What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

If members have viewed the Milgem corvettes it was explained by the manufacturer that PN is getting them without armament and these ships shall be armed by PN on it's own.
PN has many options to arm these corvetes we have our own Harba Ashm, for anti submarine warfare we arm it with Chinese rockets/torpedoes then for SAM we may get Umokhonto from South Africa or substitutes from Italy or China.

Not sure if any additional z-9 are being also considered with new ships currently 6 z-9 I think 4 have Anti sub role and 2 have sar capability. Or all 6 have Anti sub role ?? Older French heli have training plus sar role their anti sub capability is no longer ops I think [emoji848]

Seaking are shore and tanker based

Additional F-22P frigates was fake news reported by many media outlets, including Usman Ansari/Defense News.

This model of export Type 054A was also displayed at IDEAS 2016. Most likely it is the version Pakistan is buying.

csic-4000-ton-ffg-2-jpg.438754

Comparing with the PLAN Type 054A, it doesn't have the Type 366 OTH radar (Chinese copy of Russian Mineral-ME). There are 2x Type 730B CIWS installed besides the FL-3000N launcher. The VLS cells appear to be taller when compared with PLAN Type 054A, which (I think) could be due to the usage of new Chinese 7m VLS.

As per a post on Sina, the Pakistani version will have a 100mm main gun (compared to 76mm) and will carry Kamov Ka-28 helicopter.

Remaining specs of the PN version are unknown.
fl 3000N was a must, i am glade they didnt ignore it,
100mm gun, i wounder it owuld have been better to use more fuel and more space for VLS rather than upping the gun

Last edited:
Not sure if any additional z-9 are being also considered with new ships currently 6 z-9 I think 4 have Anti sub role and 2 have sar capability. Or all 6 have Anti sub role ?? Older French heli have training plus sar role their anti sub capability is no longer ops I think [emoji848]

Seaking are shore and tanker based
All 6 are ASW equipped. But used for SAR and Transport roles or as per the mission requirements.

Congratulations to our Pakistan brothers!

Type 054A is my favorite warship for like 15 years. She is always the most beautiful type in Chinese fleet until the launch of type 055.

For the past decade, type 054A service the Chinese Navy excellently. Though not with the most powerful equipment, I sincerely think the PN made a good choice.

Yes, she has no ability to fire a cruise missile (at least for the original version), but she could totally be the backbone of the system. With this system, PN can actually fire cruise missiles safely from any platform. Comparing to some All-in-one ships, I think this one is actually more efficient.

One real shortage for this class is that she is really defensive, thus not so effective in over sea threatening operations.

Thanks brother. I am hoping, if budget permits that Pakistan would order four Type 54B as a follow on order for the original four Type 54A's to give it an immense offensive punch. If not then the smaller frigate options are quite good e.g. Trimaran frigate 32-cell VLS etc.
Either way I am glad Pakistan looks to China to build it a good navy, it should have happened a long time ago.
I remember posting about this 15 years ago i.e. how Pakistan should join in with the Chinese programs.

If members have viewed the Milgem corvettes it was explained by the manufacturer that PN is getting them without armament and these ships shall be armed by PN on it's own.
PN has many options to arm these corvetes we have our own Harba Ashm, for anti submarine warfare we arm it with Chinese rockets/torpedoes then for SAM we may get Umokhonto from South Africa or substitutes from Italy or China.

For miligem via Italy CAMM-ER, CAMM Sea Captor, Aster-30/15 possible with Smart-S mk2 radar for AAW role.

http://www.mbda-systems.com/product/sea-ceptor/

http://www.mbda-systems.com/product/camm-er/

Last edited:
I wonder if China is building new 054A for Pakistan or refurbishing the existing ones. As far as I am concerned, they stopped production this year at 32 ships, and will be moving on to 054B.

I wonder if China is building new 054A for Pakistan or refurbishing the existing ones. As far as I am concerned, they stopped production this year at 32 ships, and will be moving on to 054B.
As some of the members claimed, it'll be the export variant of O54, which is different from the PLAN/original 054.

Well Pakistan / China are joint by CPEC and this the Ship will be of same quality no doubt
And as some member stated it might be the newer version as old model is not manufactured and that would also be fine from Pakistan prespective

Having 4 Surface ships of quality would certainly improve coastal defence

Only pending question is if one of the ships will be assembled in Pakistan or not
But I would imagine we don't have a facility to service the huge size of this type of ship

Last edited:
I remember a year back (sorry to bore you folks) writing my concern on here about how Pakistan's greatest population centre is on the coast (Karachi), and how precious little there was to stop it being given on a platter to the Indian Navy. Just maybe either someone read what I and others wrote, or it was in the pipeline for a while. I just find it heartening and even wacky to think that maybe some ideas written on here do cross the minds of Pakistan's top brass.

But back to topic this for me honestly is the biggest and happiest news I have had the pleasure to read for a number of years, going as far back as the testing of Babur. Please hit a thanks if you agree.

planType+054ABC+test+firing+HQ-16+A+vertical+launch+system+%2528VLS%2529+Harbin+Z-9C+Jiangkai-II+C+802A+Type+730+CIWS+YJ-83+sea-skimming+anti-ship+cruise+missile+CODAD+Shanghai+Hudong-Zhonghua+Shipyard+and+Guangzhou+Huangpu+ch.jpg

Last edited:
Well this ship has tones of prestige as well as it is quite brand new it is not like we are getting a retired OHP which might be on verge of decomissioning. This is top of line tech and the right combination of size and mission depth

We had a chance once when we were offered the J10B , to be first nation outside of China to fly that bird we missed that chance but like many folks to be one of first nations to have access to this beastly ship great honor for Pakistan Navy

Young Ship with fairly new systems , and HQ-19 Top SAM in CHINESE armory

Type_054A_frigate_0.jpg

After purchase of Agosta SUBS this perhaps is a quite notable addition to Pakistan NAVY

Last edited:

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom