What's new

Pakistan has 3 of the best 19 Muslim cities!

Well, just like I presented the rankings of Asiaweek, you presented the rankings of the Foreign Policy magazine. Whatever floats your boat. The parameters that are selected are also based on opinion, as well as the numerical values assigned to each parameter. So yes, it is opinion.

No they are not. I really don't know what to say when you simply say that an internationally reputed ranking system is just an "opinion". Do tell me though Mr. Urban Planning scholar (I am sure you have a post doctorate in this field), exactly what parameters do you not agree with? What parameters should have been added to this study? Which numerical values have been wrongly assigned exactly and why do you think these values should be revised? I bet you don't have any idea on a single thing I have asked. Your thought process mostly goes - Hey this study shows India is better than Pakistan at something - must be fake/"opinion".

Going by your logic, everything in this world would be opinion, including the literally millions of India related thread you have posted in this forum (things like India being dirty/congested poor). Its like me saying all these articles posted are "opinions".

However, poverty remains a major challenge though it is declining steadily but slowly. Based on the new official poverty lines, 42% of people in rural areas and 26% of people in urban areas lived below the poverty line in 2004-05. Official poverty estimates for 2009-10 are not yet available but preliminary estimates suggest that in 2009-10 the combined all India poverty rate was 32% compared to 37% in 2004-05.

Source- World Bank
India - India Country Overview- September 2011

Are bhai, you are giving a Pakistani newspaper link saying the poverty levels of Pakistan are at 37.5%. Here is another ranking showing that 77% (836 million Indians) of Indians earn less than 20 rupees a day, whereas the poverty rate is $1 a day:

836 million Indians live on less than Rs 20 a day - Business News - IBNLive

I gave you the link of the World Bank 2011 report, & the page from which the figure is given.

Arey Burbak, perhaps you never bothered to read the link I provided to you. That is based on your own planning commission report.

According to Pakistans Planning Commission, poverty rate has jumped from 23.9 to 37.5 percent in the last three years. The commission has estimated that in 2005 there were 35.5 million people living below the poverty line but in 2008 their number increased to over 64 million. Consequently, unemployment has also increased.

And the news you provided is not based on India's planning commission report but some silly NGO even conflicting World Banks estimate based on $1/day.

No they are not. I really don't know what to say when you simply say that an internationally reputed ranking system is just an "opinion". Do tell me though Mr. Urban Planning scholar (I am sure you have a post doctorate in this field), exactly what parameters do you not agree with? What parameters should have been added to this study? Which numerical values have been wrongly assigned exactly and why do you think these values should be revised? I bet you don't have any idea on a single thing I have asked. Your thought process mostly goes - Hey this study shows India is better than Pakistan at something - must be fake/"opinion".

Going by your logic, everything in this world would be opinion, including the literally millions of India related thread you have posted in this forum (things like India being dirty/congested poor). Its like me saying all these articles posted are "opinions".

The World Bank/UN/IMF/CIA World Factbook rankings are given based on a specific criteria. For example, they set the international poverty line at $1.25 a day standardizing the system (whereas India kept it at $0.5 a day), and then physically determined how much the average citizens met that standard using official data. If you can point to me what official physical data was used to assign the specific numerical values for each parameter, that would be great. And why did they select certain criteria, but not others?

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

However, poverty remains a major challenge though it is declining steadily but slowly. Based on the new official poverty lines, 42% of people in rural areas and 26% of people in urban areas lived below the poverty line in 2004-05. Official poverty estimates for 2009-10 are not yet available but preliminary estimates suggest that in 2009-10 the combined all India poverty rate was 32% compared to 37% in 2004-05.

Source- World Bank
India - India Country Overview- September 2011

India's official poverty line is also set at $0.5 a day, whereas the international poverty line is set at $1.25 a day.

In absolute terms, 41.6 per cent of India's 1.1 billion people earn less than 78 pence per day compared with 22.6 per cent of Pakistan's 173 million.

Working in
Pakistan: Orangi Pilot Project
Homeless International’s partner in Pakistan is the Orangi Pilot Project (OPP), a non-governmental organisation which began work in Orangi, a town on the outskirts of Karachi, in 1980.
OPP operates programmes in low cost sanitation, housing, health, education, research, training and credit for micro enterprise. OPP provides social and technical guidance to communities, and strengthens partner NGOs/CBOs and government agencies across Pakistan.
Homeless International has worked with OPP since 1998 on initiatives including education and housing. It has also supported its efforts to provide emergency relief after the 2005 earthquake and incidents of flooding, including the devastating floods in July 2010.
Project of 1980?:woot:

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

You do know that according to the very info posted in this thread, every single city in India is doing better than Pakistan right? If cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Calcutta are trash, what are Pakistani cities that rank way below it ?
Orangi of Karachi of 1980
orangi-560x311.jpg

Dhuravi of mumbai of 2012
mumbai1-low.gif

Project of 1980?:woot:

Its ongoing mate see it says in July 2010 floods it did some work.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Worlds most dangerous cities
10 Most Dangerous Cities in the World in 2011 !!!

Muzaffarabad, Kashmir, Pakistan
Although it is considered a “paradise on earth,” primarily known for its captivating beauty serene lakes, dazzling rivers and splendid gardens, Kashmir is thought* by many academics to be the place where the next nuclear holocaust will occur. The region is divided among 3 countries (India, Pakistan and China) in a territorial dispute. These 3 countries are Nuclear armed states, and the tension in Kashmir has resulted in nuclear brinkmanship between Pakistan and India on several occasions. Rallies, demonstrations, and processions occur regularly throughout Pakistan on very short notice. Organised crime in Pakistan include drug trafficking, forged Indian currency printing, extortion, murder for hire and fraud. Furthermore, other criminal operations engage in human trafficking, black marketeering, corruption, political violence, abduction, terrorism etc.

India's official poverty line is also set at $0.5 a day, whereas the international poverty line is set at $1.25 a day.

In absolute terms, 41.6 per cent of India's 1.1 billion people earn less than 78 pence per day compared with 22.6 per cent of Pakistan's 173 million.

Bilal Bhai, I already told that is old data. That 22.3% data is from 2006. The Telegraph published news based on 2005-2006 Data not on 2011 data because India has fared much better than others in poverty reduction in last 6-7 yrs.

Read this link
UNDP - Pakistan - Poverty Reduction

Percentage of People living below Poverty Line i.e. Rs. 948.7 per adult equivalent per month (estimated for year 2006)** 22.3%

Its ongoing mate see it says in July 2010 floods it did some work.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Worlds most dangerous cities
10 Most Dangerous Cities in the World in 2011 !!!

Muzaffarabad, Kashmir, Pakistan
Although it is considered a “paradise on earth,” primarily known for its captivating beauty serene lakes, dazzling rivers and splendid gardens, Kashmir is thought* by many academics to be the place where the next nuclear holocaust will occur. The region is divided among 3 countries (India, Pakistan and China) in a territorial dispute. These 3 countries are Nuclear armed states, and the tension in Kashmir has resulted in nuclear brinkmanship between Pakistan and India on several occasions. Rallies, demonstrations, and processions occur regularly throughout Pakistan on very short notice. Organised crime in Pakistan include drug trafficking, forged Indian currency printing, extortion, murder for hire and fraud. Furthermore, other criminal operations engage in human trafficking, black marketeering, corruption, political violence, abduction, terrorism etc.
for flood and earth quake victums not slums..
It has also supported its efforts to provide emergency relief after the 2005 earthquake and incidents of flooding, including the devastating floods in July 2010.
Can't differenciate b/w natural disasters and normal condition?
This organisations are making fool to whole world ,Orangi town was rebuild by their own citizens and city government not by some homeless organisation..

Homeless International’s partner in Pakistan is the Orangi Pilot Project (OPP), a non-governmental organisation which began work in Orangi, a town on the outskirts of Karachi, in 1980.
may be they had done something in late 80's ..its too old.. man tooooo old

for flood and earth quake victums not slums..
Can't differenciate b/w natural disasters and normal condition?
This organisations are making fool to whole world ,Orangi town was rebuild by their own citizens and city government not by some homeless organisation..

may be they had done something in late 80's ..its too old.. man tooooo old

Arent we talking about general problema and not specific problems?

Both look equally dirty slums but picture of Orangi Town is little bit blurred.
:rofl: In orangi town they have homes made up of concrete not with Tin plates...

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Arent we talking about general problema and not specific problems?
SO What do you thing , wat are the general problems of Karachi's citizen?

Back
Top Bottom