What's new

Pakistan Navy to Purchase Frigates from China

real deal will be the RAM
what antisub capability will it get?
we do have scan eagle so it will fit that profile

an excellent patrol vessel through

RAM/2 will be hard to get, it wont be easy but it can be replaced by Phalanx so not a huge issue , for the Original Hull design does not have a Built-in Sonar, but its Option according to their website, so we have wait and see which hull design or Modification PN chooses .. it can also be equipped with Surface Vessel Torpedo tubes

real deal will be the RAM
what antisub capability will it get?
we do have scan eagle so it will fit that profile

an excellent patrol vessel through
PN already uses ScanEagle UAVs. Honestly, I wouldn't expect much more than guns on these corvettes (mainly CTF-150/151). That said, the Swift Corvette can handle both AShW and ASW, it is up to the PN to equip them that way (and for the US to approve).

PS: notice the Twitter date ... it's September 2016. In other words, the Swift Corvette was being negotiated in parallel with the MILGEM and before they even signed the Letter-of-Intent at IDEF (i.e. May 2017). Heck this is even before IDEAS 2016!

@cabatli_53 Maybe the LF-2400 dream lives.

Then it seems the IDEAS frigate's main differentiating feature is the ability to carry LACM/AShM in VLS.

*No HHQ-9*

It appears more likely that this is the ship PN has ordered.

32 cells can take 8x4=32 DK-10, 8 ASM like Yu-8, and 16 LACM/AShM. Plus 8 AShM/LACM in inclined launchers. Now, that is a major improvement.

*No HHQ-9*

It appears more likely that this is the ship PN has ordered.

32 cells can take 8x4=32 DK-10, 8 ASM like Yu-8, and 16 LACM/AShM. Plus 8 AShM/LACM in inclined launchers. Now, that is a major improvement.
We haven't heard much of the DK-10 since 2014, not even mock-ups of the system in quad-packing form from NORINCO or CSOC. So the alternate SAM in this case would be Umkhonto IR or EIR, but a SR/MR-SAM would still be very limiting seeing that even this frigate has an APAR and over-the-horizon radar (OTHR).

For this kind of ship I would try equipping it with the Russian Redut - i.e. 9M96E2 (5.65 m/120 km range) and 9M96E (4.75 m/60 km range). I'd equip it with 24 cells of 9M96E2 and 8 cells of AShM. Note, the 9M96E2 has a diameter of 240 mm compared to the HQ-9's diameter of 700 mm!

That said, the long-range APAR would certainly help with guiding long-range AShM, esp. a AShM-version of 700+ km Babur. So it'd technically still make sense with SR/MR-SAM and AShM/LACM.

CSOC-frigate-IDEAS-2016-1.jpg

1024px-Air_Defence_System_%22Vityaz%22_%28english_%22Knight%22%29.JPG

Last edited:
We haven't heard much of the DK-10 since 2014, not even mock-ups of the system in quad-packing form from NORINCO or CSOC. So the alternate SAM in this case would be Umkhonto IR or EIR, but a SR/MR-SAM would still be very limiting seeing that even this frigate has an APAR and over-the-horizon radar (OTHR).

Probably under development.

There is a version called DK-10A being offered to export customers with Sky Dragon 50. Seems that DK-10A is the designation of the ground based SAM.

PL-12+version+-+SD-10ABCD+NORINCO+Sky+Dragon+Medium-Range+SAM+System++range+of+medium+altitude+Surface-to-Air+Missile+(SAM)+export+pakistan+navy+air+force+plaaf+china+chinese+area+air+defence+missile+system+simultaneously+(1).jpg

PN already uses ScanEagle UAVs. Honestly, I wouldn't expect much more than guns on these corvettes (mainly CTF-150/151). That said, the Swift Corvette can handle both AShW and ASW, it is up to the PN to equip them that way (and for the US to approve).

PS: notice the Twitter date ... it's September 2016. In other words, the Swift Corvette was being negotiated in parallel with the MILGEM and before they even signed the Letter-of-Intent at IDEF (i.e. May 2017). Heck this is even before IDEAS 2016!

@cabatli_53 Maybe the LF-2400 dream lives.

Bro, It seems Pakistan and Turkey have difficulty to finalize the big deals and Requests just remain on letter of intent stage since financial issues take much time in negotiations so the countries like USA revealing million $ funds to support their position on export markets, take advantage of this conditions so I will wait to be happy until I saw two countries signing official letters with a smile on their faces.

