What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

I agree. The Type 054A is 4,000+ tons, it's a large ship. We can further optimize its use of space to add much more capability than currently present. If there's one system I'd try pursuing, it'd be the Russian Redut (9M96E2), a long-range SAM (100~120 km range). That or take delivery of the 054A/P without any subsystems and weapons, but in turn, look to customize them with Turkish, European, etc systems.

The costs to optimize will bring the ship to either near the improved Type 052D level or we will not really be optimizing for the full capabilities that the VLS cells could deliver given the right sensors.

while it all comes down to our economy, if we can grow our economy so that we can afford to buy a few improved Type 052D, we would have the capability to carry air defense missiles with a range of 200-250 km; we could engage the launch platforms that carry missiles like the Brahmos. The launch platforms are not as agile as the missiles and we would be able to complicate their plans by a whole order of magnitude.

coupling the longer range with the number of missiles each Improved Type 052D carries and we have a platform at approx. $600-700 million each that will give the Navy 24/7 independent air defense and allow the Air Force to be used more freely, and not tied down to defending the navy, or the navy stuck having to hug the coast. The navy could go out further and strike enemy forces from unexpected directions.

Initial Cost, operation cost, just too expensive for PN.

During wartime they operate with other vessels, was told of an interesting tale on sinking of PNS Khaibar (1971) when got left all alone.
What about PNS Shah Jahan? It was attacked too

I hope Pakistan Navy buys 4 52DGs

Initial Cost, operation cost, just too expensive for PN.

During wartime they operate with other vessels, was told of an interesting tale on sinking of PNS Khaibar (1971) when got left all alone.

Khyber was sunk by an OSA Class Missile boat armed with Styx Missiles. They never knew what hit them and sank within minutes. 1940's technology vs Early 60's technology. Khyber was one of Battle Class Flotilla Leader destroyers order by RN in 1942. PN operated 2 ex RN destroyers Badar & Khyber.

Operating alone was not the issue, it was just out gunned by a small, fast and highly maneuverable missile boat which fired its weapon when about 20 miles away from the target, out of range of Khybers' main 4.5" QF MK IV guns (Max range was about 18 miles).

PN at that time did not have any thing to counter this nor the tactics in place. OSA's came as total surprise to Pakistan and were thought to be operated by Russian crews during the war.

I may be proven quite wrong, they way I see it that by time Type 052C/D reach end of production, PN should have mastered the J class production as I see 4 more J class after the ist one gets build in Pak. I think PN will build upon J class and turn that into Type 052D class with European and or Turkish systems and weapons.

Now this hinges upon when the type 052D production comes to an end, PLAN is moving ahead with Type 055, will that be the end of Type 052 production ?

The Type 052D class is parallel with the Type 055 class, and they won't end its production anytime soon.

Thank you for the correction, appreciated on Khaibar. IN crew learned Russian while there to train and pick up OSA's, thus the confusion about Russian operating them.

Khyber was sunk by an OSA Class Missile boat armed with Styx Missiles. They never knew what hit them and sank within minutes. 1940's technology vs Early 60's technology. Khyber was one of Battle Class Flotilla Leader destroyers order by RN in 1942. PN operated 2 ex RN destroyers Badar & Khyber.

Operating alone was not the issue, it was just out gunned by a small, fast and highly maneuverable missile boat which fired its weapon when about 20 miles away from the target, out of range of Khybers' main 4.5" QF MK IV guns (Max range was about 18 miles).

PN at that time did not have any thing to counter this nor the tactics in place. OSA's came as total surprise to Pakistan and were thought to be operated by Russian crews during the war.

Surprise?? I donot think so intel must have told them about capability of missile boats pak was busy with other stuff and Did not took measure plus acquire anything in Same class

Navy had no eyes and af had no way to operate at night

Surprise?? I donot think so intel must have told them about capability of missile boats pak was busy with other stuff and Did not took measure plus acquire anything in Same class

Navy had no eyes and af had no way to operate at night

Pak / PN's Darkest Hour, wasn't Intel's fault, higher up didn't think that it can be pulled. IN towed the boats close to Pak seas.

+

But the Paf had the answer---.

Back
Top Bottom