What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

It kind of makes little sense for a project to be super secretive as you are suggesting and then to have accurate models on display.

These models / pictures have turned out to be misleading in the recent past.. the Turks used to display Ada models for the Pak Navy corvette project, before it was changed to the Jinnah-class design with 16 VLS cells.

PN's Navy News magazine displayed pics of the 1900t Damen OPV which are different from the 2300t ships it is actually getting. The ones built have enough space to install anti-ship/land-attack missile launchers and may get ASW equipment and PDMS/CIWS as well.

For a relatively small weight and size penalty adding room for at least a half dozen VLS tubes will allow the PN to increase the uncertainty factor for Indian planners. This has been shown to have a significant psychological effect on enemy planners as seen with the NASR tactical system.

A small SLBM type VLS down the line would allow carbon fiber based SLBMs with modest ranges to give the PN a minimum second strike capability, complicating Indian war plans and raising the stakes for any misadventure they could come up with. At the very least it would tie up significant amount of Indian resources in ASW.

finally if these VLS tubes are on all 8 hangor class subs, then only the PN would know what subs carries what missiles, and the world would have e to assume the PN has an active second strike force ready to go, with potentially a number of subs on active deployment, and sub commander would respond if Pakistan were attacked beyond a limit.

For a relatively small weight and size penalty adding room for at least a half dozen VLS tubes will allow the PN to increase the uncertainty factor for Indian planners. This has been shown to have a significant psychological effect on enemy planners as seen with the NASR tactical system.
and the world would have e to assume the PN has an active second strike force ready to go, with potentially a number of subs on active deployment, and sub commander would respond if Pakistan were attacked beyond a limit.
They believe in conjectures as per the KITAP! Please leverage it as much as possible.....

Reminds me of the movie, The Crimson Tide....

These models / pictures have turned out to be misleading in the recent past.. the Turks used to display Ada models for the Pak Navy corvette project, before it was changed to the Jinnah-class design with 16 VLS cells.

PN's Navy News magazine displayed pics of the 1900t Damen OPV which are different from the 2300t ships it is actually getting. The ones built have enough space to install anti-ship/land-attack missile launchers and may get ASW equipment and PDMS/CIWS as well.
Yeah, that was my point.
Hence, speculating on the basis of a model will not necessarily take you in the right direction.

Type 52C/D are expensive and if ever acquired by PN will likely be the Flagships of the Squadron, I hope to see more Type-54(A/B etc. )

If PN uses the Type-54s as PAF does with F-16, then Type 54A will be the flagships and then expect more J class to form the squadron.

Type 52C/D are expensive and if ever acquired by PN will likely be the Flagships of the Squadron, I hope to see more Type-54(A/B etc. )

If PN uses the Type-54s as PAF does with F-16, then Type 54A will be the flagships and then expect more J class to form the squadron.
I agree. The Type 054A is 4,000+ tons, it's a large ship. We can further optimize its use of space to add much more capability than currently present. If there's one system I'd try pursuing, it'd be the Russian Redut (9M96E2), a long-range SAM (100~120 km range). That or take delivery of the 054A/P without any subsystems and weapons, but in turn, look to customize them with Turkish, European, etc systems.

We can further optimize its use of space to add much more capability than currently present. If there's one system I'd try pursuing, it'd be the Russian Redut (9M96E2), a long-range SAM (100~120 km range). That or take delivery of the 054A/P without any subsystems and weapons, but in turn, look to customize them with Turkish, European, etc systems.
And then, the money you spend is close to the cost of Type 052D DDG.

And then, the money you spend is close to the cost of Type 052D DDG.

Indeed, thus if PN gets Type 052C/D type, it be couple of units, cost of acquiring plus routine operation and maintenance. As much as I would like to see Type 052C/D in PN Service, unless economy takes a dramatic upswing and momentum is sustained the probability is very slim.

I agree. The Type 054A is 4,000+ tons, it's a large ship. We can further optimize its use of space to add much more capability than currently present. If there's one system I'd try pursuing, it'd be the Russian Redut (9M96E2), a long-range SAM (100~120 km range). That or take delivery of the 054A/P without any subsystems and weapons, but in turn, look to customize them with Turkish, European, etc systems.

You are asking for Admiral Gorshkov-class type frigate with Poliment-Redut air defence system.

Indeed, thus if PN gets Type 052C/D type, it be couple of units, cost of acquiring plus routine operation and maintenance. As much as I would like to see Type 052C/D in PN Service, unless economy takes a dramatic upswing and momentum is sustained the probability is very slim.
IMO, PN maybe would choose Type 052D when its production is about to stop, similar to F-22P and Type 054A/P.

At that moment, PN can get mature and cheapest Type 052D DDGs.

IMO, PN maybe would choose Type 052D when its production is about to stop, similar to F-22P and Type 054A/P.

I may be proven quite wrong, they way I see it that by time Type 052C/D reach end of production, PN should have mastered the J class production as I see 4 more J class after the ist one gets build in Pak. I think PN will build upon J class and turn that into Type 052D class with European and or Turkish systems and weapons.

Now this hinges upon when the type 052D production comes to an end, PLAN is moving ahead with Type 055, will that be the end of Type 052 production ?

Why not Type-55B?

I may be proven quite wrong, they way I see it that by time Type 052C/D reach end of production, PN should have mastered the J class production as I see 4 more J class after the ist one gets build in Pak. I think PN will build upon J class and turn that into Type 052D class with European and or Turkish systems and weapons.

Now this hinges upon when the type 052D production comes to an end, PLAN is moving ahead with Type 055, will that be the end of Type 052 production ?
Type 052D is about 7000 tons, and what about J class?

The latest version of Type 052D, Type 052DG, has just came out, and I don't think its production would stop very soon.

Type 052D is about 7000 tons, and what about J class?

The latest version of Type 052D, Type 052DG, has just came out, and I don't think its production would stop very soon.
Do destroyers work alone or they require supporting fleet???

Back
Top Bottom