What's new

Pakistan to test-fire Italian Spada 2000 in 2010

MBDA Confirms Air Defense System Sale to Pakistan
By TOM KINGTON
Published: 16 Apr 13:54 EDT (17:54 GMT)

ROME - European missile house MBDA has officially confirmed the sale of its Spada 2000 air defense system to the Pakistan Air Force.

Speaking here April 16, Chief Executive Antoine Bouvier said the deal for 10 batteries was worth 415 million euros ($656.56 million) over five years, adding that the contract was signed last August and put into force in February.

The Spada 2000, produced by the Italian-controlled part of the firm, MBDA Italia, and used by Italy and Spain, includes a 60-kilometer-range radar and two firing sections, each containing two missile launchers with six Aspide 2000 missiles each. The missiles have an intercept range of more than 20 kilometers.

"This is a wonderful achievement," Bouvier said of the Pakistan deal. "It was a tough fight."

Industrial sources have told Defense News that the Spada system defeated competition from Raytheon, Diehl BGT and Saab.

MBDA Italia represents the 25 percent stake held in MBDA by Italy's Finmeccanica group.

A series of firing tests that formed part of the evaluation program with the Pakistan Air Force will be followed soon by further firing tests for qualification purposes, Bouvier said. He hopes the deal may be expanded in the future.

Although the deal officially fell under the responsibility of MBDA as a whole, Bouvier said "strong support" was provided by the Italian government and Finmeccanica. The Italian Air Force assisted with pre-contract firing tests in Pakistan, he added.

The export license for the deal was processed in Italy and helped push MBDA Italia to the top of Italy's chart of defense firms ranked by exports for 2007 - calculated on the basis of export licenses issued - with an 18.5 percent share of exports worth 443 million euros.

MBDA Confirms Air Defense System Sale to Pakistan - Defense News

This will be a huge leap for pakistan to counter MRCA threat. Perhaps now the Indians wont approach MDBA and try to flash their ATM card.

have been listening to this news since 2003. nothing practical have happened so far, i hope i am wrong but this too is an old article and do not means much in real practical sense!!

regards!

what about the transportability of this system,as the system is not mounted over a truck.
is there a special system to transport it?

what about the transportability of this system,as the system is not mounted over a truck.
is there a special system to transport it?

well sir nice point you have made it is important thing trnsportation for such system is very important hats of to you man you have nice mind on your shoulders any way i think it can be lifted by heavy transport helicopter which pakistan dont have only MI 17 which is medium lift not sure it can lift this or not but must have been trnsported by C 130 but surely pakistan need heavy life helicopter to carry heavy muscle for our armed forces it will save the time and money

Let me ask a (stupid may be) question.

Suppose Pakistan has no jets, helicopters, war-ships, tanks but a lot of many many all kinds of missiles, some advanced satellites, advanced radars and money.
Then is it possible to win the war against India by attacking with only missiles (with the help of radars and satellites) which will destroy their tanks, ships, jets, bankers, armies?

I know that will be expensive but I am asking about in case Pakistan has the money and systems.

Yes and u know y ?

17 karoor khudkhush :P :pdf:

Enough 4 them ? :smokin:

Let me ask a (stupid may be) question.

Suppose Pakistan has no jets, helicopters, war-ships, tanks but a lot of many many all kinds of missiles, some advanced satellites, advanced radars and money.
Then is it possible to win the war against India by attacking with only missiles (with the help of radars and satellites) which will destroy their tanks, ships, jets, bankers, armies?

I know that will be expensive but I am asking about in case Pakistan has the money and systems.

Hi,

The reason we have different items and different equipment is to create a balance in offence and defence---and force projection. Which mean, if one of your item is neutralized by the enemy, then you can fall back on the other.

If you just have missiles---then the enemy can only specialize in one kind of warfare ie to neutralize the missille defence---and once they breakdown the outer defences of missile warfare----there is nothing much to hold them back---.