Hull Form Optimization and Model Testing of the I Class Frigate. (2015)
qJRAVR.png

Secondly, I don’t suppose Pakistan will prefer a concept platform like LF-2400 whose underwater and keel optimizations of real models are not even achieved. Effects on the change of center of gravity along with new hull characteristics may need some changes over keel and place of accomodation since VL launchers are stationed on backside above the waterline which is different than Istanbull class frigates. I class’s pool optimizations are perfectly completed and passed into serial production so While a perfect ship like Istanbull class is on table for Pakistan, It is no need to take some risk on engineering study of a concept design that will take much time to get matured for production...

resized_65c49-0409569720170118_2_21360115_18072825.jpg

Bro, It seems Pakistan and Turkey have difficulty to finalize the big deals and Requests just remain on letter of intent stage since financial issues take much time in negotiations so the countries like USA revealing million $ funds to support their position on export markets, take advantage of this conditions so I will wait to be happy until I saw two countries signing official letters with a smile on their faces.

qJRAVR.png

Secondly, I don’t suppose Pakistan will prefer a concept platform like LF-2400 whose underwater and keel optimizations of real models are not even achieved. Effects on the change of center of gravity along with new hull characteristics may need some changes over keel and place of accomodation since VL launchers are stationed on backside above the waterline which is different than Istanbull class frigates. I class’s pool optimizations are perfectly completed and passed into serial production so While a perfect ship like Istanbull class is on table for Pakistan, It is no need to take some risk on engineering study of a concept design that will take much time to get matured for production...

Things are stuck due to political turmoil due to Nawaz Sharif in Pakistan , and elections are due in few month's time

qJRAVR.png

Good thing for Turkey is that time with Pakistan might not be that costly. The Swift Corvettes are meant for CTF-150/151, the US since 2011 has stopped the easy supply of war fighting systems to Pakistan, while Europe is just focused on India and will not look at Pakistan. China is there, but Pakistan likes diversity as well.

qJRAVR.png

Which VL module will the I-Class equip with, Mk 41 self defence or tactical ?

Which VL module will the I-Class equip with, Mk 41 self defence or tactical ?

If nothing is changed, It is tactical MK-41 modules to be integrated on I class frigates similar to MEKO and Gabya class frigates upgraded with same modules but It will be interim solution since Domestic VL launcher is being developed to integrate own developed missile systems...

Last edited:
If nothing is changed, It is tactical MK-41 modules to be integrated on I class frigates similar to MEKO and Gabya class frigates upgraded with same modules but It will be interim solution since Domestic VL launcher is being developed to integrate own developed missile systems...
It would be a blessing for many Muslim navies if Turkey could develop a domestic VLS and air defence system relating thereto.

Things are stuck due to political turmoil due to Nawaz Sharif in Pakistan , and elections are due in few month's time

Evaluating from realistic prespective we can conclude

a) T129 talks have been going on since 2010 , it may look severely delayed however Turkey was still fininshing the production of these Helicopters and they also had a large requirements for local military first.

b) Similarly a same scenario with the Corvettes/Frigates which turkey some of these are newly constructed designs and Turkey is still making few for it's own navy. With the Turkish ship I think we have seen faster progress.

The positive I do see

> Our PM has already gone and shown himself in the cockpit of T-129 which should be a great indication that T-129 will be the workhorse for our Military/ Navy/ Airforce (Aviation machines)

> The Ship matter , we all know the Turkish corvette platforms are heavily favored construction of the big ticket supply ship is the biggest example of growing cooperation in Navy purchase.

My guess is a reaslitic decision will only come after our elections

• The frigate from China which have been discussed , is a deal from 2006 when we first got our F22P we had option to get a upgraded F22P or a different ship during Musharaf's time an older order

It would be a blessing for many Muslim navies if Turkey could develop a domestic VLS and air defence system relating thereto.

Countless missile and air defence projects for Navy, Land and Air Forces. Turkish industry has catched the tail of technology; generating many projects with adding new capabilities&subsystems over and over another insatiably. Turkish PM love showing off the strength of national products to criticize Western embargo in his speeches so Yesterday, He underlined that Turkey will station own developed national air defence umbrella in a short time and share them with brother states without any limitation.

Milli Dikey Atım Sistemi: National Vertical Launch System
Sapan is considered to be a RAM equivalent Air Defence Missile.
Korkut-D is Naval CIWS
Hisar-A/O/U is Low/Medium/Long Altitude SAM projects (IIR/RF/Hybrid seeker head variants)
img_3028-jpg.390123

we were recently denied harpoons, and RAM i doubt it
thats the reason why swift makes no sense, i wount be surprised if the news was inaccurate

We have harpoon block-2 available so they may be fitted on those.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom