What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

20191118011339-.jpg
20191118011342-.jpg
20191118011345-.jpg

Type 054A/Ps are being builded in this shipyard, and maybe you can find them out soon...

I agree. The Type 054A is 4,000+ tons, it's a large ship. We can further optimize its use of space to add much more capability than currently present. If there's one system I'd try pursuing, it'd be the Russian Redut (9M96E2), a long-range SAM (100~120 km range). That or take delivery of the 054A/P without any subsystems and weapons, but in turn, look to customize them with Turkish, European, etc systems.

The two options for missiles i would most are either the Redut missiles or the CAMM-ER. To get either, i think the subsystems for the ships would need to be Turkish in origin, but given China's reluctance lately to allow others access to their tech (seems to not abe allowing Hq-16 aboard Jinnah class) i dont think they will sell just the hull. You would need to focus mostly on expanding the J-class hull and upscaleing it (which luckily you can do now that you also own the design) and maybe get it somewhere in the realm of the actual MILGEM-2/I-class design with room for 16 AShM but a 32 cell VLS instead of the 16-cell. Then you could work with Turkey for a long range (150-200km SAM) and see about quad packed CAMM-ER (likely ~70-100km range) That will allow for 16 long ramge and 64 Medium ranged SAMs. On a near 4000t vessel.

I really hope the Type 54 we are getting is bigger and has those VLS which TYPE 52 D has to carry cruise Missiles.

@Bilal Khan 777 @LKJ86
And you also have to consider new AESA radars like Type 346A...It would be a completely new design at that moment.

But I find that PN prefers mature ones...

I really hope the Type 54 we are getting is bigger and has those VLS which TYPE 52 D has to carry cruise Missiles.

@Bilal Khan 777 @LKJ86

Its unlikely. The supposed layout and loadout is supposed to be identical to PLAN Type 054A. But with the advent of Harba, your desire for surface borne LACM can still come to fruition. Because the Harbah can be both LACM and AShCM, with a 700km range, you will be able to fit at least 6 if not 8 such missiles on Type 054A whioe reserving the 32 VLS cells for HQ-16. Additionally, most of the LACM duty will be handled by the Hangors so im not too worried about the naval launch of LACM (Jinnah, Azmats, and likely Tpye 054A will all likely be able to launch Harba at 700km whereas if they used Babur 3 via VLS you would have only 450km).

I would more like to focus on the missile chosen for the primary SAM, HQ-16A, with single pack 40km it is ok but not ideal. Better would be HQ-16B (70km range), better yet would the Polyment Redut 9M96E which is the successor of the 9M100 (which was the basis for the 40km quad packed KM-SAM of south Korea). The 9M96E is a 60km, potentially quad-packable missile, whether Russia would sell it (possibly) or China would allow it on Type 054A (questionable), or USA would sanction you for getting an S-400 component missile is debatable. The best option would be CAMM-ER (likely 70-100km range, quad-packed SAM). I think Italy would consider selling it (strong defense relationship and Italy sold Spada-2000) but i doubt China would allow it to be integrated unless PN gets electronics from somewhere else with Chinese consent. Probably the best PN could ask for is the HQ-16B on Type 054A/P, but hopefully still pursue CAMM-ER For the Jinnahs.

If they can infact get CAMM-ER, Then during refit of F-22P, remove the FM90 in favor of an 8 cell Sylver A-50 and get Genesis style upgrade with CAMM-ER as your main SAM.

@Bilal Khan 777 @LKJ86

The reasons PN went for Type 54A with minimal customization is very competitive price and swift delivery. If PN asked for major changes both of these points will not hold. But Pakistan needs these capabilities yesterday or last decades to stop constant threat of naval blockade by hostile neighbour. After Gwadar development with CPEC and Belt & Road Initiative as well as countering indo-pacific strategy by hostile powers PN can not wait any more. I hope PN should go for at least 4 Type 52 D for air defence role immediately after first of those type 54A are on way to deliver and later compliment them with another 4 Type 54A or advanced models.

The reasons PN went for Type 54A with minimal customization is very competitive price and swift delivery. If PN asked for major changes both of these points will not hold. But Pakistan needs these capabilities yesterday or last decades to stop constant threat of naval blockade by hostile neighbour. After Gwadar development with CPEC and Belt & Road Initiative as well as countering indo-pacific strategy by hostile powers PN can not wait any more. I hope PN should go for at least 4 Type 52 D for air defence role immediately after first of those type 54A are on way to deliver and later compliment them with another 4 Type 54A or advanced models.
In fact, Type 054A and Type 056/A are PLAN's low-cost warships for mass production.
Type 054A is not a good choice for air defense.

IMO with 8 frigates,8subs 2 OPVs PN,S hands are full at the moment. New acquisitions maybe will be made after 2025.

In fact, Type 054A and Type 056/A are PLAN's low-cost warships for mass production.
Type 054A is not a good choice for air defense.
Agreed, but it is a good sub hunter and an adequate air defense frigate. It is exponentially better than anything PN has or can get at thos time with respect to air defense unless thdy get CAMM-ER for Jinnah. Its would be significantly better with a better missile and an integrated mast with AESA radar (of note from what i understand the 054A/P will have a rotating AESA Air search radar). As i said above, the 70km HQ-16B would be good for it but Redut or CAMM-ER would make it a beast.

Back
Top Bottom