord's for his Pakistan Test comeback on Thursday CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

Sponsored
Seven amazing cricket moments at the Oval
Scroll through the gallery to discover the Oval's seven best cricket moments.
Read more ›
Some may feel that Mohammad Amir should have been banned for life and never allowed to play cricket again. It is an understandable emotional response to the spot-fixing scandal of 2010. What he did was wrong, he cheated and damaged the integrity of cricket.

At the time, many of us felt hurt and betrayed. His crime was dealt with by the International Cricket Council and our justice system.

amirhead-large_trans++4gCAX8nUqvJOSpTkJX9OC2kTCnmDS-OYs6Ldj_RLtX8.jpg

The Lord's crowd should not pick on Mohammad Amir - he has paid a heavy price with his suspension and prison spell for obeying his captain CREDIT: REX
The ICC suspended him from cricket for five years and one of our own English judges sent him to jail for six months. The judge had to take emotion out of his decision. Amir did not commit murder or manslaughter or grievous bodily harm.

ADVERTISING
He did not physically hurt anyone. He was guilty of corruption in a cricket match. There was consideration of his young age, 18, and the fact that his captain told him to do it.

All of us who have played cricket are taught from an early age to follow the captain’s instructions. It is an unwritten rule that you must obey your captain at all times. The penalty for defiance or refusing an order could be not being selected again or the sack. It would be very difficult for a young Pakistani boy, uneducated, at the start of his international career, to disobey his captain.

amirselfie-large_trans++VLvNQ4vBlzywIJ9onYGliu_DkB4Ngi8JJdi9uDWAsiM.jpg

Amir poses for a photograph at Taunton CREDIT: PA WIRE
Alastair Cook said Amir would get some stick from the England supporters. Why should he? What he did was wrong and he has served a jail sentence. Now move on. If you believe in the rule of law and giving people a second chance then Amir should be allowed to play cricket and lead a normal life.

Cricket supporters should not go on punishing him for ever. Let us not have any ugly comments at Lord’s from England supporters and particularly, if by chance, he bowls a no ball.

Remember, that happens to every bowler and is not always part of spot-fixing. It just happens. We all need to get over it and give Amir a break by treating him decently.

Lord’s was the scene of his offence in 2010. Now it is a chance for his rehabilitation.

As far as the series goes, it will come down to how both teams bat. I must say, I do not agree with the clamour for Joe Root to go in at No 3 for England. He is at a stage in his career where he will make runs whatever position he bats. He has the technique, composure and range of shots to handle whatever the opposition bowl at him.

When Joe bats well, he makes it easier for his team-mates at the other end. In my opinion, he should bat where he feels comfortable and where he will make the most runs.

100217143_Joe-Root-large_trans++T1yghX8zbx7fxQBY89c64Yp_8Zjj0h9Cc09REcgowkU.jpg

Joe Root will make runs wherever he bats but should be allowed to play where he feels most comfortable CREDIT: REX
When Andrew Strauss retired, England could not find an opening partner for Cook. They picked Nick Compton but decided he was not good enough and, just because there was the gap, Joe was shoved into opening before he was ready.

People like me told the selectors it was too soon but they did not listen. England had a problem, thought they knew better and Joe struggled.

Now England cannot find a No 3, so we get this garbage that the best batsman in the team should bat at first drop, which means Joe has to fill the gap again.

England’s Australian coach, Trevor Bayliss, tells us the Australian way is to have the best batsman at No 3. What a load of rubbish. And do not bring up Don Bradman as an example. He was a genius, unique and so much better than the rest of us mortals.

baylissget-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwei_-WatSeH_GgZCfYy3uMU.jpg

Trevor Bayliss's view that 'the best batsman bats at three' is nonsense CREDIT: PA
Throughout English cricket history some of our greatest batsmen have been openers. WG Grace, Jack Hobbs, Len Hutton and Herbert Sutcliffe were all openers. True greats. Other brilliant players have batted at No 4. Wally Hammond, Denis Compton and Kevin Pietersen. You will be hard pressed to better that lot.

Everyone has known for some time the England top order is shaky and vulnerable. So wherever Joe bats, he cannot cover up the deficiencies of some of the other batsmen. Once in the middle, each and every batsman has to sink or swim on their own ability.

Nobody can bat for them. If Joe bats well at No 3, he may make it a bit easier for the rest, but the best solution, in fact, the only good solution, is for England to find some better batsmen.

With James Anderson out, there is nothing much to choose between the two sets of bowlers. England’s seamers have a bit more experience of the Lord’s slope, the Duke red ball and English conditions, but that is it.

Pakistan’s leg-spinner, Yasir Shah, could be expensive if the England batsmen can pick him. But if the pitch turns, and they do not spot his variations, he could be a match-winner.

81267299_Yasir_Shah_SPORT-large_trans++i2ctj82rCJy3QOqq5vOjvWYBaHRrlxHKhYcmN8PQA_c.jpg

Pakistan leggie Yasir Shah could be a match-winner CREDIT: ACTION IMAGES
I expect Pakistan’s seamers to stretch England’s batting at times. But, for me, it will come down to how the batting line-ups perform. Pakistan look fragile and play too many shots early on, which is a recipe for failure. They will struggle to make enough runs to give their bowlers decent totals to bowl at.

England’s strength is two world-class batsmen in Cook and Root and the depth of their middle lower order of Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes and Stuart Broad. They have been England’s saviours for quite some time.

Get ready people, as the time nears i am getting more and more excited. Have always liked test cricket better and what is better in cricket than a nice English Summer of test cricket with a few Pakistani pacers bowling,,,, mouth watering. Looking forward for the test to begin.
(you may not see me around for the ODI's though :P )

as above .:tup:
can not wait to see Amir return to lords .
test is best real cricket
:pakistan:
weather seems pleasent 20-22
gonna swing that ball Amir .want to see toe cruncher yorkers ,bouncers aimed at the head of English batsmens make them do little tatti in there pants like Waqar & Wasim made them

England v Pakistan: The Imran Khan story

Imran Khan, a Pakistan cricketing legend, and one of the great all-rounders that blessed the game in the 1980s...

Was he the greatest of the era - better than Ian Botham? Richard Hadlee? Kapil Dev? That and a whole host of over topics will be covered during Sky Sports' feature with the Pakistan great, to be shown during the first Test between England and Pakistan at Lord's.

In part one, the former Pakistan captain talks to Michael Atherton at his home in Islamabad about his formative years and the early part of his international career. Atherton also travels to Lahore to explore where Imran grew up.

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...n-story#ooid=BrdGlwNDE6yDhEMmLdvz222KcERIpGdW

Pakistan is batting first. That may not be the worst case scenario. The afternoon is bright with sunshine, ball is not swinging much, James Anderson and Ben Stokes are not playing and bumble is talking about pigeons in the commentary.:woot:

Good first session. Hafeez throwing it away as usual!

76/2. Session 1. Not a bad start, but Hafeez could've capitalized after he negotiated the new ball.
Now a lot depends on Younis.

PS:
prv_b3d47_1468496082.jpg

:toast_sign:

@WAJsal
so far my prediction of Pakistan having better bowling attack for a fourth innings, seems to be coming true. they will bowl in fourth innings.

76/2. Session 1. Not a bad start, but Hafeez could've capitalized after he negotiated the new ball.
Now a lot depends on Younis.

PS:
View attachment 317777
:toast_sign:

@WAJsal
so far my prediction of Pakistan having better bowling attack for a fourth innings, seems to be coming true. they will bowl in fourth innings.
We have to wait for that. 2 and 3rd day are best for batting in test matches. It will be very interesting to see Aamir with the new ball.

Only thing about current team I dont understand is why a guy like Shan Masood is included. His average in any formats permits him only to play domestic cricket. He isn't that experienced, and I am sure there are alot of other fellows who could easily have replaced him (Fawad Alam or Babar Azam).......

i think english bowlers were bowling fire balls to shan masood,

most likely because he was raised if not born in England and PCB usual brain fart thought he'd hit a double century .

Tea - Day 1 Current time 15:57 local, 14:57 GMT - Pakistan 158/4 (52.0 ov)
Misbah-ul-Haq (rhb) 48
Asad Shafiq (rhb) 12

Pakistan RR 3.03
Last 10 ovs 29/1 RR 2.90
Min overs remaining 38

He only played three first class matches in england.Btw the innings he played in srilanka on 4 and 5 day was no doubt exceptional

Back
Top Bottom