What's new

Pakistan tour of England 2016-News and Discussions

there is an old Australian method of taking down the opposition the team viz attack the captain especially if he is a proper batsman. They've been doing it since days of Bradman and honestly i quite like this approach. The theory is if captain keeps getting out cheaply, his confidence starts to fall and ultimately he would get into a defensive shell. this will have a sure bearing on other on field decisions he makes and it gives you a chance to pounce and ultimately emerge victorious.
It would also be nice here if Aamir, Riaz and others too attack Cook and get him out cheaply in first 2-3 innings.
My analysis of both sides is that Pak bowling has more than a measure of English batting barring Cook. So if Pak Batsman can score 300+ on each innings and fielders (especially slips and gully) support bowlers, the scales might shift in favor of visitors.

Experienced batting and mercurial bowling.. Pakistan has good chance this time.. English batsmen need to be in good form to avoid this one to become an even contest.

James Anderson may miss the first test at lords due to shoulder injury. That's a positive news for Pakistan.
Aliaster Cook just crossed his ten thousand runs in test match cricket, the first Englishmen to do so and he is also England's leading run scorer in test match cricket. Apart from that Jhonny bairstow is in good form and Joe Root may have not scored vs Sri Lanka but he will be looking to regain his form.
All in all an exciting English summer is here after the Wimbledon.
there is an old Australian method of taking down the opposition the team viz attack the captain especially if he is a proper batsman. They've been doing it since days of Bradman and honestly i quite like this approach. The theory is if captain keeps getting out cheaply, his confidence starts to fall and ultimately he would get into a defensive shell. this will have a sure bearing on other on field decisions he makes and it gives you a chance to pounce and ultimately emerge victorious.
It would also be nice here if Aamir, Riaz and others too attack Cook and get him out cheaply in first 2-3 innings.
My analysis of both sides is that Pak bowling has more than a measure of English batting barring Cook. So if Pak Batsman can score 300+ on each innings and fielders (especially slips and gully) support bowlers, the scales might shift in favor of visitors.
I did not know that. Thanks for sharing.
Aliaster Cook is a perfect opner in English conditions. He watches the bowl closely and generally likes to leave the bowl nipping outside. A lot of times the first runs he scores is by flicking the bowl on his legs. He is that kind of a batsman. So Pakistan needs a strategy to get him out. Too bad Saeed Ajmal is not playing he would have been a wonderful bowler in the fourth and fifth day of a test match.

Last edited:
Well i certainly believe two things

1. Bowling wise - Pakistan has the right ammo
2. Batting wise - on paper good, temperament to play in swinging condition in a test match - Needs to be seen

For Pakistan test team the greatest challenge will come say in situations such as this scenario
England won the toss and invited pakistan to bat in a green cloudy conditions
Day 1 - Pakistan all out for less than 150.. no application, poor shot selection, no temperament
Day 2 - England batting score close to 250- 300.. Brilliant spell by one of the fast bowler.. one gets fiver .. but hunting in pairs missing and with say gritty fifty by couple of english batsman they reach that score
Day 3 - Pakistan batsman walkout to the middle - trail by 100 odd runs...

Now thats the situation when they got to show their mental strength and not cower under pressure.

This situation is very very similar and familiar to most touring teams..

The bowlers also unless all hunt in pack, a single Amir wont be able to stop such a situation everytime.

Imagine another situation
England won the toss in a sunny day and chose to bat
Day 1 and Day 2 - off day for bowlers .. England score 450+
Day 3 - Pakistan start woefully - lack of application and all out under 200 and had to follow on

This situation again will test their character and resolve. again a very familair situation for sub continental teams.

Lastly a situation which can be under any circumstances for pakistan batting
First 30 overs - Single session - Pakistan batting -
score less than 50
wickets lost -4
Top order gone..
now with rest 6 wickets can they play gritty and score 300?

We must remember its bowlers who will win test matches by picking 20 wickets. But they need batsman to perform and score a minimum runs for them to have a realistic chance..

Even if both these departments are taken care a third very important role is fielding. If your slip cordon and gully have butter fingers than even god cant help you win any test matches.

++
It will be a nice series no doubt.. But then i am yet to find another Rahul Dravid like player in subcontinent teams of today.. Pakistan batsman needs to see his batting in England and take inspiration..
Believe me
  • play 300 balls
  • score 100 runs,
  • keep one end tied up and tire the bowlers out
  • play session by session
  • once bowlers tire up let the other end batsman score a little more freely but cautiously.
  • A minimum 1 century and 2 50s will see Pakistan above 300-350 with other contribution here and there
  • Target is minimum 4-5 session of batting or close to 120-150 overs
  • run rate can be anything around 2.25-2.5 so anything around 300-337-375 runs.
  • Anything above is a bonus.
keep it simple.. its not T20.. its not ODI.. its test match.. so patience is the key...

Wahab all set to give tough time to England

wahab-all-set-to-give-tough-time-to-england-a206b9a6e1e20d7d1ce4c232cc075be6.jpg

ENGLAND: Pakistan left-arm pacer Wahab Riaz clarified that England is not as tough as they were last year and Pakistani bowlers can counter them.

In the 2015 Test series between Pakistan and England in UAE, Wahab was uncertainly man of the series, especially on the second morning of the Dubai Test, when he claimed the wickets of Joe Root, Ben Stokes and Jos Buttler. As a result, Pakistan took control of the game and the series.