You ought to have a complete package---offence---defence---strike---ground---naval---submarines---missiles---satellite---. It gives you diversity against enemy attack---or your attack on the enemy---.

Always remember what the mouth has----a bunch of teeth---some for bitting---others for tearing---and then others for chewing.

Mastan khan is right if we have different type of systems it will be more headache to indians if they work against our medium range sam system their fighter jets will fly at higher alltitude so our medium range system cannot track them and their fighter jet hits our system than it is bye bye for pakistan thats why if we have all ranges of sam system their fighter jets think thrice before entering in pakistan if we have high alltitude system so we cover all indian odffence anyway i agree with mastan khan pakistan should procoure different typr of system of each thing

It seems to a be a good decision.

I am sure SPADA is going to take care of SU-30 threat.

Who is buying this system? Is this for all the 3 services or just for PAF ?

It seems to a be a good decision.

I am sure SPADA is going to take care of SU-30 threat.

Who is buying this system? Is this for all the 3 services or just for PAF ?

our AIR DEFENCE is handled BY THE PAF!! hence i guess only the PAF!!! ;)

:blah: :blah:

i am really sorry going off-topic but friedns i couldnt resist this one...
please excuse!
PAKISTAN REPORTEDLY DEVELOPS CAPABILITY FOR MULTI-WARHEAD MISSILES.

Text of report by Mohammad Saleh Zaafir entitled: "First test of new Hatf missile series to be conducted this morning", published by Pakistani newspaper Jang on 25 May

Pakistan is going to test the first of the country's new series of short and intermediate-range Hatf missiles this Saturday [25 May] morning. The missile will be fired from the "Tilla Range". This scribe has learned through highly credible sources that the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) has been alerted extraordinarily on the duration of these missile tests, that will last for four days.

The missiles to be test-fired during this period are capable of carrying nuclear warheads to their targets. During the tests, all the missiles will carry a payload equivalent to the weight of nuclear warheads. The United States was informed of these missile tests early this month.

The sources said that the services of telecommunication and space satellites have also been acquired in order to compile the results and technical data obtained from all these tests. For the first time, Pakistan will test-fire missiles on sea targets, aside from land targets.
www.****************
Pakistani scientists and engineers have already reached the places where the tests will be conducted, and their teams have finalized all the arrangements. Hotlines have also been set up to keep President Gen Pervez Musharraf informed about the tests. It is expected that Gen Musharraf will himself make an announcement regarding the missile tests.

The president's special adviser, Dr Ashfaq Ahmad Khan, told the daily Jang late Friday night that all the tests will be conducted during daytime and that details will be issued upon completion of each test. He expressed confidence that these tests will, by the grace of God the Almighty, be 100 per cent successful.

It was also learned that Pakistan has already started producing these missiles which were developed through indigenous technical capabilities so that they are available in required quantity. Experts say that the missiles that will be test-fired starting on Saturday have already been successfully tested in laboratories.

This scribe also learned that Pakistan has acquired technical capability in producing "Multi Independent Re-entry Vehicle" (MIRV) missile, which is a splendid achievement by Pakistani scientists in this field.

At present, the United States is the only country in the world that possesses trustworthy MIRV missile system.

The MIRV missile is capable of dropping more than one bomb on its targets. The Pakistani MIRV missile is capable of dropping three to seven bombs in different targets in an area of 80,000 sq. km

Source: Jang, Rawalpindi, in Urdu 25 May 02 pp 1, 7.
BBC Worldwide Monitoring/ (c) BBC 2002.

and Mr. DRDO, i hope you would hate me for going "OFF-TOPIC" :lol: ;)

regards!

Last edited:
our AIR DEFENCE is handled BY THE PAF!! hence i guess only the PAF!!! ;)

Did you ever hear Army Air Defence. One of my cousin is an officer in that.

I have seen AD Gun and Missile with PN as well.

OR

PAF has taken over the responsibility to defend other 2 services as well ?

Back
Top Bottom