What's new

Pakistan Naval Aviation - Updated

Sweden refused to sell Swordfish to Pakistan due to Indian pressure. Saab has a foolish assumption that India will choose Gripen as winner of its MRCA.
When you desperate U make mistakes that what Saab did indian economy is in crisis I doubt they will buy western option probably Russian or LCA what U think other options are? Navy Cheif once said about P8 too when he visited US.

We should now look for P3C replacement
Besides P-8 there is no direct replacement option for P-3C that can offer the similar offensive punch and the endurance. P-3Cs are indispensable and in many ways even the P-8 isnt a worthy replacement. PN wants a jet option, will have to wait and see, maybe there will be more options cropping up from a supplier.

Personally hoping the Chinese come up with their own equivalent so the platform would be able to carry the Chinese AShM or indigenous options as well as be able to datalink with PNs expected revamped surface assets. I also see long endurance UAVs taking over work load from ASW planes as well.
Not a priority now because of other inductions, who knows couple of years from now maybe PN embarks on JV for a customized platform with a EU based supplier. As off the shelf solution for PN unlikely.

Last edited:
From interviews it is clear that whatever replacement there will be for a the P-3 it will be a jet powered aircraft and not turbo prop.

Since P-8s are unlikely for PN, this leaves the in development A319MPA for PN, being a EU aircraft PN can have it customized and since PIA extensively operates and is inducting more A320s it would be easy to maintain.

The A319MPA is still in development (with France, Germany, Turkey as potential clients) was pitched to India as well but they chose the P-8 instead, so the suppliers can not be bullied to not sell to Pakistan.
a320neo_white_background_high_res.jpg

Last edited:
From interviews it is clear that whatever replacement there will be for a the P-3 it will be a jet powered aircraft and not turbo prop.

Since P-8s are unlikely for PN, this leaves the in development A319MPA for PN, being a EU aircraft PN can have it customized and since PIA extensively operates and is inducting more A320s it would be easy to maintain.

The A319MPA is still in development (with France, Germany, Turkey as potential clients) was pitched to India as well but they chose the P-8 instead, so the suppliers can not be bullied to not sell to Pakistan.
a320neo_white_background_high_res.jpg

This seems like a good option, and now that PN has experiance of essentially integrating European kit into European airframes with the ATR MPAs for its medium range MPA it may well decide this is a good option for it's long range heavyweight MPAs. Only issue here PN will become first and only operator in the world of this

Besides P-8 there is no direct replacement option for P-3C that can offer the similar offensive punch and the endurance. P-3Cs are indispensable and in many ways even the P-8 isnt a worthy replacement. PN wants a jet option, will have to wait and see, maybe there will be more options cropping up from a supplier.

Personally hoping the Chinese come up with their own equivalent so the platform would be able to carry the Chinese AShM or indigenous options as well as be able to datalink with PNs expected revamped surface assets. I also see long endurance UAVs taking over work load from ASW planes as well.
Not a priority now because of other inductions, who knows couple of years from now maybe PN embarks on JV for a customized platform with a EU based supplier. As off the shelf solution for PN unlikely.

Actually the chinese have a good option for replacing P-3C except its a turboprop which frankly is more economical. The Y-8Q aka Y-8GX6. The name is a bit misleading as it is actually on a Y-9 platform but it has a powerful AESA radar, a modern acoustics suite, the largest MAD in the world, can carry over 100 Sonobuey, and 6-8 heavy torpedos or C-802 AShM.

IMO ... I think we'll see a working alternative from Leonardo or RAS in 2-3 years.

Interesting discussions and speculative assessments on future of PN MPA. However reality is a tad different to what everyone is saying here. All I can divulge at this stage is that PN has already begun the process for a new MPA. But now is not the time to say more. But interesting thread and I’ll keep any eye on it.

When you desperate U make mistakes that what Saab did indian economy is in crisis I doubt they will buy western option probably Russian or LCA what U think other options are? Navy Cheif once said about P8 too when he visited US.
Once they get rejected they may come back. The point is it is sensible for them to remain in contention by not upsetting their client for the moment. The IAF procurement cycles are beyond comprehension as they have just sunk 8 billion in a twin engine fighter. Now they are out to get a single engine fighter. It tells me either Tejas is not upto the mark and rejected by IAF oe they are out to make some money by setting up a competition eating a lot of bakhshish and then either going for more Rafales or developing the Tejas.
A

Interesting discussions and speculative assessments on future of PN MPA. However reality is a tad different to what everyone is saying here. All I can divulge at this stage is that PN has already begun the process for a new MPA. But now is not the time to say more. But interesting thread and I’ll keep any eye on it.
It'll never happen, but I do like the Kawasaki P1.

Back
Top Bottom