“I know they [England’s batsmen] are not as experienced as they used to be,” he told media. “They have some new faces that are under pressure to perform, and if we can get Cook and Root out early, it will put a lot of pressure on England’s batting side.” he further added.

Wahab is particularly looking forward to continuing his battle with Joe Root, who impressed last year before the Pakistani pacer had him caught behind for 88 in Dubai to elicit England’s collapse. Now, the left-arm fast-bowler vows he knows England’s weaknesses.

“After the first Test in Abu Dhabi we worked out what he lacks and where he scores runs, so we made a plan of how to bowl to him,” he said. “Over here, the wickets will be much more even. We have made plans. It’s just how we execute them.”

Wahab’s skill in UAE was to overcome the conditions by using his pace through the air, and keeping batsmen guessing with a potent mix of bouncers and yorkers. However, a T20 spell with Essex has helped reacquaint him with England, and he has worked out how to adapt.

“If it’s cloudy, the ball starts to swing more. If it’s sunny, you have to be more consistent and bowl into the stumps,” he said.

bat first get a good total up on the board
Absolutely and if i may add negotiate first session, where there is some seam movement available to bowlers. If you can put even 50-60 odd runs with say 1 wicket at max, you are in good position. Usually from session 3 of day 1 to 2/3 session of day 3, batting conditions are at best and the team must look to bat only once.
On a wearing pitch, Pak bowlers use reverse swing much better and that will definitely help team bowling last.
Yasir Shah
He is looking good, hope he gets support from his captain (slip fielders throughout) and fielders. Aggressive field placements will certainly help the cause here.

On a wearing pitch, Pak bowlers use reverse swing much better and that will definitely help team bowling last.
It is an art you have to learn to survive in UAE, Pakistani pacers have done well to adopt this art. Amir reverses it well, Wahab is just as good.
BTW, watch out for Imran Khan, this guy is a seriously good seam bowler who has bowled well against tough oppositions in the UAE. So i think it a good series in making.

Plus, i'd be disappointing if we didn't win the first match. Pitch should suit us, England are missing on Jimmy and some batsmen(Butler and Gary Ballance). Hoping for the best.
Series is very important for Misbah and Pakistan, winning the series means 1st position in Test ranking.

Screwed up timings would been fun to watch.

So the fun begins.....

TOMORROW!!!

High hopes for Tests, Inshallah our boys will make us proud.

For ODIs, screw the management! :P

Misbah, Intikhab confident of fine Pakistan show in Tests

57853490cf66b.jpg

LONDON: Head coach Mickey Arthur talks to members of Pakistan squad during a practice session at Lord’s on Tuesday.—Reuters

CRICKET and rain go together, and in England at least it has never been different.

Pakistan, though, had nearly a full session at the nets at Lord’s on Tuesday before a light shower interrupted the proceedings and drove them away under the shelter of the indoor cricket school next door.

Hoards of mediamen in attendance roamed around looking for opportunities for an interview or to add a bit of spice to what Pakistan has on offer on this tour.

Joe Root, England’s most successful batsman in recent years, and Wahab Riaz were however ushered in for brief talk to the media and both in their way seemed confident of what their team would have on offer in the series ahead and in the first of the four Tests starting here on Thursday.

Their thoughts of playing positive and controversy free cricket may obviously could turn out to be a preamble of this much talked about Pakistan tour after nearly six years.

The focus, however, is no doubt how Mohammad Amir will perform in the series and what would be the nature of response that he will have to face generally from the crowd and the members of the MCC at Lord’s where on his last visit he disgraced us after by bowling deliberate no-balls for money during the Test and for which he was later banned and punished along with his captain Salman Butt and colleague Mohammad Asif.

Wahab, besides being sharp as he is with the ball, handled the barrage of questions about Amir fairly well. I am, in fact, pleased to say that he sensibly flicked their nagging queries off his legs quiteprofessionally.

I was a lot more keen though to have a few minutes with the manager of the team Intikhab Alam and captain Misbah-ul-Haq.

Both agreed that this Pakistan team does have the potential to perform beyond what the detractors may think of them.

Having played two drawn games against Somerset and Sussex, both feel they have the capacity to absorb pressures and compete against Alistair Cook’s men at equal level.

“At Somerset our boys batted superbly. Azhar Ali made a fine century and another against Sussex,” said Intikhab. “Asad Shafiq looks in good nick too and so does senior pros Younis Khan and Misbah and they all seem very keen to get on with it.”

“Having looked at them closely so far, I have a feeling that this team has the ability to do well against England and may even shock them,” said the former captain. “The moving ball in English conditions is kind of a bane for the overseas batsmen, but it looks like that they have been coping well,” said the manager.

Misbah echoed Intikhab’s views. “We are now a fit bunch of people and, having played two very useful matches against counties, feel confident of doing well in the English conditions with both bat and ball.

“I am not worried about what people may think about our batting line-up but I personally feel that we have the capacity to deliver and if the weather is kind to us we shall indeed try and play to our full potential,” Misbah said.

It was raining at Lord’s while I wrote this, the covers were on and the ground staff appeared busy mopping up rain from the top of the sheets.

England does have its full share such unkind weather, no matter it is summer or the chill of the winter. I remember the seventies when in the month of June it snowed heavily at Buxton in a county game and an Aussie great David Boon playing in that game enjoyed the snowfall so much that he stood right in the middle of the pitch knee deep in snow padded up and with bat and gloves in hand to resume his innings.

Come rain or hail-storm, Pakistan however appear determined to do well. And we can only wish them well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom